Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

This is the exact reason I went ahead with AMD this time around... looking forward to pop the 5900x in this build. 5950X is a little overkill for me, but my mind isn't made up yet.. still there is room to think about the 5950X :)

Now I wonder why an AMD engineering sample is running in a Hackintosh... Is someone at AMD building Hackintoshes? :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Check the fine print: It was overclocked to 6 GHz: https://www.techpowerup.com/273426/...rocessor-overclocked-to-6-ghz-and-geekbenched

“the processor appears to be overclocked to 6 GHz, as pointed out in the gb5 files of the benchmark listings, which show the processor's frequency swing between 5931 MHz and 6023 MHz during the test.”
Well that deflates that balloon. Nevertheless 3rd Gen Ryzen is still looking pretty good.

The higher price is a sound marketing strategy the prevents sales of existing Ryzen processors from being cannibalized before 3rd Gen appears. After three or four months, AMD can reduce prices or offer discounts in the face of more competition.

Well that deflates that balloon. Nevertheless 3rd Gen Ryzen is still looking pretty good.

The higher price is a sound marketing strategy the prevents sales of existing Ryzen processors from being cannibalized before 3rd Gen appears. After three or four months, AMD can reduce prices or offer discounts in the face of more competition.
True. And price cuts just in time for Rocket lake.

I have to hand it to AMD, their ascent back into the leadership position (in terms of performance) has been stunning, given their Bulldozer days (with an ugly stock price to match).

The next 12-18 months appear to be an exciting time for PCs. DDR5 is coming. Pcie5 is coming. USB4 is coming. And depending on how discrete intel Xe graphics performs relative to Big Navi and Ampere, we could see refreshes of those architectures.

I like zen3, but I’m probably going to wait until the AM5 platform releases (given that it’s likely to support pcie5 and ddr5) and see how intel Alder Lake performs relative to zen4.

What I’m patiently waiting for is Big Navi so I can game at 4k.

What will be interesting is whether macOS will run properly on those future x86 architectures ... or ... if consumer ARM motherboards will become a thing, and if so, whether a boot loader will be developed (or adapted) to support macOS ARM. I’m wondering if x86 will continue to dominate or if it will lose dominance to ARM... as very interesting ARM silicon is coming, with major performance increases.

I successfully flashed my TB3 chip today with the NVM33 firmware using the Arceli CH341A programmer and CaseySJ's comprehensive ** Mini-Guide for Flashing SPI ROM Chips using 3.3V CH341A Programmer **.

My Arceli programmer did not have the upper jumper in the required position, and I was initially confused about the Jumper 2-3 positions. "A picture is worth a thousand words," so CaseySJ may use this picture if he wishes with the jumpers properly positioned in the Mini-Guide.

CH341A Jumpers.jpg

Since my board was installed in my case, the limited access resulted in multiple attempts to get the clip properly positioned on the TB3 chip. I finally succeeded in reading and writing to the chip.

I was in too much of a hurry to confirm the Thunderbolt Bus was activated and I hadn't bricked the MB. I quickly found one can't boot without a new SSDT installed in the EFI!

Using the ** Mini-Guide: Thunderbolt DROM Customization for Gigabyte B550 Vision D ** I used @Inqnuam's greatly appreciated web site to generate a new TB3 SSDT.

For some unknown reason I could not get my backup SSD with the new TB3 SSDT to boot with OC 0.6.2. Verbose booting would display several strange errors and halt booting.

I finally cleared CMOS, reloaded my saved BIOS settings, and finally succeeded in booting. System information displays the Thunderbolt Bus as expected, and IORegistryExplorer displays the correct entries for Thunderbolt.

Many thanks to @CaseySJ for his wonderful guides and another successful TB3 flash.

Hmm.. just noticed this.. anyone else using iMacPro1,1 getting this info in Hackintool?
It is stating MacBook1,1 and Valid = Unlikely. If i remember correctly, this info was fine before updating Opencore to 0.6.2

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 22.41.34.png

Hmm.. just noticed this.. anyone else using iMacPro1,1 getting this info in Hackintool?
It is stating MacBook1,1 and Valid = Unlikely. If i remember correctly, this info was fine before updating Opencore to 0.6.2

View attachment 492182
No issues here with latest Hackintool:
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 4.22.25 PM.png

Last edited:
** Unbelievable News: WOW **
Sleep/Wake problems fixed with all USB 2.0 ports activated

In the latest Big Sur Public Beta #6, all previously reported USB-related sleep/wake issues have disappeared! Previously, USB 2.0 ports PO9, PO10, and PO11 prevented the system from waking up.
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 4.33.52 PM.png

Below IOReg shows that all USB 2.0 ports are enabled. This includes the internal BCM94360NG WiFi/BT module and RGB Fusion 2.0.

The Fenvi FV-T919 PCIe card has been removed.

I have two keyboards and two mice connected simultaneously for testing purposes:
  • Keychron K1 version 4 via Bluetooth
  • Matias Backlit Keyboard via USB 2.0
  • Logitech MX Master 3 Mouse via Bluetooth
  • Acer wired USB 2.0 mouse
The system sleeps and wakes properly every time with either USB or Bluetooth device!

What does this mean?
  • It means we now have zero compromises with regard to USB port usage and sleep/wake behavior.
  • We can have it all.
  • We can use both of the internal USB 2.0 headers.
  • We can use the two USB 2.0 ports on the rear IO panel.
  • We can use on-board WiFi/BT module without wasting a precious PCie slot.
  • We can use RGB Fusion 2.0 via liquidctl.
  • We can have sleep and wake.
How did this happen?
  • Of course I have no knowledge of what Apple does internally, but I like to believe (for my own fiendish self-serving gratification) that the Panic Reports I sent to Apple might have had something to do with this!! :) Ha!
  • Anyway, who cares how or why, but the problem does appear to be fixed!
Additionally, it seems that Safari is finally stable...at least so far. NOPE. Spoke too soon.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 4.14.58 PM.png

Last edited:
Back