Contribute
Register

gibMacOS Tutorial ~ How to Download macOS Directly from Apple

I haven't used a windows machine.... since 2003... (Win XP era)... Only linux and MacOS......
Ohhhh my..... I am getting OLD.......Ohhh my........ my first linux installation.... didn' t even had a GUI....
seriously ... I am getting old
Are you old enough to remember dumb terminals connected to main-frames? Do you remember the first Macs? The first IBM PS-1 or PS-2 PCs? Mustang drives? DOS? Windows 3.1, maybe? Commodore 64? If not, you are not old yet - you are just middle-aged!

well ... not mainframes for sure....
But yeah .... i remember Macintosh....
I used DOS for years..... days full of GW-basic fun......
I played games from a cassette on an commodore....... from a 5,25" soft disk on MS DOS... from a 3,3 " disks on win 3.1"

I have spend...... days and days playing NBA Finals 1989

Yessss mate .... I am getting old...

Hello,

I am using the gibMacOS, successfully download the files for 10.15.4, but when running BuildmacOSAppInstall, the process stuck on "- Found Install macOS Catalina.app" after "Mounting BaseSystem.dmg" and "Locating Installer App".

Then, when pressing Ctrl+C, following is the return:
An error occured: (Copy failed, Command not found)

I have tried to redownload the ESD 2 times, but the issue is always the same, stuck in the same position.

I am downloading using Macbook Pro 10.14.15.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

I have tried to redownload the ESD 2 times, but the issue is always the same, stuck in the same position.
Watch the video again. At the 1:55 timestamp you drag and drop (don't use copy/paste) the InstallESDDmg.pkg into the open terminal window. That gives the correct path to find the package for building the macOS Install app. Just follow the video as it shows. Pause it where you need to.

Hello,

I am using the gibMacOS, successfully download the files for 10.15.4, but when running BuildmacOSAppInstall, the process stuck on "- Found Install macOS Catalina.app" after "Mounting BaseSystem.dmg" and "Locating Installer App".

Then, when pressing Ctrl+C, following is the return:
An error occured: (Copy failed, Command not found)

I am downloading using Macbook Pro 10.14.15.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Hi there.

I might be missing something here but as you are using a MacBook running Mojave (?) why not just download Catalina from the App Store and use UniBeast?

Or is your adventure just for experimental purposes?

Watch the video again. At the 1:55 timestamp you drag and drop (don't use copy/paste) the InstallESDDmg.pkg into the open terminal window. That gives the correct path to find the package for building the macOS Install app. Just follow the video as it shows. Pause it where you need to.

Thanks for the reply. I used the drag and drop in both instance just as is shown in the video.

Hi there.

I might be missing something here but as you are using a MacBook running Mojave (?) why not just download Catalina from the App Store and use UniBeast?

Or is your adventure just for experimental purposes?

Hello.

The idea behind is to avoid having (what I think is annoying) notification red dot in software update if I use AppStore.

I dont want to update my MBP to catalina yet, as I have software that is not compatible yet for update.

I realized that this seems like counter-intuitive to use gibMacOS in a MBP with Mojave. Or, maybe there is a way to remove the notification red dot after I download from App Store?

I dont want to update my MBP to catalina yet, as I have software that is not compatible yet for update.
You can download Catalina on the MBP, leave it in applications and then make the USB installer. You don't have to update the MBP to Catalina to do this. If you look at my Unibeast video you'll see how to quit the Catalina installer after it's downloaded. You don't actually run it on your MBP after it's fully downloaded.

Last edited:
You can download Catalina on the MBP, leave it in applications and then make the USB installer. You don't have to update the MBP to Catalina to do this. If you look at my Unibeast video you'll see how to quit the Catalina installer after it's downloaded. You don't actually run it on your MBP after it's fully downloaded.

I tried on my other laptop, a hackintosh running Mojave, and the build install application runs well.

Thanks anyway.

you can move the Install macOS Catalina app out of Applications and use the createinstallmedia method as well
just make sure it moves it not create a shortcut

Back