Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

It works in Windows 10 which I also have installed. This happened with the Vision D-P as well, that some BIOS version didn't play well with the card, while others did. I'll look at resetting the CMOS later. But thanks!! :)

It works in Windows 10 which I also have installed. This happened with the Vision D-P as well, that some BIOS version didn't play well with the card, while others did. I'll look at resetting the CMOS later. But thanks!! :)

You may need to do a cold boot to get the BT card to work in macOS. When you boot Windows, it will load it's own firmware onto the card and then it cannot be seen by macOS. A cold boot will clear the firmware and macOS will then load its own firmware when it is booted. If you then want it to work again in Windows you may need to do another cold boot.

The same goes for Linux as well if you also use that.

Okay to answer your questions:

1) Technically the settings for disabling the GPU should work. But you will have to use OpenCore to run your system. As for the motherboard, technically the Vision DP is a newer version of the Vision D except that it doesn't use ECC memory anymore, supports up to 5400MHz DDR4 RAM, and has onboard USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports plus Thunderbolt support. You should be able to use the B500 Vision D guide for this board.

2) On an AMD chipset you must use the AMD Kernels patch to get it working. I have a B550 Vision D fitted with Ryzen 5900X, 64GB DDR4 RAM, a RX6800 GPU and a 1TB WD SN850 SSD. My opinion of this is, this is a great system and yes the pairing is totally compatible - VDA decoding, DRM and HVEC encoding works amazing. The performance of the RX 6800 is also incredible with the 6800 coming 3rd place (20,000+) in r23 Cinebench's historical performance charts. Only issue is you'll need to add patches if you use Adobe software (which can crash on some setups). You'll also need to disable Resizeable Bar too in BIOS for this to work.

3) That could work, but Ethernet sharing directly between two ports may be trickier to achieve.
Hi Middleman,

I have this same system running 11.4. I am trying to install a new reference AMD Radeon 6800 with no luck. Tried all the agdpmod=pikera, -wegoff, iMacPro1,1, MacPro 7,1 - everything - Just black screen and reboot. Tried CSM, Get 3 vs Gen4, etc

System worked flawlessly with the Radeon VII I had in it.

I see above you mention to turn off resizable bar. I'm on the bios before that that @CaseySJ recommends.

What bios are you running?

Thanks,

JayShay

EDIT -

I did get it up and running. Issue is I cannot see OpenCanopy picker and have to guess the entry blindly. This is because CSM needs to be off for my machine to boot all the way through.

Last edited:
You may need to do a cold boot to get the BT card to work in macOS. When you boot Windows, it will load it's own firmware onto the card and then it cannot be seen by macOS. A cold boot will clear the firmware and macOS will then load its own firmware when it is booted. If you then want it to work again in Windows you may need to do another cold boot.

The same goes for Linux as well if you also use that.
Thanks for your reply, I have never experienced that in the 4-5 years I had my old hackintosh with the same card, and on the other BIOS versions it behaved, the BT even works in the BIOS. But I will try it out. Thanks again :)

Hi Middleman,

I have this same system running 11.4. I am trying to install a new reference AMD Radeon 6800 with no luck. Tried all the agdpmod=pikera, -wegoff, iMacPro1,1, MacPro 7,1 - everything - Just black screen and reboot. Tried CSM, Get 3 vs Gen4, etc

System worked flawlessly with the Radeon VII I had in it.

I see above you mention to turn off resizable bar. I'm on the bios before that that @CaseySJ recommends.

What bios are you running?

Thanks,

JayShay

EDIT -

I did get it up and running. Issue is I cannot see OpenCanopy picker and have to guess the entry blindly. This is because CSM needs to be off for my machine to boot all the way through.
I see. Well, I am using the latest available BIOS F13g on mine, and the RX6800 works great with that.
The issue is that I must boot from the 2nd available HDMI port (not the first one), and there is a short
period of waiting after the Apple logo. It's a blank screen of almost 2-3mins before it pops up.
Not sure what is causing it, but that's just how it is.

Anyways I have created an EFI out from my current system if you are curious. Just need to add in the serials.

As for the Resizable BAR that has been turned off on my setup because it was proving hard to boot. When I tried Catalina earlier it was impossible to get it without removing it first.

Attachments

• EFI OC 0.6.9 11.4.zip
    34 MB · Views: 112
I see. Well, I am using the latest available BIOS F13g on mine, and the RX6800 works great with that.
The issue is that I must boot from the 2nd available HDMI port (not the first one), and there is a short
period of waiting after the Apple logo. It's a blank screen of almost 2-3mins before it pops up.
Not sure what is causing it, but that's just how it is.

Anyways I have created an EFI out from my current system if you are curious. Just need to add in the serials.

As for the Resizable BAR that has been turned off on my setup because it was proving hard to boot. When I tried Catalina earlier it was impossible to get it without removing it first.
Hi Middleman,

Thank you. Yes, I went ahead and updated the BIOS to 13g and it works - I need to have CSM on in order to see the BIOS screens. I'm using -v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 shikigva=128 alcid=1 agdpmod=pikera npci=0x2000 - I think I need to add npci=0x2000 to get it working.

Unfortunately, BIOS 13g doesn't play nice with my Thunderbolt and my LG 5K is stuck at a non hi-dpi resolution, and the camera and audio doesn't work.

Thanks again for sending your EFI

Hi Middleman,

Thank you. Yes, I went ahead and updated the BIOS to 13g and it works - I need to have CSM on in order to see the BIOS screens. I'm using -v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 shikigva=128 alcid=1 agdpmod=pikera npci=0x2000 - I think I need to add npci=0x2000 to get it working.

Unfortunately BIOS 13g doesn't play nice with my Thunderbolt and my LG 5K is stuck at a non hi-dpi resolution and the camera and audio doesn't work.

Thanks again for sending your EFI
You really should try my EFI, because it is fully working - just add the serials. It may work with your current BIOS.

I have not personally tried MacPro7,1 but it is worth trying...
MacPro7,1 didn't help in the DRM department, just to state that here :)

When we first starting experimenting with AMD Ryzen systems, we would disable Above 4G Decoding and instead add npci=0x1000 (or was it 0x2000?) to boot-args. This would allow devices to connect to Thunderbolt. I wonder if we should give this a try.
npci=0x2000 and turning off Above 4G decoding is what enabled me to see the BIOS with my 6800

You really should try my EFI, because it is fully working - just add the serials. It may work with your current BIOS.
I would love to try it but I have flashed my Thunderbolt controller - is yours flashed too? If so, does your Thunderbolt bus work? I needed to flash my Thunderbolt controller to get the LG 5K to work properly...

Back