Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
@CaseySJ

Thunderbolt is not working consistently. Sometime when i power off and power on the system thunderbolt devices are not detects. This is happening very often. If it is like this and if allow the system to sleep and then wake it up then thunderbolt devices are detected. It is strange that when i power on the thunderbolt devices are not detected. But wake from sleep detects the thunderbolt devices. My system is set to sleep only monitors and not the computer. Because deep sleep does not work in my system.

Is there any way we can make the thunderbolt stable like always detect on power off and power on.

Thanks
If you see in the first page there is a section just for thunderbolt with original firmware and the difference with the modded firmware. I have also this problems.... Sometimes it doesn't work and sometimes yes but it never worked on warm boot. But my problem I think is related to the dual boot with windows 11 maybe? Anyway in the older post I asked to @CaseySJ if the modded firmware will make to lose the functionality on windows.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ

Thunderbolt is not working consistently. Sometime when i power off and power on the system thunderbolt devices are not detects. This is happening very often. If it is like this and if allow the system to sleep and then wake it up then thunderbolt devices are detected. It is strange that when i power on the thunderbolt devices are not detected. But wake from sleep detects the thunderbolt devices. My system is set to sleep only monitors and not the computer. Because deep sleep does not work in my system.

Is there any way we can make the thunderbolt stable like always detect on power off and power on.

Thanks
Thunderbolt device connectivity can depend on the specific Thunderbolt device. Some devices connect and reconnect more reliably than others. What are the specific makes/models of your Thunderbolt devices?

If you see in the first page there is a section just for thunderbolt with original firmware and the difference with the modded firmware. I have also this problems.... Sometimes it doesn't work and sometimes yes but it never worked on warm boot. But my problem I think is related to the dual boot with windows 11 maybe? Anyway in the older post I asked to @CaseySJ if the modded firmware will make to lose the functionality on windows.
I have had very good results after flashing the Thunderbolt firmware on my B550 Vision D, but my Thunderbolt devices are few:
  • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro
  • Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter (Thunderbolt 2)
  • Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
However, when we flash the controller we switch it into OS Connection Manager Mode, which is something Windows and Linux do not support. Windows and Linux support Internal Connection Manager or ICM mode, in which the Thunderbolt firmware manages device connections entirely on its own with no assistance from the OS.

Windows and Linux will therefore exhibit various problems with Thunderbolt. The specific problems you'll encounter depend on the version of Windows/Linux and the device being connected.

Real Macs do not use ICM mode; real Macs always use OS Connection Manager. MacOS supports both modes, but with OS Managed Mode, we improve overall Thunderbolt compatibility (macOS only).

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
5600X
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Thunderbolt device connectivity can depend on the specific Thunderbolt device. Some devices connect and reconnect more reliably than others. What are the specific makes/models of your Thunderbolt devices?

I have had very good results after flashing the Thunderbolt firmware on my B550 Vision D, but my Thunderbolt devices are few:
  • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro
  • Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter (Thunderbolt 2)
  • Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
However, when we flash the controller we switch it into OS Connection Manager Mode, which is something Windows and Linux do not support. Windows and Linux support Internal Connection Manager or ICM mode, in which the Thunderbolt firmware manages device connections entirely on its own with no assistance from the OS.

Windows and Linux will therefore exhibit various problems with Thunderbolt. The specific problems you'll encounter depends on the version of Windows/Linux and the device being connected.

Real Macs do not use ICM mode; real Macs always use OS Connection Manager. MacOS supports both modes, but with OS Managed Mode, we improve overall Thunderbolt compatibility (macOS only).
Ok! Understood! So what do you suggest in my case? maybe to flash the PCI Thunderbolt and leave the internal thunderbolt for windows? or viceversa? Which one gives more stability on mac with the modded firmware? (I have an Alpine Ridge 2.0 Gigabyte)

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok! Understood! So what do you suggest in my case? maybe to flash the PCI Thunderbolt and leave the internal thunderbolt for windows? or viceversa? Which one gives more stability on mac with the modded firmware? (I have an Alpine Ridge 2.0 Gigabyte)
This is a tricky question:
  • Flashing the internal Titan Ridge controller is more difficult, but results in better Thunderbolt reliability than a flashed add-in-card.
    • We must be very careful when connecting and disconnecting the SOIC8 clip to Thunderbolt firmware flash ROM chip!
  • It is easier to flash a Thunderbolt add-in-card such as GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge, but a flashed add-in-card is not as reliable as a flashed on-board controller.
The recommendation would be:
  • Carefully and gently flash the on-board controller.
    • Use this in macOS.
  • Leave the add-in-card alone.
    • Use this in Windows.

