Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

@macleap

A very informative post. I will have to try your fix for Monterey Ethernet.

My configuration is different than yours with an AMD Ryzen 7 3700x and RX 580. Sleep/wake has worked for me with Big Sur and Monterey under BIOS F10. However, CaseySJ had reported that BIOS F10 had problems with TPM and Windows 11, but BIOS F13 worked.

I installed F13 and had instant wake in both Big Sur and Monterey. CaseySJ provided his F13 settings file, and OC 0.7.5 EFI folder for me to try, but neither helped. The instant wake seemed like the typical USB port misconfiguration, so I remapped ports and that didn't help. So I fell back to F10 since I probably won't install Windows 11.

Perhaps you have a few suggestions on instant wake with F10 that might carry over to F13 with Big Sur/Monterey. Please post your suggestions.

Thanks.
Hi NCMacGuy,

First of all and to be clear the following is based on testing and experience, not on any documentation or any degree in BIOS software engineering! So no blaming me if something goes wrong.... Secondly, you have to be comfortable to flash you BIOS maybe more than once and then reenter all you BIOS settings again manually... if you are OK with the above, lets proceeed...

OK, as an intro let me say that I am using this build since late 2020, and, although I started with CaseySJ version, I have modified it heavily, and I am using my own version now. That being said, the issue with the BIOS that I have identified should be irrelevant with which OpenCore config you are using. I assume that since you had no issues before you have already eliminated the usual suspects as Proximity Wake (if you have an iPhone or Apple Watch), USB Mappings were working with no sleep issues before, Bluetooth devices, etc.

So I have noticed that, when you use the QFlash (QF) utility in BIOS (F8 key) to upgrade or downgrade your BIOS, the process must not clear all the BIOS regions and/or previous settings, but if you use the QFLASH-Plus (QFP) button on your motherboard (located above the Debug Led) with a USB stick to flash the BIOS.Then the system behaves differently, and sleep functionality is restored. In order to flash your BIOS with QFLASH-Plus button see this link: https://glennsqlperformance.com/2020/12/22/how-to-flash-a-gigabyte-motherboard-with-q-flash-plus/

So you can test the folowing:
1. use QFP to flash F10 and then upgrade via the Bios QF to F13​
2. use QFP to flash F13 directly​
3. use QFP to flash F10 directly and don't upgrade.​
With the above and the same OpenCore configuration, I have resolved the sleep issues on 3 to 4 times after testing new BIOSes or more recently with Monterey. Having said that, I am on F10 with Secure Boot and TPM enabled, and I am using Windows 11 with no issues and with all the Device Security features enabled.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
@CaseySJ

Have you been experiencing any issues in relation to DRM on Monterey? I'm using shikigva=128 bootargs but getting green screen on AppleTV+ and no picture on Amazon Prime or Netflix. If I use the bootarg unfairgva=1, then I can get Netflix and Amazon Prime working but AppleTV+ shows a picture with loads of graphical glitches and blockiness. This is with a Vega 56 with hardware acceleration confirmed working.

Any ideas? Thanks.
I am replying from my B550 Vision D with Monterey 12.1 public beta:
  • tv app works, including tv+ content. Just played Episode 7 of Foundation, which is the sole reason for reactivating my tv+ subscription. :)
  • Netflix works in Safari without any issue. Just played parts of Locke & Key.
  • Amazon Prime Video works in Safari without any issue. Just played portions of Prometheus.

3. USB Gigabit Network Devices
It is suggested here and on other forums, to buy a USB Gigabit adapter to "replace" the I211T. As a word of caution avoid Linksys USB3GIG V1 adapter as it has major issues with Monterey.​
3.1 It disconnects randomly and especially after sleep and requires to connect it in another USB port or even restart in order to reconnect. This is due to the RTL8153 chip used in this model.​
3.2 In fact I have found out that all RTL8153 and maybe even other RealTek adapters have this issue with Big Sur and especially Monterey. The issue was resolved temporalely in Big Sur from Apple but it has reappeared.​
3.3 I havent tested my self but reports indicate that ASIX based usb to Ethernet adaptors are compatible, as the ASIX company has provided a DEXT driver compatible with Big Sur and Monterey. Check Plugable.​

My USB-C to Ethernet adapter arrived today, which supports 2.5GbE and has an aluminum housing for better heat dissipation. I'm testing it on my Z490 Vision D with Monterey 12.1 public beta connected to the front-panel USB-C port that supports USB 3.2 Gen 2.

So far:
  • The device connects and works properly.
  • System sleeps properly.
  • System wakes properly.
  • The Ethernet device also wakes properly from sleep and resumes/maintains its connection.
If I encounter any problems over the next few days, I'll update this post.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 5.32.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 5.29.23 PM.png

Greetings. There was a strange problem, after updating to 12.1 beta and updating OpenCore 0.7.5, the system booted and worked, but after rebooting to Windows 11, BIOS no longer sees as OpenCore boot loader, only Windows Boot Manager. Perhaps I did something wrong with the config. I have an installer with Big Sure and Opencore 0.7.2, can someone drop the config for my processor for 0.7.5, so that I can at least boot from usb flash

Last edited:
Hi NCMacGuy,

First of all and to be clear the following is based on testing and experience, not on any documentation or any degree in BIOS software engineering! So no blaming me if something goes wrong.... Secondly, you have to be comfortable to flash you BIOS maybe more than once and then reenter all you BIOS settings again manually... if you are OK with the above, lets proceeed...

