Contribute
Register

General workstation/Sound recording and editing. Mini itx. Xeon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Been reading for days on the various builds using a mini itx h77 gigabyte board. I think I have all of the basics but searching the wiki I came upon a slight issue. I plan to use the Xeon E3-1230 v2 CPU. It's a bit of a bargain as you essentially get i7 performance for i5 price tags. My dilemma as it were is the prevailing wisdom is to use onboard HD4000/HDXXXX to do your install, then drop in your gpu after. The Xeon does NOT have an onboard gpu and as such am not sure how to proceed at this point. All I have ordered is the Bitfenix Prodigy so far, and while the guides have ample CPU's listed I can't find a thing on the Xeon. Thanks for any help in advance.

Totally plan to use a GPU. Probably a gt640 as it fits my needs. I am just concerned about doing the install with only the GT640 as the prevailing wisdom is to use an onboard gpu to minimize conflicts. Thanks.

Oh, the last installs I have done where with GTX560Ti 448 Core and GTX660Ti. Total native support!!!! :thumbup:

I would recommend a card on the new November buying guide. If that GTX640 is on there then you should be okay. If not consider spending a little more and get the GTX650 instead.

I highly recommend you read BoomR's sticky post in the Music forum section (www.tonymacx86.com/music/) and his Golden Build (http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...core-i7-3770k-ga-z77x-up5-th-32gb-hd4000.html) so you don't over build your system. :thumbup:

Thanks. That machine while really nice is way overboard for what I do. If I didn't play a couple games then I wouldn't even spring for the GT640 and would instead just use an i7 and the hd4000. The Xeon is simply a bargain if you don't need or want the HD4000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back