Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

@CaseySJ

I am not sure if this works. But for just environment variable, try this without Automator.

In Terminal:
sudo nano ~/.bash_profile

add this line to the above file:
export MKL_DEBUG_CPU_TYPE=2

^O to save it
^X to exit

Let's see if Photoshop can start or not...
I tried this last week, but with this method it is necessary to launch Adobe apps from the Terminal command line.

Beta App test results updated above.

On a new install of BS with no 3rd party apps installed, I just installed After Effects Beta (with Media Encoder beta), Premier Pro Beta and illustrator Beta.

None of the patches/fixes for Photoshop etc have been applied.

After Effects, Media Encoder, and Premier Pro load out of the box without any issues.

Illustrator crashed.

View attachment 491217
Exactly the same on my B550 Vision D.

Okay, here's a new After Effects test project, this time without 600MB of video footage so I can upload directly to the forum. Excuse the ugly art – I had to strip off client branding and change up the color scheme before uploading.

If either of you who've installed After Effects have time, I'd love if you could test the following:
  1. Does this file open?
  2. If you drag the playhead in the main timeline (the tab named "card_rain"), does it move around smoothly? (The image in the preview window will probably just be a wireframe, that's fine).
  3. When you release the playhead, about how long does it take to preview the new frame?
  4. If all that works without crashing, can you go to Window > Render Queue and hit Render on the enqueued item? How long does it take? (If the estimate is hours, please just cancel and don't wait around for it)
This is a little bit of a convoluted test, because it's leveraging both CPU- and GPU-intensive functions, and also makes use of the embedded Cinema4D render engine. So there are a lot of points of failure on unsupported systems like these.

But if everything works, it's just about selling me on building a Threadripper Hackintosh.

Attachments

• card_rain folder.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 58
After more testing Firewire and the UAD Satellite, every boot it does not show up. I have to disconnect the Firewire dongle from the TB3-TB2 dongle for it to show up again... pretty cumbersome if you need to bend over everytime :)

Also noting that Sidecar is not working, i suppose since there is no QuickSync.

Last edited:
Okay, here's a new After Effects test project, this time without 600MB of video footage so I can upload directly to the forum. Excuse the ugly art – I had to strip off client branding and change up the color scheme before uploading.

If either of you who've installed After Effects have time, I'd love if you could test the following:
  1. Does this file open?
  2. If you drag the playhead in the main timeline (the tab named "card_rain"), does it move around smoothly? (The image in the preview window will probably just be a wireframe, that's fine).
  3. When you release the playhead, about how long does it take to preview the new frame?
  4. If all that works without crashing, can you go to Window > Render Queue and hit Render on the enqueued item? How long does it take? (If the estimate is hours, please just cancel and don't wait around for it)
This is a little bit of a convoluted test, because it's leveraging both CPU- and GPU-intensive functions, and also makes use of the embedded Cinema4D render engine. So there are a lot of points of failure on unsupported systems like these.

But if everything works, it's just about selling me on building a Threadripper Hackintosh.
1 - File opened without issue.
2 - Very smoothly
3 - From as long as 1.5 seconds to just milliseconds.
4 - Elapsed time 3 min 34 seconds.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-10 at 19.53.53.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-10 at 19.53.53.png
    148.5 KB · Views: 54
1 - File opened without issue.
2 - Very smoothly
3 - From as long as 1.5 seconds to just milliseconds.
4 - Elapsed time 3 min 34 seconds.

Thank you SO MUCH. That's significantly faster than I remember this shot rendering on the workstation in my profile. I'll test on my machine again once the current project I'm rendering in the background is finished.

In the not too distant future, I hope to build something similar to what you've got. If I recall correctly, you got started on your build by following along in the Italian forum, right?

Thank you SO MUCH. That's significantly faster than I remember this shot rendering on the workstation in my profile. I'll test on my machine again once the current project I'm rendering in the background is finished.

In the not too distant future, I hope to build something similar to what you've got. If I recall correctly, you got started on your build by following along in the Italian forum, right?
Yes, that is correct. If you need an EFI, just ask.

I'm just running the other benchmark and will leave it running whilst I go and have my dinner.

All running stable here, OC 3600XT to 4.5 at 1.3v

Other than manual unplugging and plugging back in the Firewire dongle, everything is running fine.
Hopefully in a month, ZEN3 will be installed in this build.

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 21.45.10.png

@NCMacGuy,

Just retested Thunderbolt and found that things are better than I thought!
  • Thunderbolt devices connect and work under these conditions:
    • On a cold boot
    • On shutdown followed by start (without turning off the power supply)
    • On hot plug
    • On wake from sleep
  • The only condition where they don't reconnect is:
    • Boot into macOS and hit Restart from the Apple menu
This system is flashed with modified NVM 33 from Designare Z390.
@CaseySJ

I'm still testing how the B550 Vision D works with an un-flashed TB3 chip, and the replaced WiFi/BT in the M2_WiFi slot. I'm using Catalina 10.15.7 and public beta Bid Sur with both OC 0.6.1 and OC 0.6.2.

This board is very inconsistent in how it does or doesn't mount my TB3 drive with various combinations of OC and macOS.

For example, in one run with Big Sur public beta and OC 0.6.1:

Power off 10 seconds, power on, startup, NO TB3 mounted. Hot Plug - NO TB3 mounted. Reboot, NO TB3 mounted. Use Apple Sleep - does not sleep and system hangs. Reset button to restart - NO TB3. Shutdown. Startup and TB3 drive is mounted in OC Picker and appears in Finder. Use the Jettison app to unmount and remount. Unmount and unplug drive, then hot plug and the TB3 drive is mounted.

With the public beta Big Sur and OC 0.6.2 - TB3 does not work at all for me. I'm unable to get my external TB3 drive to mount under any conditions. I used the VISION-D-N0-SLEEP EFI file CaseySJ posted on page 1.

With Catalina 10.15.7, and OC 0.6.2, TB3 drive mounting is a mixed bag:

Once after turning the power off for 10 seconds, then starting, the TB3 drive was displayed in the OC Picker, and was mounted in Finder.

• Usually on a cold or warm boot the TB3 was not mounted. However, selecting "Sleep" from the Apple menu the B550 Vision D would momentarily turn off, then on, then return to the desktop and the TB3 drive was mounted. Selecting "Sleep" again would put the B550 into a powered-off sleep state (no lights on). Hitting a keyboard key would wake the B550 and the TB3 drive remained mounted, and everything was functional. Using the Jettison app the drive could be unmounted and remounted. Generally hot plugging the TB3 drive didn't mount it.

Who would have thought that putting the B550 to sleep would result in mounting a TB3 drive?

Based on my observations, TB3 chip flashing will be required for the B550 Vision D.

After more testing Firewire and the UAD Satellite, every boot it does not show up. I have to disconnect the Firewire dongle from the TB3-TB2 dongle for it to show up again... pretty cumbersome if you need to bend over everytime :)

Also noting that Sidecar is not working, i suppose since there is no QuickSync.
Thunderbolt devices will not reconnect if we do Apple Menu --> Reboot, but they should reconnect every time we do shutdown then press power button to start. Please check if that works.

Back