i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Take a look at this free app available from Carifred.com. It gives you back control of Windows 10 updates similar to the way it was back in good old Windows 7. If you are using Win10 Home Premium edition this helps you to avoid feature updates that you don't want or are just too buggy to install yet i.e. Windows 2004 feature update that just came out. If you have 10 Pro version of Windows it gives you the option to delay feature updates for 1 year.

I've got it set to normal so I have control over what gets downloaded and installed.

wau_manager.png

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't Windows 10 1909 give you that same type of control?

Doesn't Windows 10 1909 give you that same type of control?
No, it only lets you temporarily "pause" updates for a set amount of time. I have Windows 10 Pro. You can see it gives you just 35 days. WAU manager creates a Group Policy setting that removes that. See the screenshot below that says *Your organization has turned off automatic updates. Windows 10 Home gives you even less control over updates.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture Updates.JPG
    Capture Updates.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 96
Here's the page on Win10Forums https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...ws-update-automatic-updates-windows-10-a.html Option 7 talks about the portable WAU manager app. It's the easiest way to accomplish this. Also works on Windows 10 Home. With that edition you can't set group policies.

WAU Manager (Windows Automatic Updates Manager) is a fully featured replacement for the built in Windows Updating interface. This tool gives you full control of the Windows Updates, such as when and how they are installed, and has full uninstall and maintenance support for Windows updates.

WAU Manager was built to fully replace the built in Windows Automatic Updating (WAU) system. However, unlike the latter, WAU Manger puts you in control of everything. With WAU Manager you can:

1. Update manually when desired with just one click on a dedicated desktop shortcut
2. Update automatically with the desired frequency. Once a day, once a month or once a year, or whatever you decide.
3. You get to choose whether the available updates are automatically downloaded and installed or not.
4. Easily uninstall several updates at once.

Last edited:
Since I rarely use Windows, I've not used it much. An app like WAU mgr. works fine for me. When I do boot into Windows I don't want to have to wait for updates to install and slow me down.
Looks as if it would be better than trying to set group policies by hand. I think I will give it a try.

In my experiments with Windows 10 1809 LTSC, I set Windows Update in the Group Policy Editor to "Disabled", which prevents Windows 10 from searching for and downloading updates at all. It appears to work fine so far. The setting also appears to continue to work for Windows 10 1909 and 2004.

I disabled Windows Update on ALL my Windows machines (Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10 LTSC (experiment)) and prefer to install updates by hand. I don't trust the quality of Windows updates and will delay installing them, for months if necessary, until I am satisfied that they won't cause significant problems.

For those that don't want to use WAU app here's a short video that shows how to get back the option to defer Windows feature updates for up to one year. MS has taken this away even for Windows 10 Pro users that have updated to Ver. 2004.

For those that don't want to use WAU app here's a short video that shows how to get back the option to defer Windows feature updates for up to one year. MS has taken this away even for Windows 10 Pro users that have updated to Ver. 2004.

Thanks for that. Very useful :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back