Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus pro Z390 wifi
CPU
intel i7-8700
Graphics
Radeon RX580 8GB
Hi, has anyone managed to install a working version of Mac OS Monterey on a Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro, Intel i7-8700 and a Radeon RX 580 8GB. I have tried to follow several Youtube videos, none of which I could get working. I have been running Mojave for the past few years and thought I might upgrade. Unfortunately, I can only get as far as building the boot disk, when I try and install, It starts and I get stuck half way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John

Hi, has anyone managed to install a working version of Mac OS Monterey on a Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro, Intel i7-8700 and a Radeon RX 580 8GB. I have tried to follow several Youtube videos, none of which I could get working. I have been running Mojave for the past few years and thought I might upgrade. Unfortunately, I can only get as far as building the boot disk, when I try and install, It starts and I get stuck half way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John

Unfortunately, I can only get as far as building the boot disk, when I try and install, It starts and I get stuck half way.
Clover or OpenCore? Half way through the Apple progress bar, or somewhere else? Can you upload your OpenCore EFI folder (I can't help with Clover) that you use on your boot "disk?" And is that a USB flash drive, or did you mean your hard disk/SSD?

Attachments

• EFI Z390.zip
    2 MB · Views: 57
@IWishToLearn,

Looking at your EFI folder,
1. Almost all the OpenCore files are out of date. If this were my computer, I would throw out this folder and download and install OpenCore version 0.8.2.
2. If you are interested, I have attached my OpenCore 0.8.2 EFI folder below, for my computer at left.
3. I have not used my EFI folder beyond Big Sur, but it did work there for me.
4. I edited my config.plist by replacing my Platforminfo's "generic" data with your own.
5. I replaced my "USBPorts.kext" with yours.
6. You will probably want to change the NVRAM boot-args and csr-active-config values to match what you need, but mine work for me.
7. There are many changes from your config.plist, some from OpenCore, some from my plist (of course). Do with the attachment what you will.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5 MB · Views: 86
@IWishToLearn,

Looking at your EFI folder,
1. Almost all the OpenCore files are out of date. If this were my computer, I would throw out this folder and download and install OpenCore version 0.8.2.
2. If you are interested, I have attached my OpenCore 0.8.2 EFI folder below, for my computer at left.
3. I have not used my EFI folder beyond Big Sur, but it did work there for me.
4. I edited my config.plist by replacing my Platforminfo's "generic" data with your own.
5. I replaced my "USBPorts.kext" with yours.
6. You will probably want to change the NVRAM boot-args and csr-active-config values to match what you need, but mine work for me.
7. There are many changes from your config.plist, some from OpenCore, some from my plist (of course). Do with the attachment what you will.
Thank you! I will report back after I get done giving it another try. I’d be happy with Big Sur at present since it’s been down for 2 weeks now.

Assuming you try my EFI folder and the OpenCanopy GUI window appears, you have about 3 seconds to press one of your arrow keys to select your desired storage device. It will almost certainly not be initially pointing to anything useful. If you just "let it flow," you will probably get a reboot. Assuming you are able to boot into your desired Mac OS, you should go to System Preferences and choose your startup disk. OpenCore will then respect that, and booting should automatically pick your choice.

My EFI folder was set up to hide "auxiliaries." To see all your choices in the OpenCanopy window, press the spacebar after it opens, and you will see everything. (That will also pause the boot process.)

Last edited:
OK, this is my first go around with open core, just clear disclosure. It was bootable off a Monterey boot stick, and if I select Install Monterey, it sits at about 1% and doesn't seem to go anywhere.

OK, this is my first go around with open core, just clear disclosure. It was bootable off a Monterey boot stick, and if I select Install Monterey, it sits at about 1% and doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Hi there.

Please update your Hardware Profile. We can see you have three builds in your signature, but "Multiple" three times in the Profile means nothing to anyone coming across the thread later-on and wanting to help. It is also a part of the Site Rules that your main or current build is listed there. Thank you.:thumbup:

Okay, as to you your installation problem - which EFI are you using? Your own or the one uploaded by @wstrohm ?

When you get the Apple progress-bar sticking at 1% are any USB ports active? For example, if you have a USB keyboard does the caps-lock LED toggle on/off? It may be that the port you are using for the USB installer becomes inactive.

Try the "CMD+V" key-combo at the OpenCore boot screen to select Verbose mode which should give you a text read-out of the boot and where it sticks. Take a photo and upload it here.

:)

Hi there.

Please update your Hardware Profile. We can see you have three builds in your signature, but "Multiple" three times in the Profile means nothing to anyone coming across the thread later-on and wanting to help. It is also a part of the Site Rules that your main or current build is listed there. Thank you.:thumbup:

Okay, as to you your installation problem - which EFI are you using? Your own or the one uploaded by @wstrohm ?

When you get the Apple progress-bar sticking at 1% are any USB ports active? For example, if you have a USB keyboard does the caps-lock LED toggle on/off? It may be that the port you are using for the USB installer becomes inactive.

Try the "CMD+V" key-combo at the OpenCore boot screen to select Verbose mode which should give you a text read-out of the boot and where it sticks. Take a photo and upload it here.

:)
I dunno why my sig was showing weird. Here’s what I saw in my sig builder:
1658555283406.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back