Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

thanks CaseySJ! I tried without touching your EFI folder and did delete agdpmod=pikera from NVRAM --> Boot-Args. none of them works. can you please advise!
Unfortunately the only other suggestion I can offer is to try disabling WhateverGreen.

I would also recommend searching the amd-osx.com website by clicking here:

I really should buy a new AMD video card to save all the hassle... I appreciate your prompt reply to my question. please keep on the fantastic project.

You see the title of this thread??

Soon the title will change! :)

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + AMD RX 6800 XT​

Big Sur. Big Navi. This is ‘too’ Big.
(Ok, I’m done with bad puns.)

I sold my (mostly unused) ASRock X570 Creator to raise funds.

Fine print: Assumes Big Sur kernel patches are available for Ryzen 3 and Big Sur supports Big Navi.
Cant wait! Your other guide is what I followed to make my first Hackintosh Pro and I LOVE it. Thank you!

Just got my hands on a 5900x and looking to make an ITX Ryzentosh build. Any chance you'd consider a guide/build for ITX?

Cant wait! Your other guide is what I followed to make my first Hackintosh Pro and I LOVE it. Thank you!

Just got my hands on a 5900x and looking to make an ITX Ryzentosh build. Any chance you'd consider a guide/build for ITX?
Hey.. if you have been reading through this thread you might have seen that im running the Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 with 5950X and if you follow the Dortania guide you will be able to get started.

Last edited:
Hi Casey,

Thank you for the awesome guide.
I put my first ryzentosh together and it worked perfectly out of the box.

Hardware is the b550 vision d board with bios f11n
Ryzen 3700x
Radeon rx 580

Most awesome thing: I was able to clone the Mojave 10.14.6 and Windows 10 20h2 M.2 disk from my Z390 Designare i9 machine with Clonezilla, and the only thing left to do is generate new UUID/SMBIOS and replace the EFI partition on the OS X disk with the AMD specific EFI.

Kudos!

Wow! What an awesome build. i would like one like this for me, but this mobo is too expensive :(

Thanks for your job :clap:.

Hey.. if you have been reading through this thread you might have seen that im running the Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 with 5950X and if you follow the Dortania guide you will be able to get started.

Have you made any progress on the Thunderbolt issue?
Just getting as much feedback as possible (Casey here has been very clear, but it's also true he was speaking especially for the B550 platform) - if it were your only Hackintosh, would you go for the X570 over Z490?

Have you made any progress on the Thunderbolt issue?
Just getting as much feedback as possible (Casey here has been very clear, but it's also true he was speaking especially for the B550 platform) - if it were your only Hackintosh, would you go for the X570 over Z490?
Hi,

If you are making music and depend on plugins compatibility, I'd suggest the Intel route. I have my Z390 that I use solely for music, and it's very much my own golden build. It is super rock solid.

With this Asrock X570, it only has 1 TB3 port, and it's not super optimized probably due to Asrocks ACPI implementation as @CaseySJ stated. It does work if you connect and power-on your TB devices prior to turning the computer on.. but for me at least it wont shutdown if I use the DTPG and TB3 SSDT ...

Hi,

If you are making music and depend on plugins compatibility, I'd suggest the Intel route. I have my Z390 that I use solely for music, and it's very much my own golden build. It is super rock solid.

With this Asrock X570, it only has 1 TB3 port, and it's not super optimized probably due to Asrocks ACPI implementation as @CaseySJ stated. It does work if you connect and power-on your TB devices prior to turning the computer on.. but for me at least it wont shutdown if I use the DTPG and TB3 SSDT ...
Hey, thanks a lot for your reply.

Oh okay, I thought you had a Z490 based system.
Well, I have parts for a Z490 system but still in the return window. As for Thunderbolt, I do need it for a 5K monitor. Got a Titan Ridge card which is going to feed it no matter which system I go for.

It's just that I am very tempted by going for a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master + 5900X/5950X. Less power consumption and much more horsepower compared to the 10900K. I mess around with virtual machines, do some video stuff. I am a bit afraid to be lonely in setting it up, as it's my first Hack and I don't have the experience you guys have.
I was wondering, it I choose the X570, would you and the other people help me out if I have issues I can't solve on my own? Worst case scenario, I could send back the CPU+Motherboard and go for the Z490 system.

Hey, thanks a lot for your reply.

Oh okay, I thought you had a Z490 based system.
Well, I have parts for a Z490 system but still in the return window. As for thunderbolt, I do need it for a 5k monitor. Got a Titan Ridge card which is going to feed it no matter which system I go for.

It's just that I am very tempted by going for a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master + 5900X/5950X. Less power consumption and much more horsepower compared to the 10900k. I mess around with virtual machines, do some video stuff. I am a bit afraid to be lonely in setting it up, as it's my first Hack and I don't have the experience you guys have.
I was wondering, it I choose the X570, would you and the other people help me out if I have issues I can't solve on my own? Worst case scenario, I could send back the CPU+Motherboard and go for the Z490 system.
Some other factors that may affect your decision:
  • Virtual machines do not work at this time. We’ve tried Fusion, Parallels, and VirtualBox.
  • Thunderbolt monitors such as the LG UltraFine 5K are problematic at best on an Intel Hackintosh. The latest model (with Titan Ridge on board) is especially problematic. Thunderbolt on AMD platforms is very finicky even for simple devices like docks. We are fortunate that B550 Vision D has a very usable implementation of Thunderbolt, but it is still not as reliable and compatible as that on Intel boards.
  • I love the B550 Vision D and my X570 Taichi, both of which are running Big Sur 11.1. With standard DisplayPort and HDMI monitors, these systems work very well on “regular” computing tasks, even software development with Xcode. If you avoid Adobe apps, virtual machines, and “complex” Thunderbolt devices (audio interfaces and eGPUs) you can have a wonderful computing experience.

Back