Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Good day to all. I am planning to build a new computer. The main tasks are working with Adobe (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesine) and Final Cut. How well do AMD processors perform with these programs? Thanks in advance for your help.

Some other factors that may affect your decision:

I don't know how you can make it, but I am impressed: you are everywhere showing extensive knowledge. Thank you thank you thank you.

• Virtual machines do not work at this time. We’ve tried Fusion, Parallels, and VirtualBox.

Damnit I didn't know this. I knew Parallels relies on Intel VT technology, but I thought that VMware didn't need it. Does it applies to both Zen 2 & 3 to be problematic? I guess that B550 Vs X570 doesn't make any difference for virtualization.
Out of curiosity, does the opposite work? Running Mac on Windows under AMD system. Because I spend quite a bit of time in Windows, needing to go back and forth between Win&Mac. At the moment this is done virtualizing Win under Mac on a MBP. I might have the MBP running MacOS, and an AMD based PC Windows based running MscOS virtualized. Not ideal tho, need to think about it.

• Thunderbolt monitors such as the LG UltraFine 5K are problematic at best on an Intel Hackintosh. The latest model (with Titan Ridge on board) is especially problematic. Thunderbolt on AMD platforms is very finicky even for simple devices like docks. We are fortunate that B550 Vision D has a very usable implementation of Thunderbolt, but it is still not as reliable and compatible as that on Intel boards.

Got the Alpine Ridge one. Moreover, lately I bought a 4k DP monitor which helps with workflow and is useful if the TB monitor cannot be used under BIOS, too.
But I really would like to use my 5k monitor, that's why I got the Titan Ridge card, to make it sure it gets the full 5k signal.

• I love the B550 Vision D and my X570 Taichi, both of which are running Big Sur 11.1. With standard DisplayPort and HDMI monitors, these systems work very well on “regular” computing tasks, even software development with Xcode. If you avoid Adobe apps, virtual machines, and “complex” Thunderbolt devices (audio interfaces and eGPUs) you can have a wonderful computing experience.

Actually, I also need a little bit of Adobe applications to run under MacOS. Have seen your first post where you talk about hacks to make them work under AMD.

TL;DR if I cannot use any virtualization under AMD system on Mac, either I consider a Win based AMD PC or I simply stick with Intel...

PS: someone wrote me privately but I am not able to access the conversation as I don't have enough posts. Is there anything I can do about it..?

Damnit I didn't know this. I knew Parallels relies on Intel VT technology, but I thought that VMware didn't need it. Does it applies to both Zen 2 & 3 to be problematic? I guess that B550 Vs X570 doesn't make any difference for virtualization.
Correct -- we see this problem on both Zen 2 and Zen 3. And also on B550 and X570.
Out of curiosity, does the opposite work? Running Mac on Windows under AMD system. Because I spend quite a bit of time in Windows, needing to go back and forth between Win&Mac. At the moment this is done virtualizing Win under Mac on a MBP. I might have the MBP running MacOS, and an AMD based PC Windows based running MscOS virtualized. Not ideal tho, need to think about it.
Interesting -- I've not looked into this myself, but I know that shortly after Threadripper TRX40 systems became available, clever Hackintoshers were running macOS at near-native speeds in a Linux virtual machine! Many of them are still doing so.
Got the Alpine Ridge one. Moreover, lately I bought a 4k DP monitor which helps with workflow and is useful if the TB monitor cannot be used under BIOS, too.
But I really would like to use my 5k monitor, that's why I got the Titan Ridge card, to make it sure it gets the full 5k signal.
Sometimes it's better to have an older model. The Alpine Ridge version of LG UltraFine 5K should work with GC-Alpine Ridge card quite well. Please see this very current post and its follow-ups:
Actually, I also need a little bit of Adobe applications to run under MacOS. Have seen your first post where you talk about hacks to make them work under AMD.
In my experience (discussed earlier in this thread) some Adobe works work as-is (no patch needed). Those that require a patch may work two or three times in a row, but may crash when starting up a 4th or 5th time. Only you can judge whether this is acceptable to you.

Good day to all. I am planning to build a new computer. The main tasks are working with Adobe (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesine) and Final Cut. How well do AMD processors perform with these programs? Thanks in advance for your help.
Hello @huro73, fortunately this question is addressed in the two posts directly above.

Здравствуйте, [USER = 701661] @ huro73 [/ USER], к счастью, этот вопрос в двух сообщениях непосредственно выше.
CaseySJ, thank you for everything you do for the community.

Last edited:
[..]
Interesting -- I've not looked into this myself, but I know that shortly after Threadripper TRX40 systems became available, clever Hackintoshers were running macOS at near-native speeds in a Linux virtual machine! Many of them are still doing so.

So you never looked much into this solution, have you?
I didn't do an extensive research into this solution. However, I stumbled across this website. It doesn't seem a very viable option, quite a bit of downsides (audio non working, sluggish performances). Seems more of a solution to make it work somehow.

Sometimes it's better to have an older model. The Alpine Ridge version of LG UltraFine 5K should work with GC-Alpine Ridge card quite well. Please see this very current post and its follow-ups:

I see. Got the Titan Ridge V2 thinking "the latest is the best". But it may be not. Will see once I install everything.

In my experience (discussed earlier in this thread) some Adobe works work as-is (no patch needed). Those that require a patch may work two or three times in a row, but may crash when starting up a 4th or 5th time. Only you can judge whether this is acceptable to you.

I thought things were working without any hiccup once figured out which hack to put in place.

So no virtualization on AMD when running macOS.
And troublesome virtualization of macOS when using Windows.
...might have to stick with Intel, hoping that 11th gen won't be as power hungry as this one and will bring some improvements. Very little hope to be honest...

@xtreem.p You mentioned the ASrock X570 (Phantom gaming ITX). I would love to go to Ryzen, however compared to the ASRock Z490 this X570 motherboard seems to be much lighter weight when it comes to connectivity. (USB3.2, 2.5Gb ethernet, 2 NVME). Some of these constraints can be tackled by using a docking station. Did you try this connected to the ASrock TB port? If I can do 2 times 4K@60 external monitor, I can use the PCI slot for 2.5Gbit ethernet (and 10Gb in the future).

I love the B550 Vision D and my X570 Taichi, both of which are running Big Sur 11.1. With standard DisplayPort and HDMI monitors, these systems work very well on “regular” computing tasks, even software development with Xcode. If you avoid Adobe apps, virtual machines, and “complex” Thunderbolt devices (audio interfaces and eGPUs) you can have a wonderful computing experience.

@CaseySJ Do eGPUs not work on this motherboard with the flashed TB3 firmware?

@CaseySJ Do eGPUs not work on this motherboard with the flashed TB3 firmware?
My eGPU does work fine, but when I disconnect it by using the menu bar icon, the system can crash. Last time I checked this was during Big Sur public beta period. I can try again shortly (my system is running 11.2 public beta).

@CaseySJ "With standard DisplayPort and HDMI monitors, these systems work very well on “regular” computing tasks, even software development with Xcode." I was under the impression that DP and HDMI provided by the motherboard of AMD based boards are a no go with Hackintosh. Do you mean to tell this is not the case with your board? If so is that this particular board, or is it valid for all X570/B550 boards that offer DP and/or HDMI?

Back