Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

AMD LGA 1718 socket and CPU vs. Intel LGA 1700 socket and CPU

AMD's AM5 socket is smaller than Intel's LGA 1700 socket despite having 18 more pins
AMD accomplishes this by cleverly moving surface mount devices from the socket onto the front of CPU

1580638-Ryzen-7000-Series_9_7950X_9-2.png
Intel-LGA-1700-Socket-For-Alder-Lake-Desktop-CPUs-e1631670509551.png

Even the back of Ryzen 7000 is clean -- no surface mount devices
lNngZskNwfs3ZlLa.jpg

This allows existing AM4 coolers to be used on AM5 sockets

1641551455_AMD-you-wont-have-to-change-your-AM5-motherboard-theyll.png

AMD LGA 1718 socket and CPU vs. Intel LGA 1700 socket and CPU

AMD's AM5 socket is smaller than Intel's LGA 1700 socket despite having 18 more pins
AMD accomplishes this by cleverly moving surface mount devices from the socket onto the front of CPU

View attachment 554158 View attachment 554159

Even the back of Ryzen 7000 is clean -- no surface mount devices
View attachment 554154

This allows existing AM4 coolers to be used on AM5 sockets

View attachment 554156

Looks interesting. What's more, with a standard square-shaped board there should be no warping or uneven pressure issues that the Intel is suffering from. :thumbup:

Hi all,

I recently bought the UltraStudio monitor 3G (Thunderbolt 3) from Blackmagic in order to change my old UltraStudio Mini monitor (Thunderbolt 2). With the Mini monitor, I used the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and everything works well (Picture 2).

But with the UltraStudio monitor 3G connect directly on Thunderbolt 3, the Blackmagic Desktop Video 12.4 doesn't recognize the UltraStudio monitor 3G (picture 1).
I tested on my M1 laptop and everything works with with UltraStudio monitor 3G.
And everything works well on my others boot (windows 11, Rocky linux)

Any idea? PCI bus trouble? BM Driver? Thunderbolt patch on vision D I have increased Memory allocation in BIOS under Thunderbolt Titan. Thanks for your precious help!

Update // Downgrade to Desktop Video 11.7 and UltraStudio monitor 3G works fine !
BM drivers with M1 architecture of plug in was the trouble.
Update // works for Desktop Video 12.4 and UltraStudio monitor 3G
delete com.blackmagic-design.dext BlackmagicIO.DExt.dext
in /Library/SystemExtensions and /Library/DriverExtensions
and add move BlackmagicIO.kext, DeckLink_Driver.kext in /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Blackmagic DeckLink/Signed Extensions to /Library/Extensions and restart et allow authorize Desktop in system preferences

Now, I'm just waiting for Apple driver Metal (revision rom) for AMD 6750XT for perfect editing workstation....

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ

Good news, you were right about my GPU. I replaced the old Vega 56 with a 5700 XT and I no longer have the issues I was previously experiencing!

Whilst I was upgrading my GPU, I decided to replace my old fan cooler for the CPU with an 360mm AIO and I also added the GC Titan Ridge v2.0 Thunderbolt add-in card to my bottom spare PCIE slot on my X570S Aero motherboard.

Quick question, but do you know what SSDT I would require to enable it on the Hackintosh? I read your guide for the B550 and its built in Thunderbolt and also about flashing the firmware. I don't require the firmware to be flashed so hopefully its nothing too complicated. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ

Good news, you were right about my GPU. I replaced the old Vega 56 with a 5700 XT and I no longer have the issues I was previously experiencing!
Glad to hear it!

Whilst I was upgrading my GPU, I decided to replace my old fan cooler for the CPU with an 360mm AIO and I also added the GC Titan Ridge v2.0 Thunderbolt add-in card to my bottom spare PCIE slot on my X570S Aero motherboard.

Quick question, but do you know what SSDT I would require to enable it on the Hackintosh? I read your guide for the B550 and its built in Thunderbolt and also about flashing the firmware. I don't require the firmware to be flashed so hopefully its nothing too complicated. Many thanks.
I can modify the Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT for GC-Titan Ridge. Please run IORegistryExplorer, then scroll down to the Thunderbolt section and post a screenshot. Alternatively, save the IOReg file to disk (File --> Save As...) and post.

Hi Casey.

Here is my IOReg file for you.

Hi Casey.

Here is my IOReg file for you.
Please enable SSDT-TB-HackinDROM-B550-VISION-D.aml in config.plist --> ACPI. Even though this file name says "B550-VISION-D" it would apply to your board as well.

If this SSDT is not present in your EFI/OC/ACPI folder, download and use the attached file. Also check that SSDT-DTPG.aml is enabled.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB-HackinDROM-B550-VISION-D.aml
    2.4 KB · Views: 16
Hi Casey and All,

Maybe I'm close to the goal or maybe very far ;)
I'm making progress on the project to take over the 6750 XT on Monterey Workstation.

1°) I create on Open Core 8.4, 2 new PCI Root entries for the 6750 XT card (VGA and Audio) with the good path.
Picture 2 and 3
2°) I modify 3 AMD Kexts like is indicate in this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-6800-6900-graphics-cards.319421/post-2312803

The workstation work fine but the card didn't recognize monitor and Graphic Accelerator (picture 1).
In two AMD kext (6000 and Framebuffer) I duplicate the AMDNavi23GraphicsAccelerator under IOKitPersonality and change the values for AMDNavi22GraphicsAccelerator and add the ID device of my card 0x73DF1002. On the HWServices Kext I only add the ID device.

I think the last step (I hope) is to complete the PCI Root entry in Opencore with more informations.
For now, I just add AAPL, slot-name, device_type and model.

If you have any idea ?
Thanks !

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-09-21 à 13.44.01.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-09-21 à 13.44.01.png
    225.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Capture d’écran 2022-09-21 à 13.44.51.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-09-21 à 13.44.51.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Capture d’écran 2022-09-21 à 13.45.19.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-09-21 à 13.45.19.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 20
3 days to Ryzen 7000!

However we cannot use it until kernel patches are released.

Back