Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

So this week I managed to finally update and flash my B550 Vision D's Thunderbolt chip with the NVM 33 firmware (after a long period of deliberating of whether or not to mod the motherboard's TB firmware). Results have been good so far. Under Monterey the system now reports the Thunderbolt 3 Titan Ridge bus in System Profiler and my old Areca Thunderbolt drive now finally works under macOS! For the first time it reads as a proper RAID drive on a non-Apple system.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-21-at-6.13.57-PMB.png

Screen-Shot-2022-04-21-at-6.13.19-PMB.png

The system initially had developed a random slow boot response (on some boots), but after clearing the CMOS and reseating the RAM and NVMe things seemed to have stabilised.

I had used CaseySJ's guide to flash the firmware on my board. but differing from the guide I had used the KeeYees SOIC8 chip programmer instead to do the flashing.

@Middleman,

Good job flashing the controller. Motherboard controllers can be particularly difficult to read/write compared to add-in-card so it's good to see that you were successful.

@Middleman,

Good job flashing the controller. Motherboard controllers can be particularly difficult to read/write compared to add-in-card so it's good to see that you were successful.
Thanks! Yes it was a bit of a gamble at first (I was wary about if it would actually work as the first readings weren't too good - had to wiggle the clip a few times) but I guess it paid off in the end. :)

So, if I resume @CaseySJ . Everything works fine now with Monterey on Vision D AM4 ?

- Thunderbolt
- Ethernet
- Wifi / Bluetooth
- USB
- AMD 6XXX graphic card
- Dual boot ?

Bref, is it time to update to Monterey ;) ?
Thanks for your works

So, if I resume @Middleman @CaseySJ . Everything works fine now with Monterey on Vision D AM4 ?

- Thunderbolt
- Ethernet
- Wifi / Bluetooth
- USB
- AMD 6XXX graphic card
- Dual boot ?

Bref, is it time to update to Monterey ;) ?
Thanks for your works
Actually Ethernet ports do not work in Monterey even with the new SmallTreeIntel driver. But we can use a USB to Ethernet adapter.

Actually Ethernet ports do not work in Monterey even with the new SmallTreeIntel driver. But we can use a USB to Ethernet adapter.
Thanks for you response CaseySJ, but @Middleman said in another thread that intel ethernet works

Thanks for you response CaseySJ, but @Middleman said in another thread that intel ethernet works

Yes that's correct. I use AppleI2xx.kext to do this.

Yes that's correct. I use AppleI2xx.kext to do this.
@Draft

Both this and the new SmallTreeIntel drivers can crash the system if the cable is unplugged or the system wakes from sleep. You’re welcome to try each one to see if one of them might be okay for you.

@Draft

Monterey 12.4 supports the Intel i211 Ethernet port natively! This means there's no need for the SmallTreeIntel driver. Please see this on Z390 Designare:
The bad news is that the two i211 Ethernet ports on B550 Vision D are very unstable with the native driver. It's still best to use a USB to Ethernet adapter for now. But feel free to disable third-party i211 Ethernet drivers and experiment with the native driver. Your experience may differ from mine.

Last edited:
Back