Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7
CPU
4gHz Intel Core i7 6700K (OC @ 4.4gHz)
Graphics
GT710 / Intel HD Graphics 530
What cards exist? Hack compatible and cheap.

At the moment I use a GT710 2GB DDR5 so something around that spec. I don't play games or do graphic design so I'm not in need of some crazy spec'd card. The most work it gets is using graphic analyses in Logic X.

The best part about the GT710 is that it is passively cooled. Does a passively cooled 2 x Dual Link DVI-D card exist?

I need to get 2560 x 1600 out of it.

I have onboard graphics with Z170X but for the $50 the GT710 cost me - I thought it was it worth using an egpu to take any strain (probably completely minimal and unnoticeable) off the CPU.

I have a few other options like getting an active DVI-D to Display Port then going from display port to to HDMI with another active adapter.

Thanks

There’s no reason you would need to go from dvi to dp to hdmi.
You can go straight from dvi-d to hdmi with passive adapters. You can also go from hdmi to dvd-d passively.
HDMI and DVI-D share the same signaling. DVI-d is just limited to lower resolutions (bandwidth).

I wish it was that simple.

I have a 30" Apple Cinema Display and the adapters do need to be active to achieve a resolution of 2560x1600.

Even the official Apple mini DP to DVI-D Dual Link adapter is active.

Last edited:
GT 640 / GT 740

I am using this graphic card
GV-N640OC-2GI
Features Dual link Dual Link DVI-D*2

There’s no reason you would need to go from dvi to dp to hdmi.
You can go straight from dvi-d to hdmi with passive adapters. You can also go from hdmi to dvd-d passively.
HDMI and DVI-D share the same signaling. DVI-d is just limited to lower resolutions (bandwidth).

for resolution > 1920 x1200, you still need active adapter

GT 640 / GT 740

I am using this graphic card
GV-N640OC-2GI
Features Dual link Dual Link DVI-D*2

Awesome, thank you kindly.

There is a passively cooled version of this card available - perfect.

Awesome, thank you kindly.

There is a passively cooled version of this card available - perfect.
it is active cooling card, but the fan noise level should not be the problem, very quiet on my system.

Zotac do a fanless one but I can only find one in the states.

I've found the one locally and just offered the guy $15. fingers crossed.

It does say "near silent" on the GB website so I'm hoping it is ok. I currently run an all noctua fan setup that is basically silent.

I'll give it a go with the fan model, thanks for your help @itwas

I should be able to sell the GT710 and it work out costing me nothing. Much better than investing in adapters!

it is active cooling card, but the fan noise level should not be the problem, very quiet on my system.
Btw was this OOB support? Or was it a kext job?

ugh I backflipped it and paid stupid money for the adapters for the main reason - my GT710 works perfectly and I can't risk any issues on that machine. Also the adapters don't seem to go down in value - up if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back