CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am using a Lacie D2 Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure for these tests. The drive appears in Windows 10. I have also tried an Areca 5026 Raid enclosure as well.

I also have a TB2->Ethernet adapter, that I have tried previously, if that is of interest.

I am using the F11 BIOS, that the board came with.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am using a Lacie D2 Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure for these tests. The drive appears in Windows 10. I have also tried an Areca 5026 Raid enclosure as well.

I also have a TB2->Ethernet adapter, that I have tried previously, if that is of interest.

I am using the F11 BIOS, that the board came with.
Two suggestions:
  • Try connecting a USB-C device instead of a Thunderbolt device. For example, a USB-C flash disk. Does it work?
  • Then downgrade the BIOS to F2 because it does not contain Resizeable BAR support. Then first thing we'll need to look at is IOReg file.
If we cannot get this board to cooperate, it may be time to consider returning this board in favor of the B550 Vision D.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here is another with the same Lacie D2, where I booted into Windows 10 activated the drive and rebooted into Big Sur

Attachments

• basak ioservice v6.ioreg
    6.1 MB · Views: 4

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here is another with the same Lacie D2, where I booted into Windows 10 activated the drive and rebooted into Big Sur
Still nothing connected in macOS.

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 1.36.00 PM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Two suggestions:
  • Try connecting a USB-C device instead of a Thunderbolt device. For example, a USB-C flash disk. Does it work?
  • Then downgrade the BIOS to F2 because it does not contain Resizeable BAR support. Then first thing we'll need to look at is IOReg file.
If we cannot get this board to cooperate, it may be time to consider returning this board in favor of the B550 Vision D.
Yes, with USB-C drives it works.

Here is a reg with F2 BIOS and cold boot (BT doesn't work now btw.). Still the same.

Attachments

• basak ioservice F2-bios cold boot v7.ioreg
    4.9 MB · Views: 4

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes, with USB-C drives it works.

Here is a reg with F2 BIOS and cold boot (BT doesn't work now btw.). Still the same.
Okay, now the GPP1 sub-tree is properly named by DSDT, which is an improvement! The B550 Vision D SSDT should work. Let's give it a try (attached; note the exact file name):
  • Copy file to OC/ACPI folder
  • Add a reference in ACPI section of config.plist
  • Reboot and let's look at IOReg again (want to see if all sub-devices are named properly)
Regarding Bluetooth, don't worry because the BCM94360NG is coming. A small change to USB map might also be needed (not sure yet).

Additionally, you have a Thronmax MDrill One Pro microphone connected to one of the external USB 2.0 ports. Try moving that to the other external USB 2.0 port.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-B550-VISION-D.aml
    2.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Okay, now the GPP1 sub-tree is properly named by DSDT, which is an improvement! The B550 Vision D SSDT should work. Let's give it a try (attached; note the exact file name):
  • Copy file to OC/ACPI folder
  • Add a reference in ACPI section of config.plist
  • Reboot and let's look at IOReg again (want to see if all sub-devices are named properly)
Regarding Bluetooth, don't worry because the BCM94360NG is coming. A small change to USB map might also be needed (not sure yet).

Additionally, you have a Thronmax MDrill One Pro microphone connected to one of the external USB 2.0 ports. Try moving that to the other external USB 2.0 port.
Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 23.02.52.png

Yes the BT is secondary right now. :)

I have put the mic in a different USB2-port, and here is a new reg file.

Again, truly appreciate your help!

Attachments

• basak ioservice v8.ioreg
    4.8 MB · Views: 4

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes the BT is secondary right now. :)

I have put the mic in a different USB2-port, and here is a new reg file.
Thanks for moving the microphone. This confirms that USB ports PO10 and PO09 are configured the same as on B550 Vision D. The USB port mapping might still need a minor tweak, but let's worry about that later.

Again, truly appreciate your help!
Much better -- now all Thunderbolt device names are correct:
Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 2.27.08 PM.png
Because Thunderbolt devices still don't connect, let's have a look at BIOS. If you insert a USB flash disk that has an EFI partition, you can press F12 in BIOS Setup to save a screenshot. It will be saved as a .bmp file, which can be converted to JPEG or PNG using an image editor.
  • It would be good to see a screenshot of the Thunderbolt (USB Type C with TitanRidge Support) settings.
  • Also confirm that Above 4G Decoding is enabled.
  • Also confirm that SuperIOConfiguration --> Serial Port is disabled.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Because Thunderbolt devices still don't connect, let's have a look at BIOS. If you insert a USB flash disk that has an EFI partition, you can press F12 in BIOS Setup to save a screenshot. It will be saved as a .bmp file, which can be converted to JPEG or PNG using an image editor.
  • It would be good to see a screenshot of the Thunderbolt (USB Type C with TitanRidge Support) settings.
  • Also confirm that Above 4G Decoding is enabled.
  • Also confirm that SuperIOConfiguration --> Serial Port is disabled.
Here you go:

210623213900.jpg

210623213849.jpg

210623213825.jpg

I have also exported a new reg file, with the Apple ethernet TB2 adapter inserted into the other port via a TB2 to TB3 adapter (Apple's).

Attachments

• basak ioservice v9.ioreg
    4.9 MB · Views: 4

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@basak,

Does the system crash when you connect Ethernet cable to the i225-V port? How about the RTL8125 port?