Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Yes, that too!
Hi again! @CaseySJ thanks for the advice. The CH341 has arrived! For now I have no intention to flash the GC-Alpine Ridge 2.0 because I'm afraid I will lose the TB on Windows no? My initial project was to use the built-in of the B550 Vision D for windows and the GC-Alpine on Mac with flashed RIN. Do you think is a good idea? :) Thanks!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi again! @CaseySJ thanks for the advice. The CH341 has arrived! For now I have no intention to flash the GC-Alpine Ridge 2.0 because I'm afraid I will lose the TB on Windows no? My initial project was to use the built-in of the B550 Vision D for windows and the GC-Alpine on Mac with flashed RIN. Do you think is a good idea? :) Thanks!
Hello @Vorshim92,

Before we even consider flashing the Thunderbolt firmware we should connect our Thunderbolt devices and see if they work. If they work well enough, it is much better to keep the original firmware.

We flash the firmware for some specific devices that (a) don't work at all or (b) work poorly with the original firmware. Some of these devices are listed in this post.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I really hope that we dont need to resort to getting a separate pci-e network card on the B550 going forward to Monterey later. It would be a shame to not be able to use both ports on the mobo. I hope someone will be able to figure out the smalltree issue :)

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 VISION D
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600 XT
Graphics
RX470
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,
Under Monterey, use a HUB, USB to CHOETECH brand network Ref: USB-U02BK.
Recognized by macOS Monterey.
Plugged into one of the USB3.1 Thunderbolt ports.

Motherboard
Asus z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
rx5700xt
Hi @CaseySJ and everyone
First of all, thanks for this tremendous guide! It really is thoroughly written and easy to understand even for newbies like me.

Around July I bought this motherboard as well as the 5900x, rx6800xt, broadcom card, and bunch of hardware mentioned in the 1st page. I even bought the CH341a cause i want the full thunderbolt bus working. However, the website that I bought from didn't really update the naming of the board, and I only realize I got the D-P board after it arrived my place. I'm going to try the guide first, if it doesn't work I will have to switch to windows for the time being unfortunately.

My hardware list as below:
MB: B550 vision D-P
CPU: 5900x
Ram: ballistix DDR4-3600mhz 16GB x4
SSD: Aorus Gen4 7000s 1TB
GPU: 5700xt reference (I'm using this GPU from my previous z390 build to test it out first, since i know it works flawlessly)

because it is a D-P board, I would love to get a double confirm from you guys just so I didn't miss any of the steps.
I have been reading the post from page 90 sth and i know i need to update the config.plist and include the realtek kext into the EFI folder.
Since I'm going for a fresh install, I grabbed the 0.7.2 opencore folder, put in the lucy realtek kexts, enabled it from the 12-core config, and also copied the device properties from the 0.7.0 config from #946.
And since I'm going to use my old 5700xt to test out the system before i put in the 6800xt, I also enabled the 5700xt aml.
The config.plist is attached.

Also, should I be using the F2 BIOS or the newest F12 BIOS for the D-P board? I'm going to disable resize BAR anyway.

Thanks for the helps!

Attachments

• config-issssac-20210809.plist
    50.3 KB · Views: 16

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @CaseySJ and everyone
First of all, thanks for this tremendous guide! It really is thoroughly written and easy to understand even for newbies like me.

Around July I bought this motherboard as well as the 5900x, rx6800xt, broadcom card, and bunch of hardware mentioned in the 1st page. I even bought the CH341a cause i want the full thunderbolt bus working. However, the website that I bought from didn't really update the naming of the board, and I only realize I got the D-P board after it arrived my place. I'm going to try the guide first, if it doesn't work I will have to switch to windows for the time being unfortunately.

