Contribute
Register

General update question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey peeps! Been thinking about building a hackintosh for a while now and the one thing that’s keeping me is the updating process. Whenever apple comes out with new updates for the OS, is it as easy as it in on a regular mac? Like can I just download and install the update from the Mac App Store?? Or is it more complicated than that? Also same thing with Apple apps? I use Logic Pro x for music production. Can I just download the updates from the Mac App Store as well? Thanks!

If you have an update:
App: you can update normal.
OS: maybe waiting for a few weeks/months for Clover and Kext are updated. Then you need to update Clover and Kext before you start updating your OS. After that, you need to verify everything is fine. Else, you should download installer from App Store and re-make an USB boot for re-install your OS.

Hey peeps! Been thinking about building a hackintosh for a while now and the one thing that’s keeping me is the updating process. Whenever apple comes out with new updates for the OS, is it as easy as it in on a regular mac? Like can I just download and install the update from the Mac App Store?? Or is it more complicated than that? Also same thing with Apple apps? I use Logic Pro x for music production. Can I just download the updates from the Mac App Store as well? Thanks!

For most applications, it's the same as a real mac. Just update the application the same way you would do it.

For system update, it's clearly not as smooth as a real mac. Hackintosh are great for a variety of thing, but not for the easiness.
If you want to save you some trouble, the best recommendation I can give you, is to follow the golden builds on this same forum as they are known for their perfect compatibility. You can of course customize disks, memory, case, power supply & cooling, but for motherboard, CPU & GPU you should buy exactly the same references. It will save you from a lot of trouble ;)

For major update, (for example, from High Sierra to mojave), you should wait a few weeks/month that all kexts & software are updated.
For minor update, just wait a few days/weeks and it should be ok. As I said, the closer you are from true mac hardware, the easier it will be to update your system ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back