Contribute
Register

Giacomoleopardo Build - ZOTAC Z77-ITX WiFi - Core i7-3770T - MacMini 6,2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Giacomoleopardo,

I hope you dont mind, but Im in need of help and Ive picked on you, as I see one of your builds looks very similar to my current (and first) hackintosh attempt.
Basically Im confused.com at the moment and I dont mind admitting that alot of the processes involved in getting a hackintosh off the ground are a bit alien to me. Heres where Im at...

Currently, I have Mountain Lion installed on my destination hard drive via Unibeast, but this is the second time Ive been here, as my previous attempt to run Multibeast was an 'Epic fail' that resulted in a grey Apple logo screen with code all over the top of it.
I formatted the drive and started again, but now im "bitten once, twice shy".
According to the TonyMac guide, all I need to do now is compile the DSDT and run Multibeast...right?, but the reason Ive come to you specifically, is that you seem to have a lot more processes going on e.g BIOS patching, kext editing, SSDT scripts, registryexplorer

What confused me in your guide was that step 3 (Mountain Lion installation) came after step 1 which involved using the "desktop" and Terminal. How do you have applications and a desktop, before installing the operating system?? :-S
Do you have any screen shots of whats happening in step 1, because I just cant visualise whats happening here. Its the same for patching the BIOS "using Zotac utility for windows"...are you doing this on a windows machine before hand? Also, what is the "flash utility" that Im putting the patched BIOS into?

Sorry, for all the questions, but unfortunately the TonyMac site doesn't have any Zotac motherboards listed in their DSDT directory, so Its not working out as straight forward as I thought.

Im using the Zotac Z77 Wifi board with OWC Accelsior PCIe SSD hard drive.

Any help would be appreciated

Sonny

Hi Sonny and welcome to this forum!
It seems that you need some basic info about how the hackintosh works.
First of all, I'd add my entire configuration in my signature in order to avoid the questions: what are your system specs? So please post your components (cpu, mobo, ram, video card etc...) so I can get a more clear idea of what to tell you.
That said, assuming you have Zotac Z77 ITX WiFi, you will not find any dsdt in the download section. But don't worry, compiling on your own is not that difficult.
In step #1 I describe bios patch procedure using osx (in tools section it's specified as last item "A working Mac or Hackintosh machine"). If you have UniBeast flash drive I assume you purchased Mountain Lion Installer from Mac App Store, which require a working system with OSX 10.6.6. or later to do that. So from the machine you used to make UniBeast usb, you can patch Zotac bios as well. If you can't do that anymore, PMPatch works in windows environment too. A patched bios allows the osx system to enable proper power management, avoiding sleep issues, slightly wrong cpu power consuming etc... Let's say that we're a step closer to a vanilla system! You can easily install osx even without a patched bios, but NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is required (see EasyBeast installation from Multibeast). As I said, You can do better, patching bios!
I used osx to patch bios, but I used zotac flash utility from windows to flash it. I heard DPCIManager works pretty well to patch and flash bios, but honestly I've never tried it, and it's based on OSX as well.
Oh, BTW, there is no real "epic fail" here, believe me. I know it could sound frustrating most of the times, but keep trying, proceed one step at the time, search and read a lot, ask for help if you need to, there are tons of guys here (more prepared and smarter than me!) that will help you figuring everything out. Don't give up and ask anything you need to know! :thumbup:

Hi Giacomoleopardo,

Thanks for your reply.
My components are as follows...

Zotac Z77 Wifi mobo
OWC 120GB PCIe SSD (where Mountain Lion is installed)
Intel HD4000 (no discrete GPU)
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Sony 5600S Optical Drive
i7 3770S

So, as I understand you, I can create the patched BIOS on another machine and then transfer the file across? (my current main laptop is a MacBook Pro Retina)
Also, as I mentioned, my first attempt at running Multibeast resulted in a machine that didnt load past the Apple logo (grey screen) and had code all over the top of it. Im not entirely sure how to generate the correct .aml file and which check boxes I should be ticking within multibeast. Would using the DSDTSE App be of any use here?

Thanks again for your time

Sonny

Attached here you'll find BIOS.zip
The contents are exactly the same of what you'll find on Zotac web site. The actual bios file named A2291116.bin contained, has the same name but this one is a patched one (I patched right now), and you can flash your bios following the instruction provided from zotac documentation.
As for me here's what I did from my windows partition:

1. Unzip attached file
  2. Put BIOS folder in C: directory
  3. Turned off antivirus and firewall
  4. Run update.bat as Administrator (or afuwin.exe? Don't remember, sorry)
  5. In the new dos window followed instruction to update bios (typing U, C and so on)
  6. Reboot and start to setting bios as explained in post #1/Step#2

Attachments

• BIOS.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 140
Thanks again for your time Giacomoleopardo, but I dont have any Windows partition or machine. How can I apply this .bin file to the BIOS of the hackintosh, when only Mountain Lion is installed there?
Do I "drag" the .bin file into Terminal on the desktop? or is it possible to update the BIOS of the Zotac board from within the BIOS itself?