OK, as an intro let me say that I am using this build since late 2020, and, although I started with CaseySJ version, I have modified it heavily, and I am using my own version now. That being said, the issue with the BIOS that I have identified should be irrelevant with which OpenCore config you are using. I assume that since you had no issues before you have already eliminated the usual suspects as Proximity Wake (if you have an iPhone or Apple Watch), USB Mappings were working with no sleep issues before, Bluetooth devices, etc.

So I have noticed that, when you use the QFlash (QF) utility in BIOS (F8 key) to upgrade or downgrade your BIOS, the process must not clear all the BIOS regions and/or previous settings, but if you use the QFLASH-Plus (QFP) button on your motherboard (located above the Debug Led) with a USB stick to flash the BIOS.Then the system behaves differently, and sleep functionality is restored. In order to flash your BIOS with QFLASH-Plus button see this link: https://glennsqlperformance.com/2020/12/22/how-to-flash-a-gigabyte-motherboard-with-q-flash-plus/

So you can test the folowing:
With the above and the same OpenCore configuration, I have resolved the sleep issues on 3 to 4 times after testing new BIOSes or more recently with Monterey. Having said that, I am on F10 with Secure Boot and TPM enabled, and I am using Windows 11 with no issues and with all the Device Security features enabled.

Hope it helps.
I will try this method too! thanks for the advice! I also have sleep problem with big sur and monterey. It never worked XD
May I ask if you or everyone else had any trouble with dual boot? I also have W11 but also with W10 I had this problem that sometimes, after a long period of shutdown, when I enter on hackintosh most of the devices doesn't work like wifi, power management, thunderbolt, usb and sometimes it freezes completely. I tried to restart many times with the same result. The only way to make it work again is to start Windows and then reboot to OSX. Really strange
Any ideas? @CaseySJ I will try to rollback to f10 with the @macleap advice meantime!

Last edited:
So I have noticed that, when you use the QFlash (QF) utility in BIOS (F8 key) to upgrade or downgrade your BIOS, the process must not clear all the BIOS regions and/or previous settings, but if you use the QFLASH-Plus (QFP) button on your motherboard (located above the Debug Led) with a USB stick to flash the BIOS.Then the system behaves differently, and sleep functionality is restored. In order to flash your BIOS with QFLASH-Plus button see this link: https://glennsqlperformance.com/2020/12/22/how-to-flash-a-gigabyte-motherboard-with-q-flash-plus/ So you can test the folowing:
With the above and the same OpenCore configuration, I have resolved the sleep issues on 3 to 4 times after testing new BIOSes or more recently with Monterey. Having said that, I am on F10 with Secure Boot and TPM enabled, and I am using Windows 11 with no issues and with all the Device Security features enabled. Hope it helps.
@macleap

Some very interesting observations about QF vs. QFP. I will have to pick up a small capacity USB2 thumb drive before I experiment. The video mentioned using USB3 was problematic, so there is no reason to risk using one.

I would like to experiment to see if sleep/wake will work if I use QFP to flash F13. (As previously noted there is no reason for me to move to F13 at the present time.) However, if sleep/wake works flashing this way, it might explain why CaseySJ's sleep/wake works and mine doesn't using the same BIOS and EFI.

I also wanted to try your workaround for Ethernet in Monterey. I installed the AppleI2xx.kext for use with Monterey and have that working until sleep. I installed "sleepwatcher" per the documentation. The next step of developing the script to use it is beyond my capabilities. If you are willing to share your script I would appreciate it! I would like to have at least a temporary software workaround for Monterey ethernet without using an external USB-C device.

I will let you know how the QFP experiment works once I have a USB2 thumb drive.

Greetings. There was a strange problem, after updating to 12.1 beta and updating OpenCore 0.7.5, the system booted and worked, but after rebooting to Windows 11, BIOS no longer sees as OpenCore boot loader, only Windows Boot Manager. Perhaps I did something wrong with the config. I have an installer with Big Sure and Opencore 0.7.2, can someone drop the config for my processor for 0.7.5, so that I can at least boot from usb flash
@Fanuil

This is very common when installing Windows updates, and this is why we recommend installing NVMe SSDs in the slots closest to CPU.

This problem means that Windows has installed its boot loader in the macOS EFI folder.

To fix the problem, boot from your USB flash disk (OpenCore 0.7.2 is okay). At the OpenCore Picker, select the macOS disk and login to macOS.

Then mount EFI partition of macOS SSD and expand the EFI folder. Post a screenshot.

Also mount EFI partition of your Windows SSD (if that disk also has EFI partition) and expand the EFI folder. Post a screenshot of that as well.

