Contribute
Register

General NVMe Drive Problems (Fatal)

I went for new gen4 SK Hynix P41 instead of SN850 and it's so far been great
Prospective buyers should note that this is SK Hynix P41 Platinum.
Having bought Intel's SSD business, SK Hynix now brands its storage as "Solidigm" and has a P41 Plus drive which:
—Is not the same as the P41 Platinum;
—May or may not work with macOS (untested);
—And in any case will not perform the same as the P41 Platinum ("Plus" is a value QLC drive).

With my current build I installed on Kingston KC2500 2TB and had weird corruption/crashes, reinstalled several times and it kept happening.

Bought a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 Plus 4TB to replace it and have had zero issues since. I also repurposed the KC2500 as my Windows "bootcamp" drive and it has been flawless running windows.

With my current build I installed on Kingston KC2500 2TB and had weird corruption/crashes, reinstalled several times and it kept happening.

Bought a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 Plus 4TB to replace it and have had zero issues since. I also repurposed the KC2500 as my Windows "bootcamp" drive and it has been flawless running windows.
Would you explain a bit more about the corruption, what conditions seemed to give rise to the failure?

Here are some questions to give you an idea of what might be relevant, but it can be anything you noticed as the problem played out

• How did the corruption / failure appear?
• Did you see problems right away at install, or did it take a while?
• How did you install?
• Did doing something in particular aggravate the failure? Like creating or deleting APFS snapshots?
• Did you use the drive via an ext enclosure? Which one? Did it work normally?
• Did you try another of the same model before switching?
• Quick system summary—What macOS version? What board plus BIOS version? Are you using NVMe fix? What version?

Any other thoughts; patterns you noticed

Thx

• How did the corruption / failure appear?
First time it happened all files on the drive had corrupted permissions, like folders with no read, or system files with write but no execute.
Second time the configuration for a bunch of apps and MacOS itself got corrupted and trying to delete the files failed.
Third time I just lost a bunch of work files after the machine had reset itself when left on over night.
Fourth time it corrupted my MEGASync folder luckily it was unable to sync the corrupted files.
• Did you see problems right away at install, or did it take a while?
Always took some time after install.
• How did you install?
Fresh install from Monterey 12.4 / 12.5 USB disk created with apple tools. Only work/user data restored from backup, not config etc.
• Did doing something in particular aggravate the failure? Like creating or deleting APFS snapshots?
I can't pin point the time of failures but I feel like it happened overnight as in when the machine was idle.
• Did you use the drive via an ext enclosure? Which one? Did it work normally?
Internal on primary M.2 slot
• Did you try another of the same model before switching?
No, was not available and the drive wasn't actually failing. It worked fine in Linux/Windows.
• Quick system summary—What macOS version? What board plus BIOS version? Are you using NVMe fix? What version?
Monterey 12.4 -> 12.5, Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 V2 Bios F3A, NVMEFix v1.1.0
Any other thoughts; patterns you noticed
I at first thought it was bad Ram, I ran pretty much every test you can and never had any faults, after the 4th reinstall I couldn't keep trouble shooting as I use this machine for work and was worries that my backups would eventually get corrupted so just swapped out for the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus.
I have had absolutely zero issues since, the Sabrent drive runs a little hotter (peaks at ~50 degC under load, compared with ~45 degC for the Kingston) and have experienced zero issues since.

My story: after upgrading to Ventura from working Monterey, my M.2 NVMe SSD cant be used for booting macOS on that drive. I have another SSD with OpenCore and Ventura installed and that works. Same OpenCore configs.
When I boot from NVMe, it stays on this screen.

Attachments

• A67B3C3B-5BED-4F63-BAF5-0D626DE9DE9C.jpeg
    A67B3C3B-5BED-4F63-BAF5-0D626DE9DE9C.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 52
My story: after upgrading to Ventura from working Monterey, my M.2 NVMe SSD cant be used for booting macOS on that drive. I have another SSD with OpenCore and Ventura installed and that works. Same OpenCore configs.
When I boot from NVMe, it stays on this screen.
Could you share which SSDs you are using?

Ugh .. Out of the blue I'm now getting NVMe panics again on my SN750 2TB with "3rd party NVMe controller. Loss of MMIO space." as the identified problem..

Anyone have any latest thoughts?

Re-install everything and hope?

Last edited:
Same error, but I doubt that this error message has anything todo with the drive. I think it is something else.

Same error, but I doubt that this error message has anything todo with the drive. I think it is something else.

Such as? Like a hardware fault of some kind?
Setting/conflict with macOS as updates come/go and OpenCore updates along the way?

I just can't figure out how this keeps coming and going so much.

Exact same hardware/build for a several years here (save for dGPU at times upgrading) and I've had full year long periods of perfect stability -- and then times, like this last week, where it's a crash/freeze festival of "awful"

Back