Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Unfortunately there is no Thunderbolt event in either of the 2 log files. This is not good. We have very few options remaining:

Option 1: Search the web for other B550 Vision D-P Hackintosh owners who might have found a solution.
Option 2: Flash the Titan Ridge firmware (with NVM 33 from Designare Z390).
Option 3: Modify the motherboard BIOS. Elias is the only person I know who could do this, but only if the relevant section of BIOS is not "protected". This means surgically inserting Apple's Thunderbolt PEI and DXE drivers directly into the motherboard BIOS. We've done this successfully on Intel-based Z390 Designare, but not on an AMD system.
Option 4: Return the board and get a B550 Vision D (which is hard to find and may be over priced).

Thank you very much for your help, @CaseySJ, it is much appreciated. Really!!

At the moment, I think I will try to go with option 4, if they will accept the board (it is still in fine condition).

Thank you very much for your help, @CaseySJ, it is much appreciated. Really!!

At the moment, I think I will try to go with option 4, if they will accept the board (it is still in fine condition).
There is a used B550 Vision D on eBay for $166 on auction with 14 hours remaining... Hint hint. :) New ones can be over $400 right now.

There is a used B550 Vision D on eBay for $166 on auction with 14 hours remaining... Hint hint. :) New ones can be over $400 right now.
Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated, however I live in Denmark, so that might be too costly to import. However, I can get a new board for around the sam price as the Vision D-P (around $235). :)

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated, however I live in Denmark, so that might be too costly to import. However, I can get a new board for around the sam price as the Vision D-P (around $235). :)
In that case it's a no brainer!! Just get the B550 Vision D and don't look back. :) But install BIOS F10 on that board.

In that case it's a no brainer!! Just get the B550 Vision D and don't look back. :) But install BIOS F10 on that board.
Will do! Hope the shop is more helpfull than the D-P’s Thunderbolt implementation :D

With any Thunderbolt device connected, please run IORegistryExplorer and post the IOReg file (File --> Save As...).

I have no issues with i unplug either ethernet port and re-plug ethernet cable in...im on bios f12k from tweak town dated this month, i can go back to f12g but the efi folder doesnt boot on f2

dp seems like a better board the then the original with the headers, tb did work , why it doesnt is the mystery that you guys just got done saying you loved.

if things get worse then i would proably just fo the new 570 aero board from gigabyte, this thuderbolt issue working in catalina then all this drama in big sur is a bad representation of apple imo

Attachments

• iMac Pro.ioreg
    10.4 MB · Views: 47
I have no issues with i unplug either ethernet port and re-plug ethernet cable in...im on bios f12k from tweak town dated this month, i can go back to f12g but the efi folder doesnt boot on f2

dp seems like a better board the then the original with the headers, tb did work , why it doesnt is the mystery that you guys just got done saying you loved.

if things get worse then i would proably just fo the new 570 aero board from gigabyte, this thuderbolt issue working in catalina then all this drama in big sur is a bad representation of apple imo
If this IOReg is with BIOS F12K from TweakTown, then it's definitely much better than F12G because GPP1 sub-devices are properly named.

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 3.53.24 PM.png

However, your Thunderbolt section is not configured properly. If you use the attached SSDT, reboot, and post IOReg again, we can see if the configuration succeeds.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-B550-VISION-D.aml
    2.3 KB · Views: 45
I removed the older thunderbolt ssdt and added this one here. the result no luck in the sound card showing up but i took a screen of the config and copy the info

Attachments

• iMac Pro.ioreg
    10.2 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 9.33.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 9.33.59 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
I removed the older thunderbolt ssdt and added this one here. the result no luck in the sound card showing up but i took a screen of the config and copy the info
When we first starting experimenting with AMD Ryzen systems, we would disable Above 4G Decoding and instead add npci=0x1000 (or was it 0x2000?) to boot-args. This would allow devices to connect to Thunderbolt. I wonder if we should give this a try.

Back