Contribute
Register

General NVMe Drive Problems (Fatal)

I have Monterey installed on a WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe
We've now added this drive to the Buyer's Guide SSD section. All the Samsung NVMe drives (960/970 Evo/Pro) have now been removed. It doesn't make sense for any hackintosh owner to use them as a boot drive. The slow boot times and potential early failure without TRIM enabled is what prompted this change.

SSD buyers should also note that we won't be recommending any PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives either. Too many question marks remain for those.

Last edited:
As a followup to the tests I ran on my "Mini-ITX 4" computer in post #23 above, I decided to check my Samsung 970 PRO's boot times in my "Mini-ITX 3" computer to see if the same TRIM boot problem occurs running High Sierra 10.13.6 using OpenCore 0.7.5. Result is below:

SSD: NVMe, Samsung 970 PRO 1 TB
Mobo: Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI with i7 8700 CPU
MacOS: High Sierra 10.13.6
"4294967295": 22, 18, 20 secs from beginning AMI display to desktop

So the "broken TRIM implementation" on the Samsung 970 PRO is not apparent running under MacOS 10.13.6, at least in "Mini-ITX 3." Bad in MacOS 11.6.1, good in MacOS 10.13.6. FWIW.
As I understand it, excessive or heavy use of the drive (over an indeterminate time) can trigger the bug; a lot of reading and writing. So, it might not necessarily be apparent in all scenarios. That said, I've not seen any reports of the issue manifesting in Big Sur, and below.

Monterey killed a 970 plus and a 980 pro for me. 980 pro died within a week or so. Currently booting using a SATA SSD until I get drive replacements.

Reading data off of the 980 pro is almost impossible, read speeds are extremely slow. Time machine SSD drive that was made off of the 980 pro is also dead (4TB Sandisk Ultra III, worked for a long time with no issues, now it can't even be formatted in macOS)
What did Samsung have to say, if anything, when you returned those drives? (Assuming you returned them under warranty). Just curious.

We've now added this drive to the Buyer's Guide SSD section. All the Samsung NVMe drives (960/970 Evo/Pro) have now been removed. It doesn't make sense for any hackintosh owner to use them as a boot drive. The slow boot times and potential early failure without TRIM enabled is what prompted this change.

SSD buyers should also note that we won't be recommending any PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives either. Too many question marks remain for those.
You should sticky this (or whatever the forum equivalent is).

For comparison, I have Monterey installed on a WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe. Boot from cold to OC picker 15 seconds. From picker to log in, 14 seconds.

I first got an SN750 for my laptop more than a year ago and was so impressed with it that I decided to replace my Samsung 970 EVO in my desktop because I felt it was snappier. This turned out to be blessing as I never had to experience this Samsung + Monterey issue.

Based on the results I related in post #39, I'm not convinced there is anything wrong with the Samsung 970 PRO other than an incompatibility between it and MacOS 11.6.x and probably MacOS 12.x.x. If Apple has done something that invalidates usage of this SSD in its latest versions of MacOS, that's on Apple, not Samsung. The 970 PRO in my computer running High Sierra finishes TRIM in 22 seconds, using APFSTrimTimeout set to 4294967295 ("TRIM is enabled and runs as long as needed"). If it can do that in High Sierra, IMHO it is a good SSD... YMMV.

You should sticky this (or whatever the forum equivalent is).
Just go to the top of any page, click on Buyer's Guide then the SSD link.
Screen Shot 8.jpg

Screen_Shot_9.jpg

I really meant a dedicated post of some kind
I've added one at the top (stickied) to the Monterey Desktop Guides forum. Hopefully those installing Monterey on a new system they are buying will see that post.

Based on the results I related in post #39, I'm not convinced there is anything wrong with the Samsung 970 PRO other than an incompatibility between it and MacOS 11.6.x and probably MacOS 12.x.x. If Apple has done something that invalidates usage of this SSD in its latest versions of MacOS, that's on Apple, not Samsung. The 970 PRO in my computer running High Sierra finishes TRIM in 22 seconds, using APFSTrimTimeout set to 4294967295 ("TRIM is enabled and runs as long as needed"). If it can do that in High Sierra, IMHO it is a good SSD... YMMV.
  • The bug.
  • Quoted from the dortania bugtracker: "... our discovery of a severe bug in the TRIM implementation of practically all Samsung SSDs ..."
  • Working with TRIM broken (can be used with TRIM disabled, at slower boot times, or as a data storage): Samsung 970 Evo/Pro
  • This post from trs96.
I do understand not wanting to replace those drives. The hassle, the principle, and so many other reasons, but...

What more do you need, blessing from the Pope? :banghead: :)

Back