CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If I try to boot using the Mojave HDD for preboot and boot, the boot goes as far as
the Randomseed, then crashes and tries to reboot. See screenshot “Mojave boot attempt”. Is this a kernel panic?

If I preboot to the USB, then boot to Mojave from the HDD, it will boot slowly (15 -
20 minutes). Once booted, most things work but are intermittently slow. For
example, selecting a drive in Finder with the mouse will sometimes take 50
seconds of spinning or frozen color wheel before the action is completed.

I have installed Lilu, WhateverGreen, AppleALC, and AirportBrcmFixup per
the Idiotʼs Guide using KextBeast for install and Kext Utility to repair premissions.
See screenshot Mojave Library/Extensions. I may have more kexts than I need in there, but I donʼt know which ones were installed by Mojave, so I have been reluctant to delete without knowing.

In Clover, I have cleaned up the drivers and kexts to match a suggestion from Pilgrim for what “should” work from a different thread. My understanding is that the Randomseed crash is a memory issue that should be fixed by AptioMemoryFix-64, but it doesn't appear to be working here.

Is there any additional information I need to post?

Please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Attachments

• Mojave boot attempt.png
    Mojave boot attempt.png
    436.8 KB · Views: 65
  • config.plist
    5.3 KB · Views: 120
  • EFI screenshot.png
    EFI screenshot.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Mojave Library:Extensions.png
    Mojave Library:Extensions.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 59
Is this a brand new Hackintosh (installing Mojave from scratch)? Or did this system work previously with either an earlier build of Mojave or an earlier version of MacOS (High Sierra, for example)?

If the system worked previously with either Mojave or earlier MacOS using AptioMemoryFix-64, but it isn't booting now, then try...

1. Try one of the other memory fix drivers instead of AptioMemoryFix64.
2. If all memory fix drivers fail, go to: BIOS --> iGPU --> DVMT Pre-Alloc. Try setting it to a low value of 32MB or 64MB.
3. If it still does not get past Randomseed problem, make a note of your BIOS settings, choose BIOS --> Load Optimized Defaults, modify the minimum set of BIOS settings, and try again.
4. If that also fails (as it did recently for my Gigabyte Designare), I re-flashed the BIOS then modified the minimum set of BIOS settings, and my boot-time memory errors vanished with AptioMemoryFix-64.

If this is a first-time installation of MacOS on this system, try each of the other memory fix drivers one by one. If you search this forum for "randomseed" you'll find a lot of [solved] threads.

Thanks CaseySJ!

Mine is a first time installation and has never booted on its own. You list was a good plan to move forward.

I spent the afternoon going through the list, but no success. I was able to flip between a crash and a freeze disabling CSM, but no effective memory fix.

You are right about the many Randomseed threads. I have tried many of the solutions without success. It seems that many of those threads are using High Sierra and Z chipsets. Perhaps the Mojave and H chipset needs something different.

So its on into danger and a BIOS flash. There are 4 BIOS updates since my mobo shipped.

Thanks CaseySJ!

Mine is a first time installation and has never booted on its own. You list was a good plan to move forward.

I spent the afternoon going through the list, but no success. I was able to flip between a crash and a freeze disabling CSM, but no effective memory fix.

You are right about the many Randomseed threads. I have tried many of the solutions without success. It seems that many of those threads are using High Sierra and Z chipsets. Perhaps the Mojave and H chipset needs something different.

So its on into danger and a BIOS flash. There are 4 BIOS updates since my mobo shipped.
Because you can boot Mojave from the USB disk, but not from the Mojave disk, it means:
  • The Clover EFI folder on the USB disk is working for you -- even if it results in very sluggish performance.
  • The Clover EFI folder on the Mojave disk is causing the randomseed boot failure.
Additionally, the SMBIOS section of the config.plist you posted seems incomplete (I've removed the "SerialNumber" intentionally below):

Code:
<key>SMBIOS</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BiosVersion</key>
        <string>IM142.88Z.0131.B00.1809171347</string>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>iMac14,2</string>
        <key>SerialNumber</key>
        <string>[removed]</string>
        <key>Trust</key>
        <false/>
    </dict>

Based on these observations, I would suggest:
  • Examine the difference between the two EFI folders. Or zip and post them here.
  • In Clover Configurator, open your config.plist, go to the SMBIOS section, click the little pop-up icon near the right side that will reveal a list of Mac models. Choose the iMac14,2 and all of the SMBIOS fields should get populated.
If Mojave is installed on a HDD (i.e. spinning platter hard drive), do you have a SSD you can use? The sluggish performance might be due to the OS kernel writing a ton of stuff into the /var/log files, which will slow down a spinning hard drive, but won't slow an SSD quite as much. Anyway, also have a look at the /var/log folder with Terminal and check for any really large file sizes.

Edit: please post your BIOS settings (at least the ones you changed from their default values).

Last edited:
First of all, thank you CaseySJ. I appreciate your help.

Mojave is on a spinner for now. I don't have an SSD available. When I ordered parts for this build, I was still learning/deciding between SATA SSD or NVME, so I didn't buy one yet. It is definitely high on my to do list.

The comparison between the USB and Mojave EFI and config.plist is very interesting. Lots of additional drivers on the USB. I suspect that many are not needed. Please advise, but it doesn't look like any of these differences affect the memory fix.