My hardware list as below:
MB: B550 vision D-P
CPU: 5900x
Ram: ballistix DDR4-3600mhz 16GB x4
SSD: Aorus Gen4 7000s 1TB
GPU: 5700xt reference (I'm using this GPU from my previous z390 build to test it out first, since i know it works flawlessly)

because it is a D-P board, I would love to get a double confirm from you guys just so I didn't miss any of the steps.
I have been reading the post from page 90 sth and i know i need to update the config.plist and include the realtek kext into the EFI folder.
Since I'm going for a fresh install, I grabbed the 0.7.2 opencore folder, put in the lucy realtek kexts, enabled it from the 12-core config, and also copied the device properties from the 0.7.0 config from #946.
And since I'm going to use my old 5700xt to test out the system before i put in the 6800xt, I also enabled the 5700xt aml.
The config.plist is attached.

Also, should I be using the F2 BIOS or the newest F12 BIOS for the D-P board? I'm going to disable resize BAR anyway.

Thanks for the helps!
Hello @issssac,

We've had some chronic problems with Thunderbolt on the B550 Vision D-P. We were never able to get working/reliable Thunderbolt. An alternative would be the Gigabyte X570S Aero with an add-in Thunderbolt card.

However, you're welcome to experiment with the B550 Vision D-P.

Regarding BIOS, it's okay to start with F12 (with Resizable BAR turned off) and iterate backwards to F2 if problems persist.

Because of the relatively high level of interest in the B550 Vision D-P, please keep us updated on your progress. We'll try to help you as much as we can.

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
5600X
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello @Vorshim92,

Before we even consider flashing the Thunderbolt firmware we should connect our Thunderbolt devices and see if they work. If they work well enough, it is much better to keep the original firmware.

We flash the firmware for some specific devices that (a) don't work at all or (b) work poorly with the original firmware. Some of these devices are listed in this post.
Right now it works, also with hot-plug so it's OK. The only problem is that DTPG.aml, that makes ho-tplug working through the SSDT, it breaks my shutdown. That is not a huge problem because I can force the shutdown

Meantime, can I ask if you have ever take a look to the Thunderbolt firmware of an XPS 13 Dell with DSL6340 Alpine Ridge 2C 2015?

Motherboard
Asus z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
rx5700xt
Hello again, I just installed the Big Sur 11.5.1 into the new machine; the installation went pretty smoothly. BTW, I'm using f11 BIOS, cause it just comes with it, and I cannot download the F12 BIOS from the Gigabyte website for whatever reason.

WiFi, Bluetooth, airdrop, every USB-A port, works.

And most importantly, the Thunderbolt port itself works!
It didn't show up in the system info PCI page as a thunderbolt device though, it shows in USB as a USB 3.1 bus. Both of the ports work like this. I have tried plugging in my G-drive mobile SSD in it, and I can read the files. I can eject it, and I even tried to unplug it without ejecting from finder. All works.
I also tested out the speed of it. I check it by BlackMagic disk speed test, got around 200MB write, 500MB read speed.

Also, the graphics page shows up as RX 5000 series card, but in my previous build it shows up as RX 5700 XT. Is it normal?

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 2.58.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 3.03.44 AM.png

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
rx5700xt
yup, just tried to plug in my thunderbolt 3 dock (belkin express dock) and old thunderbolt 2 hdd(WD my book thunderbolt 2 duo) in, both didn't work. :(
gonna try something more tomorrow. Do anyone knows IF i flash my thunderbolt firmware, is it gonna make this port cannot work as a usb-c port?

I'm really surprise that it can work as a usb-c port, I thought it was like the whole port doesn't work no matter what you plugged in. I think i can live with that at the time to be honest.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
yup, just tried to plug in my thunderbolt 3 dock (belkin express dock) and old thunderbolt 2 hdd(WD my book thunderbolt 2 duo) in, both didn't work. :(
gonna try something more tomorrow.

But I'm surprise that it can work as a usb-c port, I thought it was like the whole port doesn't work no matter what you plugged in. I think i can live with that at the time to be honest.
Good job in building the system and installing macOS Big Sur!! Alas, as we suspected, Thunderbolt is a problem on this board with macOS. But at least you can connect USB 3.x devices to the two Thunderbolt ports.