Contribute
Register

General NVMe Drive Problems (Fatal)

rafale77,
Have you experimented with your OpenCore config.plist/Quirks/ThirdPartyDrives/ Boolean argument to see if there are any boot time differences between "YES" and "NO?" I have read that "YES" implements TRIM on third-party drives. "About this Mac/System Report/Storage" should show you any differences, if there are any.

(Personally, I have downgraded my "Mini-ITX 3" and "Mini-ITX 4" computers from Big Sur (APFS) to Mojave (HFS+) which reduced my two Samsung 970 PRO 1 TB NVMe SSD boot times from 58 seconds to 19 seconds.)

rafale77,
Have you experimented with your OpenCore config.plist/Quirks/ThirdPartyDrives/ Boolean argument to see if there are any boot time differences between "YES" and "NO?" I have read that "YES" implements TRIM on third-party drives. "About this Mac/System Report/Storage" should show you any differences, if there are any.

(Personally, I have downgraded my "Mini-ITX 3" and "Mini-ITX 4" computers from Big Sur (APFS) to Mojave (HFS+) which reduced my two Samsung 970 PRO 1 TB NVMe SSD boot times from 58 seconds to 19 seconds.)
Just tested on both long and short booting drives and it doesn't make any difference in either boot time or the system report. This is all rather puzzling. There are lots of threads on the net about the component swaps going with some drives so it is getting difficult to predict what one will get when buying an SSD and it does make a difference...

Disabling NVMEfix makes no improvement for me with 980 Pro under 12.1. To repeat, I was fine until recent Samsung firmware update.

My total handwaving guess is that Trim semantics changed where it was either deferred or ignored previously, now Trim has to complete. Or maybe there's a synchronous vs async IO option that affects Mac. I haven't read up on the command definitions for Trim lately.

It takes about 5 mins for boot (trim) to chug through about 1.2T free on 2T drive. The drive activity led on the mainboard beats steadily the entire time. Maybe I could test this by allocating a huge file to use 99% off drive and see if boot speeds up.

A little update here as I pulled a stick from an older build with a generic Phison E12 controller and... boot time went down to 20s. So summary for boot time:

SMI 2262G ->34s
SMI 2262ENG -> 59s
Phison E12 -> 21s

@c-o-pr , I just reread the first post of this thread. I have had this Phison E12 drive from Inland for years on a hackintosh granted I think it started quite a few versions back and on a version before APFS and it has been running ok at least for over a year as the boot drive on a machine which was on 24/7. Do you know the specific models and chipset of the drives which failed on you? My E12 actually currently runs cooler than my SMI 2262G which is now being used only for storage. Sabrent I think like many of these brands started changing their drives with updated E12S controllers, less RAM for cache and swapped their flash from Kioxia to Micron. These run with FW version 22.X as apposed to 12.X for the E12. Maybe you got one of those? The Rocket 4 is almost certainly an E16...

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea how to solve this 3rd party NVMe kernel panic issue? Because I'm even trying to do a vanilla install on the new WD Black SN850 NVMe, and the machine restarts.

Running on the verbose mode showed that my system stuck on the following operation:
Code:
Doing boot task: bootroot
What is happengig during that process? I restarted the system the several times and this is only the bottleneck in my case. I'm using 1TB 970 Evo Plus nvme2.
also in this place the delay is using 2 pcs Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB

I am also NOT experiencing the slow boot with Monterey latest. I have 2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500 GB) NVMe's. One has Big Sur and every thing works well. The other Monterey and at a certain point it stops showing purgeable space and dose not seem to reclaim space... example I just move 142GB of files to another disk and delete them off Monterey, yet it dose not reflect in the space available nor dose it show purgeable. Even after a restart. :confused:

EDIT UPDATE: after a short search online, I found an article on forcing purgeable to executed whenever you choose using DaisyDisk. Works just fine! :thumbup: I believe the issue was 'Snapshot" holding up the space.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500g that used to be my boot drive, after updating my system to Monterey it was booting in more than 110 seconds from bios beep to Login Screen, so I replaced it with an old ADATA XPG SX6000NP 120g now booting in 52 seconds in all three trim settings 999, -1 and 4294967295 from bios beep to login screen so I guess its working well, with trimforce enable and trim support: yes in system report...

but it is too small for my needs and causing the PC to freeze on bios splash when I try to multi-boot Linux when paired with the 970 EVO Plus (windows 11 working fine), so the question is

can someone please state which controllers should be avoided and which is working properly and can be future proof?
I'll be grateful if anyone can confirm the following drives are supported, as most of the recommended working drives in the SSD Hall of fame are not available or very expensive where I live:

Crucial P2
HP EX900 or EX900 PRO
Kingston NV1
Kingston A2000
PNY CS1030
Silicon Power P34A60 OR P34A80

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Quick question, I read through most of this thread and didn't see anything about secondary drives causing any issues. Curious if anyone else is having this issue where after a long sleep cycle the computer becomes unresponsive. I've also randomly see it lock up with the same error.

Error: 3rd party NVMe controller. Loss of MMIO space.

I originally had the long boot times, and upgraded my main NVMe drive to a non-samsung unit and that worked great, but the issue seems to be coming from a secondary NVMe drive with Windows installed ( Samsung unit ).

OC version 0.7.7

It's maybe *not* this simple. Some manufacturers were caught substituting the build of the devices.
So when you buy a particular product, it might not be what you think it is.
They were caught supplying top spec'd devices for the initial launch & then for a few months.
Then after that, they substituted sub standard parts...

I think I saw something on Linus, but i have previously see it out in Asia.
You can see a >20% decline on the NVMe due to the controller chip leveling bogging down the controller CPU after it's been run in.

Back