Kind Regards

Sonny

Thanks again for your time Giacomoleopardo, but I dont have any Windows partition or machine. How can I apply this .bin file to the BIOS of the hackintosh, when only Mountain Lion is installed there?
Do I "drag" the .bin file into Terminal on the desktop? or is it possible to update the BIOS of the Zotac board from within the BIOS itself?

Kind Regards

Sonny
No Terminal involved to flash bios! I used it just to patch. And sadly there is no bios flash feature in bios itself.
You can try with DPCIManager. Follow this steps:
  • download zip file attached
  • unzip the patched bios (A2291116.bin) and put it on desktop and rename it A2291116.rom
  • Download, unzip and open DPCIManager, click to "Misc" and "Flash from" like this
    56820-dpci.png
  • type your password and choose A2291116.bin.

Please note that I've never tried it, maybe it could be useful to take a look at the DPCIManager thread.
I can assure you that the attached bios is patched, and works flawlessly.
BTW: i patched with CodeRush' PMPatch, the same tool DPCIManager uses to patch

Attachments

• patched bios.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator:
So, currently I can only boot into Mountain Lion via my Unibeast USB drive in safe mode, by using the -x command at the boot screen. DPCIManager then wont let me "Flash from" when in Safe mode :crazy:
Is there a workaround for this?...can I get out of Safe mode without rebooting the machine or does DPCIManager have an option that I cant see?

Many Thanks

Well. you could install chimera 2.01 and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from MultiBeast\Drivers & Bootloaders\System\Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.
Once you flash the bios you have to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from S/L/E
EDIT: Replacing with the original one, of course

Hi Giacomoleopardo

Loving the build, I have the same build for the most party (Squeezed into an F1C Evo case and using a Panasonic UJ 265 BD Burner, no discrete graphics). You may have discovered this, but based on your comments on non functionality in Post 1, my display port on the mboard only displays output once the desktop has loaded, which I figure has to do with drivers and not an issue when it boots correctly, only if you want to apply options to Chimera, then I have to switch to HDMI for boot up.

Anyway, my question is, do you have Airplay Mirroring available in 10.8.3? I get it from installing using my USB Key Unibeast with 10.8.1 after applying DSDT edits for wifi and HDMI / Display port audio, Multibeast 5.3.0 with same options(Although I used the Generic USB3 Kext instead of DSDT edits). But once I update through software update to 10.8.3, I get artifacts on my desktop(such as when opeing launchpad or notification centre and DVD player won't load), indicating graphics acceleration is not present (similar to booting in safe mode), and as such, have no Airplay Mirroring option available. Just wondering if you experience/d the same thing?

Cheers, And thanks for the amazing guide. I am really encouraged by your success.

Hi Giacomoleopardo

Loving the build, I have the same build for the most party (Squeezed into an F1C Evo case and using a Panasonic UJ 265 BD Burner, no discrete graphics). You may have discovered this, but based on your comments on non functionality in Post 1, my display port on the mboard only displays output once the desktop has loaded, which I figure has to do with drivers and not an issue when it boots correctly, only if you want to apply options to Chimera, then I have to switch to HDMI for boot up.

Anyway, my question is, do you have Airplay Mirroring available in 10.8.3? I get it from installing using my USB Key Unibeast with 10.8.1 after applying DSDT edits for wifi and HDMI / Display port audio, Multibeast 5.3.0 with same options(Although I used the Generic USB3 Kext instead of DSDT edits). But once I update through software update to 10.8.3, I get artifacts on my desktop(such as when opeing launchpad or notification centre and DVD player won't load), indicating graphics acceleration is not present (similar to booting in safe mode), and as such, have no Airplay Mirroring option available. Just wondering if you experience/d the same thing?

Cheers, And thanks for the amazing guide. I am really encouraged by your success.
Connecting my samsung 1080p monitor via hdmi - minidisplyport adapter works properly from the bios loading, no issue with the miniDP port itself, but only with my 27" Apple Cinema Display (it doesn't work in Windows 7 as well). Toleda report the same issue with a Zotac Z68 mini itx board. Zotac support didn't help.
About mirroring, I actually can't test çause those are the only two monitor I have, so due to the fact the ACD doesn't work at all, I'm not able to find any potential issue about dual display. Next week I'll have a second hdmi monitor, though, so I'm diggin' on it and report results.
I must say that on 10.8.3 everything works properly.
Did you re-edited AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext? Or just installed from a backup? The combo update surely reinstalled the original Capri kext. That may cause artifacts, I'd suggest to re-edit the kext following post #3 instructions or install my actual edited kext attached here.
I'd appreciate if you'll post results.
G.

Attachments

• AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext.zip
    191.9 KB · Views: 96
Tested with two hdmi monitors, both via hdmi ports, or one hdmi and one into Mini Displayport (via mini DP-hdmi adapter) and everything works properly, including, Airplay Mirroring, monitor duplication etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back