Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Photoshop has launched and run a couple of times without crashing, but (a) it launches less then 10% of the time, and (b) it has never launched a second time in a row.

P.S. I have 2 days remaining in my 7-day Creative Cloud trial so if anyone would like anything specific to be tested, please let me know before Monday!

Please remove all Adobe software with Creative Cloud Cleaner and try again.
What you described above can be activation issue.

Done...all Creative Cloud apps have been deleted; system has been rebooted; and now I'm reinstalling Creative Cloud. Will start with Photoshop only first.

Plan is as follows (feel free to suggest changes):
  • Install Photoshop
  • Install naveenkrdy patches
  • Launch Photoshop with:
    • MKL_DEBUG_CPU_TYPE=2
    • MKL_DEBUG_CPU_TYPE=5
  • If problems occur, then install perl patches and try again.
Bash:
sudo perl -i -pe 's|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x6A\x00|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x3A\x00|sg' /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2020/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2020.app/Contents/PlugIns/Required/Extensions/MMXCore.plugin/Contents/MacOS/MMXCore
sudo perl -i -pe 's|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x6A\x00|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x3A\x00|sg' /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2020/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2020.app/Contents/PlugIns/Required/Extensions/FastCore.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FastCore

Fortunately, macOS Big Sur enables full sleep and wake capability if we disable the dedicated USB 2.0 ports.
Is this really so specific to Big Sur? IOW what happens if USB 2.0 ports are disabled on Mojave ?
Personally I much prefer to stay at least a couple of OS's behind - things tend to be more stable and, especially for something as bleeding edge as MacOS on Ryzen, easier to troubleshoot when you're not juggling public beta quirks at the same time.
That said this is an exceptionally detailed and well written Golden Build guide which I for one hugely appreciate, especially for the research effort that's gone into it's writing - Thank you!

Done...all Creative Cloud apps have been deleted; system has been rebooted; and now I'm reinstalling Creative Cloud. Will start with Photoshop only first.

Plan is as follows (feel free to suggest changes):
  • Install Photoshop
  • Install naveenkrdy patches
  • Launch Photoshop with:
    • MKL_DEBUG_CPU_TYPE=2
    • MKL_DEBUG_CPU_TYPE=5
  • If problems occur, then install perl patches and try again.
Bash:
sudo perl -i -pe 's|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x6A\x00|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x3A\x00|sg' /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2020/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2020.app/Contents/PlugIns/Required/Extensions/MMXCore.plugin/Contents/MacOS/MMXCore
sudo perl -i -pe 's|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x6A\x00|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x3A\x00|sg' /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2020/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2020.app/Contents/PlugIns/Required/Extensions/FastCore.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FastCore
Update 1:

After applying the following patches:

Bash:
for file in MMXCore FastCore TextModel libiomp5.dylib; do
    find /Applications/Adobe* -type f -name $file | while read -r FILE; do
        sudo -v
        echo "found $FILE"
        [[ ! -f ${FILE}.back ]] && sudo cp -f $FILE ${FILE}.back || sudo cp -f ${FILE}.back $FILE
        echo $FILE | grep libiomp5 >/dev/null
        if [[ $? == 0 ]]; then
            dir=$(dirname "$FILE")
            [[ ! -f ${HOME}/libiomp5.dylib ]] && cd $HOME && curl -sO https://excellmedia.dl.sourceforge.net/project/badgui2/libs/mac64/libiomp5.dylib
            echo -n "replacing " && sudo cp -vf ${HOME}/libiomp5.dylib $dir && echo
            rm -f ${HOME}/libiomp5.dylib
            continue
        fi
        echo $FILE | grep TextModel >/dev/null
        [[ $? == 0 ]] && echo "emptying $FILE" && sudo echo -n >$FILE && continue
        echo "patching $FILE \n"
        sudo perl -i -pe 's|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x6A\x00|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x3A\x00|sg' $FILE
        sudo perl -i -pe 's|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x4A\x00|\x90\x90\x90\x90\x56\xE8\x1A\x00|sg' $FILE
    done
done
then rebooting and launching Photoshop with MKL_DEBUG_CPU_TYPE=2, it runs:

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 7.42.10 AM.png

Now I'll see if Photoshop will work when quit and re-launched...

Yes, it worked four times in a row!
Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 7.46.51 AM.png

I am launching Photoshop with an Automator script as follows:
Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 8.12.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 8.09.45 AM.png

Last edited:
Thank you! This seems to have made all the difference. Photoshop is working very well now!

I am tempted to upgrade this system as follows: :)
  • CPU upgrade to newly announced AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (12-core, 24-thread)
  • GPU upgrade to forthcoming AMD Radeon RX 6000 series (Big Navi)
  • NVMe SSD to PCIe 4.0

Last edited:
Is this really so specific to Big Sur? IOW what happens if USB 2.0 ports are disabled on Mojave ?
Personally I much prefer to stay at least a couple of OS's behind - things tend to be more stable and, especially for something as bleeding edge as MacOS on Ryzen, easier to troubleshoot when you're not juggling public beta quirks at the same time.
That said this is an exceptionally detailed and well written Golden Build guide which I for one hugely appreciate, especially for the research effort that's gone into it's writing - Thank you!
It's very likely that sleep/wake will work with Catalina using the same EFI folder without making any changes. I may attempt a Catalina installation soon. After using Big Sur for the past few weeks I'm finding it very difficult to go back to Catalina. Big Sur, to me at least, is considerably more pleasant an environment.

P.S. I have 2 days remaining in my 7-day Creative Cloud trial so if anyone would like anything specific to be tested, please let me know before Monday!

@CaseySJ Does your trial membership give you access to the beta versions (the erlenmeyer flask icon in the left menu of the Creative Cloud app)? I've read elsewhere that Adobe has started to remove Intel-specific code in those, and they might run un-patched on AMD. But I haven't actually seen anyone verify that yet.

Also, any chance you could see if After Effects will open? Happy to send over a project file to test if you're not familiar with the program.

@CaseySJ Does your trial membership give you access to the beta versions (the erlenmeyer flask icon in the left menu of the Creative Cloud app)? I've read elsewhere that Adobe has started to remove Intel-specific code in those, and they might run un-patched on AMD. But I haven't actually seen anyone verify that yet.

Also, any chance you could see if After Effects will open? Happy to send over a project file to test if you're not familiar with the program.
Glad to try After Effects in a few minutes. Feel free to send project file. Currently on a lovely 1 hour walk around the neighborhood!

Regarding access to beta apps, I have the options below. If there's anything you'd like me to try please let me know. Hmm, Photoshop is missing.

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.38.53 AM.png

Regarding access to beta apps, I have the options below. If there's anything you'd like me to try please let me know. Hmm, Photoshop is missing.

Yeah, my guess is Photoshop is going to be the most complicated one for them to update, unfortunately. Several decades of legacy features still hanging around in there.

For the beta apps, I'd love to know if any of them will install/open on your machine without patching. They should install side-by-side with the regular apps, so shouldn't interfere with your other testing.

I'll collect an After Effects project in just a few minutes and post a download link here.

Thanks so much for doing this! And no rush, obviously. Enjoy your walk!

Back