Contribute
Register

Getting CPU sensors to work in iStat Menus 6 but not using VirtualSMC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME B360M-A
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
RX 580
I updated to Catalina and am trying to get my CPU sensors to display in iStat Menus 6. It has never worked for me, I've always used Intel Power Gadget to get my CPU temps.

Other threads mention using VirtualSMC and it's corresponding plugins to get CPU temperatures but I'm using FakeSMC. Maybe installing "VirtualSMC plugins" and "HWMonitorSMC2 Hardware Monitor Application" in Multibeast will fix it? (see screenshot).
Or will that cause a boot issue since I'm using FakeSMC and not VirtualSMC? In other words will installing the "VirtualSMC plugins" but not "VirtualSMC" cause any issues?

Honestly not having the CPU temps in iStat isn't enough of a problem to risk messing things up so if it's going to cause problems I'll keep using Power Gadget to get temps.
Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 7.25.15 AM.png

will installing the "VirtualSMC plugins" but not "VirtualSMC" cause any issues?
The sensor kexts are plug-ins for VirtualSMC.kext, they will not work without it.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I suppose I could switch to VirtualSMC but I don't want to mess my system up over some sensors not working lol.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I suppose I could switch to VirtualSMC but I don't want to mess my system up over some sensors not working lol.
You could still try. At least VirtualSMC and its plugins work with sensors well. FakeSMC has been abandoned for long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back