Contribute
Register

gibMacOS Tutorial ~ How to Download macOS Directly from Apple

I'm also having the same download issue w/ the Mojave file. I was able to to download Catalina a few days ago. But I'm having issues during clean install w/ my Maximus VI Gene. So I'm trying to start a clean install w/ Mojave since I have no way of getting El Capitan. Download starts 20mbps then it stops, goes back up to 10 until it completes. I got an error message "The folder is missing the following required files: BaseSystem.DMG, BaseSystem.chunklist, AppleDiagnostic.dmg. The slow speed issue seems to happen on other sites/source. Could be because of more people being home.

EDIT: I take it back. Turns out the ethernet port on my MAC MINI is bouncing. Disconnecting / Reconnecting.

Last edited:
I'm having issues downloading Catalina from the app store. It acts like it downloads but the file is too small. Then I try and create the disk with UniBeast, and I get the screen at the end saying the OS is a partial download stuff is missing.
When I do the gibMacOS, I follow the video to a T, and every time I get this.
Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 9.53.09 PM.png

Any help would be great. I'm trying to update from Yosemite. Thank you.

I'm having issues downloading Catalina from the app store. It acts like it downloads but the file is too small. Then I try and create the disk with UniBeast, and I get the screen at the end saying the OS is a partial download stuff is missing.
When I do the gibMacOS, I follow the video to a T, and every time I get this.

Any help would be great. I'm trying to update from Yosemite. Thank you.

^^^^^ hey, thank you for posting that, I didn’t know about the log, I’ll check through that today.. I was able to make a high Sierra disk last night, so I’m gonna try and update one of my hard drives to that and when my other hard drive arrives that I ordered I will keep trying Catalina.. thanks again for the help running into problems is what helps me learn more about this stuff and then maybe I will not wait years to update my system like I did this time. Lol

Yo, I’m struggling over here. I’ve got two hard drives running Yosemite just fine. In case I mess up, one internal and one external which is completely bootable with the other one unhooked. I also got a fresh internal HDD I just installed. I’ve tried so much stuff, even the thing where it took half a day to get the full download, and it was the right size and everything and still the same result.

I've tried 5 times to download the newest Catalina edition (10.15.6), but any time it FAILS to download completely the installESDDmg.pkg file.. at some "random" point it moves to the next file to download. The process is completed and the whole folder is less than 8GBs..

Every time it stops at 1.03GB, around 13%..

Any thoughts?
I'm trying to download it through my old Macbook with Core 2 Duo.

Last edited:
Any thoughts?
I'm trying to download it through my old Macbook with Core 2 Duo.
What is the model year of your Macbook ? Using wifi or ethernet for the download ?

Are you old enough to remember dumb terminals connected to main-frames? Do you remember the first Macs? The first IBM PS-1 or PS-2 PCs? Mustang drives? DOS? Windows 3.1, maybe? Commodore 64? If not, you are not old yet - you are just middle-aged!

Got that beat. I punched Hollerith cards in college...

What is the model year of your Macbook ? Using wifi or ethernet for the download ?

All good! I selected the previous version of Catalina and it worked.
Now I've got a different problem.. I'll post it in another thread..

Thank you

maximum 20 mbps
I did that ...
The downloaded InstallESDDmg.pkg was 5.4 gb not 7.7 gb ...so there was an error in download
anyone else with same issue - try using wget in terminal with -c (continue) option. Infos link. This happened to me several times and only this sorted it. You need to be in same folder as partial download when running command, and use the url in gibmacos for your chosen version of macos. wget -c automatically checks existing filesize and carries on downloading the rest, if it stalls again, just re-run until complete!

Back