Contribute
Register

gibMacOS Tutorial ~ How to Download macOS Directly from Apple

Are you old enough to remember dumb terminals connected to main-frames? Do you remember the first Macs? The first IBM PS-1 or PS-2 PCs? Mustang drives? DOS? Windows 3.1, maybe? Commodore 64? If not, you are not old yet - you are just middle-aged!
You forgot punch cards.

You forgot punch cards.
Ah, yes. The fatal card drop when you have a 300 card stack of Fortran program and a 30 minute reserved window to run it and get a printout for class and you drop the box and cards go everywhere! If you passed the 7P test you have numbered your cards and can still get them in order in time to run the stack - if not, oh well, there went that grade down the drain.

I'm trying to put my hands on an installer that doesn't require Internet connection. Is there such a thing?

I'm trying to put my hands on an installer that doesn't require Internet connection. Is there such a thing?
Could you state your question more clearly ? Doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't need to be run on a Mac/Hack either. It can be run on a Windows machine as well if you have Python installed (another free download), just run the gibmacos.bat and makeinstall.bat files instead.

Hi there... I'm trying this on a PC as my hackintosh is simply too old to even risk an upgrade there. So Im going for a new build. I get to the makeinstall stage on the PC and then it all seems to fall apart. Any hints as to what options I should be using?

I'm currently selecting the drive letter 4 in my case for the USB... I have a multitude of additional attributes I can select... I'mjust going with option 4 for the USB stick, then I get to the next phase...

The makeinstall file will only accept RecoveryHDmetaDmg.PKG.. as soon as I then select that it fails instantly.

Either I'm missing something (quite likely) or this isn't a viable process, via the PC.

Any help much appreciated.

Everything is working fine until I get to #5 and when I drag and drop the "InstallESDDmg.pkg" to a blank new page in Terminal and hit return it says: "macOS Catalina/InstallESDDmg.pkg: Permission denied." Any reason why? Is there a work around on this? Let me know, thank you.

Hi trs96, I was wondering if you might have any time today to answer my question above. Is there something that I may be doing wrong? Because I tried this process on two Mac systems (mine, using macOS 10.15 and my sons MacBook Pro using 10.15.6). Any input would be great, thanks.

Hi trs96, I was wondering if you might have any time today to answer my question above. Is there something that I may be doing wrong? Because I tried this process on two Mac systems (mine, using macOS 10.15 and my sons MacBook Pro using 10.15.6). Any input would be great, thanks.
Any system running Catalina should have SIP disabled. The Unibeast Video has a demo of that process via Terminal. csrutil disable and a reboot will do it. Required to make the Unibeast USB so just do it now and leave it disabled till that's complete. Also note that with your 1080 gfx card you can only go as far as High Sierra, no Catalina drivers for it.

Last edited:
Any system running Catalina should have SIP disabled. The Unibeast Video has a demo of that process via Terminal. csrutil disable and a reboot will do it. Required to make the Unibeast USB so just do it now and leave it disabled till that's complete. Also note that with your 1080 gfx card you can only go as far as High Sierra, no Catalina drivers for it.

Thank you trs96. I will watch it and let you know it comes along. Just to let you know I have another system that I'm using that has a AMD Radeon VII GPU. That's what I'm working on now. Again, thanks.

Back