Contribute
Register

gibMacOS Tutorial ~ How to Download macOS Directly from Apple

I am having issues with step 3. When I right click gibMacOS.command, Terminal opens up but I get an AttributeError. No pick options appear and nothing downloads.

View attachment 485817

EDIT - got it to work after a quick update of my Yosemite system. That was the solution!
Hello,

What "update" did you do, I'm running Sierra on a 2010 MBP and getting the same error..

Thanks for the help..

This script's "BuildmacOSIstallApp.command" does not seem to like Big Sur. It is looking for a list of files like:

self.target_files = [
"BaseSystem.dmg",
"BaseSystem.chunklist",
"InstallESDDmg.pkg",
"InstallInfo.plist",
"AppleDiagnostics.dmg",
"AppleDiagnostics.chunklist"
]

That are not in the folder that BigSur downloads... Using the initial script gibMacOS downloads a Big Sur folder that only contains these items:

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 1.35.53 PM.png

Update:

The second part of this installer, the one where you right click on the "BuildmacOSInstallApp.command" is not needed.

What BigSur needs is to run the "InstallAssistant.pkg" and just follow the prompts and leave the location at the default (or it will not be correct). THAT is what creates the "Install macOS Big Sur.app" file and places it in your Applications folder.

Update:

The second part of this installer, the one where you right click on the "BuildmacOSInstallApp.command" is not needed.

What BigSur needs is to run the "InstallAssistant.pkg" and just follow the prompts and leave the location at the default (or it will not be correct). THAT is what creates the "Install macOS Big Sur.app" file and places it in your Applications folder.
it has already been mentioned on github

I've updated the OP to make a note of this issue. Thanks.

Last edited:
InstallESDDmg.pkg download failed . Is there a way to download only that file without download others ?
Thanks.

Is there a way to download only that file without download others ?
Not that I know of. Which macOS version ? Sometimes this happens when you temporarily lose your internet connection.

Last edited:
Back