CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, since 2014 I had a hackintosh machine that was working almost perfectly until High Sierra and APFS came out.
Since then I encountered several disk sudden corruptions of my Samsung 850 Pro SSD, that forced me to restore all data from time machine and redo a fresh OSX install from scratch, every 3-4 months.

I have read that those problems might happen with the killer combo "APFS + Trim enabled".

So I decided to sell my previous hardware and now I am planning to build a newer hackintosh, with updated components.
Since I had so many issues with the drive, I'd like to ask if it would be a good idea to use a genuine apple nvme ssd (such as this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBAWWFL/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 )

I know it can be much more pricey, but it should have the best compatibility with the new file system. Has anyone tried this solution yet?

I recommend you stick with a Samsung 970 EVO or Pro NVMe SSD. I'm running High Sierra and Mojave using the APFS without any problems for a couple of years now. I think you had a bad Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, or it needed a firmware update.

The Apple NVMe SSD is too expensive for what you get.

Thanks Stork, I've been browsing the forums and have already decided to buy a Samsung 970 Pro.
By the way your reply is very important to me, since my first (and successful) build was based on one of your guides!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back