Xeon E3-1275 v2
Graphics
MSI GAMING Radeon RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Installing using the guide provided on this website. Have had previous success installing Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks... but running into a problem trying to install Yosemite.

Specifically, I am getting "Still waiting for root device" over and over.

I've unplugged all of the other hard disks attached to the motherboard and reloaded the BIOS to default except for the necessary changes to get things working.

Strange this is happening. Any ideas?

Have you installed the USB 3.0 extension from MultiBeast? That causes the error, I have the same board. Reinstalling the USB 3.0 driver from MultiBeast 7.0 should fix it, but then you should remove the kext to get USB 3.0 working.

i never had that problem with mine I've got Yosemite running perfect i just installed over Mavericks and it just runs for me no problems what so ever what did you select in Multibeast? also what are your bios settings?

The file "3rdpartysata.kext" in S/L/E gave me that same error. Deleting it solved the problem.

It looks like there was a conflict with my USB hub. After unplugging it from the back and rebooting, the install screen finally came up.

EDIT: On second go around, the problem manifested itself again.

I fixed it by moving the bootable USB stick around and entering in the following flags:

cpus=1 npci=0x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No

Got this today upgrading my "99% up except iMessage" Mavericks Hack. I had to reboot with "-v UseKernelCache=no" and then it booted. Would it just make sense to set Chameleon to boot with UseKernelCache=no say the first five times you boot a new OS X install?

Now all I need is a guide for moving from Chameleon to Clover that I can understand, figure out, and not wreck my Hack and I'll go over to that.

Was actually quite shocked that an upgrade-in-place from 10.9.5 worked flawlessly except for needing to clear the kernel cache. I was seriously like "that's not supposed to happen!" when the Yosemite desktop came up the first time :). Used the guide here, the one that's basically like "make a new USB with Unibeast 5, reboot, don't format, install Yosemite, reboot, install Multibeast."

I have a GA-Z77N-wifi and had the same issue after upgrading to Yosemite.

First, I had the USB drive plugged into USB 3.0 ports, which didn't allow me to boot the USB drive. Once I got that sorted, I was able to upgrade from Unibeast fine. Upon reboot, it rebooted to my standard installation and errored with the circle and slash (whatever that means). I realized I had to boot back to USB to finish the installation, which I did and it booted into Yosemite. I ran Multibeast and upon reboot, I encountered the error again. Upon booting with -x, I observed the same error in that "Still waiting for root device" which never came.

In reading on potential solutions, I booted USB again, finished the installation, upon reboot, encountered the same thing. I then booted Unibeast and removed kernelcaches, to no avail.

I then went into the BIOS and changed UEFI and Legacy for the Boot Options. I changed this to Legacy Only. I was then able to boot just fine. I ran Multibeast again. Just to be sure, rebooted and things were fine.

I went back into BIOS and re-enabled Intel Virtualization setting and UEFI and Legacy options and appear to be able to still boot fine now.

I am not clear on what all the issue was. But my solution was toggling to Legacy Only to complete the boot process and I've since reverted.

Other than no audio, things seem to be working well.

ETA: Audio was simply the Output was set to Digital Out instead of Internal Speakers in System Preferences -> Sound.

I have a GA-Z77N-wifi and had the same issue after upgrading to Yosemite.

First, I had the USB drive plugged into USB 3.0 ports, which didn't allow me to boot the USB drive. Once I got that sorted, I was able to upgrade from Unibeast fine. Upon reboot, it rebooted to my standard installation and errored with the circle and slash (whatever that means). I realized I had to boot back to USB to finish the installation, which I did and it booted into Yosemite. I ran Multibeast and upon reboot, I encountered the error again. Upon booting with -x, I observed the same error in that "Still waiting for root device" which never came.

In reading on potential solutions, I booted USB again, finished the installation, upon reboot, encountered the same thing. I then booted Unibeast and removed kernelcaches, to no avail.

I then went into the BIOS and changed UEFI and Legacy for the Boot Options. I changed this to Legacy Only. I was then able to boot just fine. I ran Multibeast again. Just to be sure, rebooted and things were fine.

I went back into BIOS and re-enabled Intel Virtualization setting and UEFI and Legacy options and appear to be able to still boot fine now.

I am not clear on what all the issue was. But my solution was toggling to Legacy Only to complete the boot process and I've since reverted.

Other than no audio, things seem to be working well.

ETA: Audio was simply the Output was set to Digital Out instead of Internal Speakers in System Preferences -> Sound.

I have a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H and this worked perfectly for me. No idea why either though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back