Graphics
GTX 260 BFG Maxcore
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Well since my P55A-UD4P's onboard NICs can't achieve gigabit speed, and noone seems to think otherwise (seen other posts asking if anyone HAS been successful) does anyone know of a reasonably priced PCI/PCI-E NIC that DOES work at gigabit speed in OS X?

(note that if I manually set 1000Mbit in the network preferences pane, the hub light turns green as if it is a gigabit connection, but actual transfer speeds are terrible - maybe 20 Mbit/s (2-3Mbyte/s). I do better letting it connect at 100Mbit).

Thanks!

Really? Not possible to get gigabit speeds in 64 bit SL with ANY network card? Someone has to have this working?

Haha thanks!

theslug said:
Really? Not possible to get gigabit speeds in 64 bit SL with ANY network card? Someone has to have this working?

Haha thanks!

You've already tested using Advanced options for the connection through System Preferences/Network right?

theslug said:

Haha thanks!
From what I read, Realtek won't be doing a 64-bit driver for any of their ethernet chips. The problem is most add-in cards use this chipset. So the only other board to try would be an Intel board.

I have the almost identical board (UD3 instead of 4) and here's what I did:

Installed RealtekR1000SL kext and ran system utilities using MultiBeast.
System Preferences-->Network
Clicked "Advanced Options"
Clicked far right tab (Ethernet)
Set "Configure" to "Manually"
Set "Speed" to "1000baseT"
Click "Apply"

Leave Duplex and MTU alone; I tested various configs, and there's very little difference, though my sustained send was about 6mb/s faster leaving the Duplex setting at Half (but I am running through a router connected to a modem, so it actualy shouldn't have done anything at all really).

Tested a 6gb disk image: before change copied at about 11mb/s, after at roughly 76-85mb/s.

Also, this may be a "duh", but make sure you are using CAT5e or above cable. CAT5 won't carry a gigabit signal remotely well.

Did exactly the same thing and no love. Connects at 1 Gbit, but actual xfer speeds are really slow (like I said in my other post, maybe 20Mbit or 2-3MByte a sec). No clue why this is - could be my hub - but I've tried with 2 different hubs (netgear, dlink, as well as a direct connection) and in addition everything works fine in ubuntu and windows. If I use realtek's driver in 32-bit mode, it also works fine.

*shrug* maybe you have a slightly differend realtek chipset than me, I have 8111D.

theslug said:
Did exactly the same thing and no love. Connects at 1 Gbit, but actual xfer speeds are really slow (like I said in my other post, maybe 20Mbit or 2-3MByte a sec). No clue why this is - could be my hub - but I've tried with 2 different hubs (netgear, dlink, as well as a direct connection) and in addition everything works fine in ubuntu and windows. If I use realtek's driver in 32-bit mode, it also works fine.

*shrug* maybe you have a slightly differend realtek chipset than me, I have 8111D.
Try the official Realtek drivers (from Realtek web site) which are 32-bit only and seem to fix the performance problems.

MacMan said:
theslug said:

Try the official Realtek drivers (from Realtek web site) which are 32-bit only and seem to fix the performance problems.

Like I said in my post, it works fine using the official realtek drivers in 32 bit mode, but I have other issues (worse handbrake performance, long startup times, etc). I was wondering what chipsets work in 64 bit mode with one driver or another.

Thanks!

This is definitely odd, as I'm using the drivers included in multibeast and mine is working. My system is running in 64-bit mode with no issues. Are you sure the problem is with your hack and not the system you're connecting to? All my systems (G5 and two hackintoshs) that I tested with are 64-bit, maybe there's a problem there? I can't imagine a way that that could be the issue, but you never know.

Try running multibeast again, you can run your whole install or just the RealTek drivers; make sure you select the right ones as there are a couple. And run disk utility/Onyx/Cocktail/your cleaning software of choice. And swap out cables, routers, computers you connect to, etc (sounds like you're already done this). Look for any kexts that could be overriding your RealTek one (check your extras folder too). And, um, burn some incense and dance in a circle, chanting in homage to Coyote. It won't help, but he likes that.

I'd also suggest (if you have the time and the spare drive), if all else fails, doing a full, clean multibeast vanilla install on a separate drive and test with it, see if you can get it working there; at least then you'll know if it's your install or your hardware...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back