Finally, please edit your post and remove the foreign language paragraph because it violates the Rules. A post can only be in English.

I also wanted to try your workaround for Ethernet in Monterey. I installed the AppleI2xx.kext for use with Monterey and have that working until sleep. I installed "sleepwatcher" per the documentation. The next step of developing the script to use it is beyond my capabilities. If you are willing to share your script I would appreciate it! I would like to have at least a temporary software workaround for Monterey ethernet without using an external USB-C device.
Please see if STEP 5 in the post below helps you create the wake script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
networksetup -setMTU en0 9000
networksetup -setMTU en0 1500
networksetup -setMTU en1 9000
networksetup -setMTU en1 1500
@USER=2587987]@macleap[/USER]

Some very interesting observations about QF vs. QFP. I will have to pick up a small capacity USB2 thumb drive before I experiment. The video mentioned using USB3 was problematic, so there is no reason to risk using one.

I would like to experiment to see if sleep/wake will work if I use QFP to flash F13. (As previously noted there is no reason for me to move to F13 at the present time.) However, if sleep/wake works flashing this way, it might explain why CaseySJ's sleep/wake works and mine doesn't using the same BIOS and EFI.

I will let you know how the QFP experiment works once I have a USB2 thumb drive.
@NCMacGuy

To create your custom script open terminal and type "sudo vi /etc/rc.wakeup", the vi editor will open with an empty file. Press "i" (you will see insert at the bottom of the window) paste the following on terminal:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
networksetup -setMTU en0 9000
networksetup -setMTU en0 1500
networksetup -setMTU en1 9000
networksetup -setMTU en1 1500

I am assuming that your I211 Network contorllers are en0 and en1.

Then press "ESC", then ":" and finally "w" to write the changes, you will see a message at the bottom. To exit vi press ":" and then "q". At the same terminal window type "sudo chmod +x /etc/rc.wakeup" to make the script executable.

To autostart sleepwatcher you have to add a launchdeamon, to do that open terminal and type "sudo vi /Library/LaunchDaemons/de.bernhard-baehr.sleepwatcher.plist", the vi editor will open with an empty file. Press "i" (you will see insert at the bottom of the window) paste the following on terminal:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>de.bernhard-baehr.sleepwatcher</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/usr/local/sbin/sleepwatcher</string>
        <string>-w /etc/rc.wakeup</string>
    </array>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    <key>KeepAlive</key>
    <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Assuming that sleep watcher is installed at "/usr/local/sbin/sleepwatcher", if not chnage it accordingly.

Then press "ESC", then ":" and finally "w" to write the changes, you will see a message at the bottom. To exit vi press ":" and then "q". You are done.

To authorize sleepwatcher to run, type the foloowing in terminal: "sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /usr/local/sbin/sleepwatcher"

Reboot and it the script will be executed everytime the computer wakes. Also in case the Network hangs during normal use, you can press sleep to reset the network without restarting.

Last edited:
I will try this method too! thanks for the advice! I also have sleep problem with big sur and monterey. It never worked XD
May I ask if you or everyone else had any trouble with dual boot? I also have W11 but also with W10 I had this problem that sometimes, after a long period of shutdown, when I enter on hackintosh most of the devices doesn't work like wifi, power management, thunderbolt, usb and sometimes it freezes completely. I tried to restart many times with the same result. The only way to make it work again is to start Windows and then reboot to OSX. Really strange
Any ideas? @CaseySJ I will try to rollback to f10 with the @macleap advice meantime!

I would suggest to look at an ACPI issue, as suggested by CaseySJ in one of his threads, run the following command from terminal "log show --last boot | head -1500 > ~/Desktop/bootlog.txt" a file will appear on your desktop, open it and search for the ACPI tables that are loading and if any errors appear (regarding ACPI), after all ACPI tables have initiallized correctly you will see a line "kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) 16 ACPI AML tables successfully acquired and loaded" it may be 16 or any other number... if an error has occured it will say something like "16 acquired 15 loaded"
and you will have to find which one is the problem.

Regarding your sleep problems since it was not working from the begining, I will try also the following additional steps.

1. Remove all peripheral, pcie cards, bluetooth, non-boot drives, etc from you pc. Keep only CPU, RAM, GPU, BOOT DRIVE and Keyboard, Mouse. This includes also any lights, led, and watercooler usb io connected to the MB. Fans are ok as long as they only get power and not light from the MB.
2. Reset bios to default settings and do not use any OC or XMP profiles. Disable in bios the thunderbolt contoller.
3. Boot MacOS and check sleep. If it works then start by puting one by one the devices you remove leaving last to
test the thunderbolt and any lights, led, and watercooler usb io connected to the MB.
4. If the problem is Thunderbolt check CaseySJ instructions again.
5. If the issue is with the lights, led, and watercooler usb io connected to the MB. then remove them or try to disable the ITE chip connected to the USB Hub on PTXH controller with a DSDT patch.

hope it helps.

Last edited:
Back