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
5600X
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
This is a tricky question:
  • Flashing the internal Titan Ridge controller is more difficult, but results in better Thunderbolt reliability than a flashed add-in-card.
    • We must be very careful when connecting and disconnecting the SOIC8 clip to Thunderbolt firmware flash ROM chip!
  • It is easier to flash a Thunderbolt add-in-card such as GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge, but a flashed add-in-card is not as reliable as a flashed on-board controller.
The recommendation would be:
  • Carefully and gently flash the on-board controller.
    • Use this in macOS.
  • Leave the add-in-card alone.
    • Use this in Windows.
Ok. I agree. I'm going to see every post from your thread about flashing the b550 thunderbolt firmware. Crossfinger! ☺️

P.s. Of course I can disable the add-in-card with an ssdt only for osx no? (if osi darwin eccecc i think). And for the internal I have to disable it too for windows or it useless?

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok. I agree. I'm going to see every post from your thread about flashing the b550 thunderbolt firmware. Crossfinger! ☺️

P.s. Of course I can disable the add-in-card with an ssdt only for osx no? (if osi darwin eccecc i think). And for the internal I have to disable it too for windows or it useless?
Actually it should be okay to have both Thunderbolt controllers active. On the Mac we will need two Thunderbolt SSDTs, each with a different Thunderbolt Bus ID and different UID. We can easily generate new Thunderbolt SSDTs using @Inqnuam's HackinDROM Website (not app). We can help you with that.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Actually it should be okay to have both Thunderbolt controllers active. On the Mac we will need two Thunderbolt SSDTs, each with a different Thunderbolt Bus ID and different UID. We can easily generate new Thunderbolt SSDTs using @Inqnuam's HackinDROM Website (not app). We can help you with that.
I hope the website isn't awful as they say :mrgreen:

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ @Vorshim92

My B550 Vision D with BIOS F13 running OC 0.7.4 (CaseySJs file) and Big Sur 11.6 or Monterey Beta 9 refuses to sleep after experimenting with changing various settings in both the BIOS and the config.plist file.

Remember that I have no problem with sleep/wale with BIOS F10.

Post #1,379 has my hardware configuration.

I tried the following changes in BIOS F13 one at a time:
  • SATA Port Enable -> Disabled (I disabled my SATA HDDs)
  • X.M.P -> Disabled
  • Wake on LAN -> Disabled (Enabled by default)
  • AMD CPU fTPM -> Enabled (Disabled by default)
In System Preferences -> Energy Saver (starting with all boxes unchecked):
  • Activated "Put hard disks to sleep when possible"
I disabled Bluetooth, WiFi and Ethernet all at once - No LAN activity.

I changed to a DP connection on the RX 580 to a different LG 4K monitor.

I moved my USB 2 Apple Keyboard/Mouse from a back USB2 port to a back USB3 port.

In the config.plist file I changed the following one at a time:
  • Disabled USBWakeFixup.kext
  • Disabled NVMeFix.kext
My power supply is an EVGA 1000 G3. It has an ECO ON/OFF switch as well as an OFF/ON. I tried the ECO switch in both positions without any effect on sleep.

One anomaly I have noticed, regardless of BIOS version, is that if I leave a Thunderbolt external SSD drive connected to a Thunderbolt port, shut the hack down, then manually unplug the external drive, the hack restarts. I wouldn't expect this to happen. Perhaps my power supply is an issue?

CaseySJ - since our hardware is quite similar, and we are using the same F13 BIOS, and the same EFI, could you post your saved BIOS settings file so I could use it to reset my BIOS -- just in case there is some tweak to yours that is not currently represented in mine?

At this point I have run out of ideas on what could be causing my sleep problems with F13. Would anything in the system log be of help?

As always thanks for your help and expertise.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Are any of you experiencing intermittent kernel panics with this board? It happens just enough, that it is bothersome. If I turn on my computer, and let it sit for some minutes before I get to it, it is often frozen.

I am running 11.6 with OC 0.7.4.

The first line in the system report is: Panic(CPU 0, time 68597775379): NMIPI for unresponsive processor: TLB flush timeout, TLB state:0x0

I am including the report below in the textfile.

Attachments

• kp.txt
    8.6 KB · Views: 7