In ACPI, the USB is using automerge. In devices, the USB uses an Intelgfx address of 0x12345678 which is 0x0 on Mojave. In graphics, the USB injects Intel. Kernel patches has several patches on the USB where all patches are disabled in Mojave. The
USB SMBIOS has even less information than the original Mojave. I did update the SMBIOS as you suggested but it didn't change the boot issue. Finally, system parameters has inject kexts as a 'yes' for the USB and a 'detect' for Mojave.

The current config.plist and EFI for both USB and Mojave are attached. There is also screenshots of the Finder page showing the two EFI's and a shot of the var/log. There are two very large files, and install log and a system log.

Finally, the changes from optimized defaults on the BIOS.

BIOS
security option = setup. Also tried '=system' with no difference.
fast boot = disabled
CSM Support = disabled (When disabled, boot freezes at Randomseed. When enabled, boot crashes and restarts at Randomseed)
Secure Boot = disabled

Peripherals
Security Device Support = disabled
XHCI Hand off = enabled (no difference with disabled)
IO Serial Port = disabled

Chipset
VT-d = disabled
Internal Graphics = Auto
DVMT Pre-allocated = 32M (tried 64M with no difference)
DVMT Total Gfx mem = 256M (This is default, but wanted to be complete)
Mojave HDD EFI Dec 7.png USB EFI Dec 7.png var:log.png

Attachments

• EFI Mojave HDD.zip
    25.3 MB · Views: 65
  • Mojave HDD config.plist
    5.3 KB · Views: 134
  • EFI USB.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 52
  • USB config.plist
    5.4 KB · Views: 105
One quick suggestion is to reset CMOS or re-flash your motherboard BIOS. Some persistent randomseed / could not allocate memory problems were resolved by doing so.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ays-now-couldnt-allocate-runtime-area.266953/

This will reset your BIOS settings, but it takes just a couple of minutes to set them up to right values again.

One more thing: can you please upload the last 300 lines of install.log? You can do this as follows in Terminal:
Code:
cd /var/log     (this might require "sudo" like this:  sudo cd /var/log)
tail -300 install.log > /tmp/shortened-install.log    (this might also require sudo)
Then upload /tmp/shortened-install.log

Last edited:
Thanks again. The CMOS reset didn't change anything.
I was doing something wrong with the install.log in terminal, so I did it another way. I have attached roughly the last 300 lines.
I am starting to think about selectively adding choices from the USB Clover. That would be things not related to graphics because WhatEverGreen should cover the same ground.

Attachments

• Mojave install.log last 300.pdf
    43.8 KB · Views: 91
First of all, thank you CaseySJ. I appreciate your help.

Mojave is on a spinner for now. I don't have an SSD available. When I ordered parts for this build, I was still learning/deciding between SATA SSD or NVME, so I didn't buy one yet. It is definitely high on my to do list.

The comparison between the USB and Mojave EFI and config.plist is very interesting. Lots of additional drivers on the USB. I suspect that many are not needed. Please advise, but it doesn't look like any of these differences affect the memory fix.

In ACPI, the USB is using automerge. In devices, the USB uses an Intelgfx address of 0x12345678 which is 0x0 on Mojave. In graphics, the USB injects Intel. Kernel patches has several patches on the USB where all patches are disabled in Mojave. The
USB SMBIOS has even less information than the original Mojave. I did update the SMBIOS as you suggested but it didn't change the boot issue. Finally, system parameters has inject kexts as a 'yes' for the USB and a 'detect' for Mojave.

The current config.plist and EFI for both USB and Mojave are attached. There is also screenshots of the Finder page showing the two EFI's and a shot of the var/log. There are two very large files, and install log and a system log.

Finally, the changes from optimized defaults on the BIOS.

BIOS
security option = setup. Also tried '=system' with no difference.
fast boot = disabled
CSM Support = disabled (When disabled, boot freezes at Randomseed. When enabled, boot crashes and restarts at Randomseed)
Secure Boot = disabled

Peripherals
Security Device Support = disabled
XHCI Hand off = enabled (no difference with disabled)
IO Serial Port = disabled

Chipset
VT-d = disabled
Internal Graphics = Auto
DVMT Pre-allocated = 32M (tried 64M with no difference)
DVMT Total Gfx mem = 256M (This is default, but wanted to be complete)
View attachment 370992 View attachment 370994 View attachment 370995

Have you tried any AptioFixes such as MemoryFix or any AptioDrvFix-64 ?

Note if you try AptioMemoryFix then exclude any other Aptio Fixes as the will collide.
If AptioMemoryFix does not work. Move over to the AptioFixDrv-64 and OsxAptioFixDrv-free2000

This is going to be trial and error as I had the same issues with my Build 2

Curious/\/\ac

Last edited:
Have you tried any AptioFixes such as MemoryFix or any AptioDrvFix-64 ?

Note if you try AptioMemoryFix then exclude any other Aptio Fixes as the will collide.
If AptioMemoryFix does not work. Move over to the AptioDrvFix-64 and AptioDrvFix-free2000

This is going to be trial and error as I had the same issues with my Build 2

Curious/\/\ac

Thanks CuriousMac. Yes, I went through the Aptio Fixes one by one without success. The only one I haven't tried is AptioDrvFix-free2000. I am not familiar with that one.

Thanks CuriousMac. Yes, I went through the Aptio Fixes one by one without success. The only one I haven't tried is OsxAptioDrvFix-free2000. I am not familiar with that one.

Its apparently for MSI boards, although I used it on my Asus build and worked wonders. Have a go at it and let me know.

Related Links:
OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000

Curious/\/\ac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back