Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro, i7-8700 and a Radeon RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you like me to do as far as an EFI folder once I've done that?
Well, I've just upgraded my three EFI folders (for Mini-ITX 1, 3, and 4 computers) from 0.8.2 to 0.8.3. All work fine. So you could follow the OpenCore Guide, or I could modify my Z390 EFI folder for you and upload it. But probably even with your Platform/Generic stuff and UtterDisbelief's USBPorts.kext files in there, you still might have problems. In the latter case, that would take a day or so for me to create a "maybe" EFI folder from my 0.8.3 basis.

[Edit: See my next post.]

Last edited:
@IWishToLearn,
I went ahead and made a new EFI folder with your platform data, a complete SSDT-PLUG.aml from OC 0.8.3, and UtterDisbelief's USBPorts.kext file. Give it a try on your USB Monterey installer. (This is a copy of my OC 0.8.3 EFI folder for my Mini-ITX 4 computer, with the above exceptions.)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Monterey install complete - it's restoring from the Time Machine backup of prior users, apps, etc.

I presume once this is all done processing that I will need to move the EFI folder onto the EFI partition of the hard drive. What other config will be necessary? (I'm learning a lot with all of the guidance...OpenCore baffled me but it's making more sense now.)

Last edited:
I presume once this is all done processing that I will need to move the EFI folder onto the EFI partition of the hard drive.
Congratulations, and yes, you should copy the EFI folder to your target disk's EFI partition, and change your BIOS to reflect your SSD boot choice(s). OC will respect your choice of startup disk in System Preferences, so pick the one you want while booted. To see everything in the OpenCanopy GUI display, just hit the spacebar while its window is open, and you will see the "auxiliary" choices like the Recovery disk, "Reset NVRAM," and "Toggle SIP."

Your next task would be to create a proper USBPorts.kext to replace the all-"HS" one with a mix of "HS" and "SS" ports, not to exceed a total of 15. No change will be necessary to the config.plist's USBPorts.kext listing, since the kext title will not change. "Hackintool" will be your good friend to help with that task. If you have questions, post them here.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Congratulations, and yes, you should copy the EFI folder to your target disk's EFI partition, and change your BIOS to reflect your SSD boot choice(s). OC will respect your choice of startup disk in System Preferences, so pick the one you want while booted. To see everything in the OpenCanopy GUI display, just hit the spacebar while its window is open, and you will see the "auxiliary" choices like the Recovery disk, "Reset NVRAM," and "Toggle SIP."

Your next task would be to create a proper USBPorts.kext to replace the all-"HS" one with a mix of "HS" and "SS" ports, not to exceed a total of 15. No change will be necessary to the config.plist since the kext title will not change. "Hackintool" will be your good friend to help with that task. If you have questions, post them here.

Have fun!
OK. Copy EFI folder - should I do the USBPorts following https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/ ?
And after it is booted from the hard drive EFI or while it's still usb booted from install?

OK. Copy EFI folder - should I do the USBPorts following https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/ ?
And after it is booted from the hard drive EFI or while it's still usb booted from install?
2nd question first: It will work just fine after you have chosen your SSD boot disk in your BIOS and are booted on your SSD.

I am too obsolete regarding creating a new USBPorts listing, although certainly everything Hackintool does is well explained by UtterDisbelief's article. My issue is I haven't done the initial portion in years, i.e. activating all a computer's USB ports so the desired ports can be picked in Hackintool. Not sure USBInjectAll even works on Monterey. Or maybe you just need to change the config.plist/Kernel/Quirks/XHCPortLimit value to YES and that may do it. You would know you are seeing all your logical ports when Hackintool shows you a number of logical ports roughly twice the number of your physical USB 2/3 connectors, plus an internal Bluetooth port (or more).

But I haven't needed to do this recently, so... ask UtterDisbelief, maybe.

Last edited:
Okay, here is what I have found in Mojave (not Monterey) that I have to do to activate all my Z390's USB ports. This was confirmed by IORegistry Explorer.
1. Remove my existing USBPorts.kext from my EFI/OC/Kexts folder. (Save it somewhere, of course!)
2. Open EFI/config.plist/Kernel/Quirks and change value from NO to YES.
3. Reboot.
Now I open IORegistryExplorer and I see 24 active USB ports under "XHC." Putting things back to "normal," IORegistryExplorer once again shows only the 15 active ports listed in my USBPorts.kext file, which is correct.

So I think that is what you should do for the first part of creating your own USBPorts.kext. Get all your ports activated this way, and then follow UtterDisbelief's method using Hackintool. Remember after you have your new USBPorts.kext installed to change the Kernel/Quirks/XHCPortLimit value back to NO. Then reboot and verify your ports in IORegistryExporer.

Alrighty then. I'm up and running with a modified USBPorts from Hackintool. Got my map - does this look somewhat right? The ones I labeled "NO WORK" ... don't flag anything. It didn't matter what I plugged into the USB1 ports, nothing changed but they all appear to work with keyboard/mice/etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 3.42.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 3.42.41 PM.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 14
  • USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 21
Can't comment on the "NO WORK" screenshot (I'm ignorant there) but here is your USBPorts.kext list of your active ports. It should agree with your XHC listing in your IORegistryExplorer (you should check that). If these are the ports you want, everything should be "copacetic" now. (You have space in the Apple USB memory array for two more ports, if you so choose.) Hopefully you have or will have this kext in all your device EFI folders, SSD(s) and your flash drive.

IWTL USBPorts list.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back