Contribute
Register

General NVMe Drive Problems (Fatal)

Running on the verbose mode showed that my system stuck on the following operation:
Code:
Doing boot task: bootroot
What is happengig during that process? I restarted the system the several times and this is only the bottleneck in my case. I'm using 1TB 970 Evo Plus nvme2.
Have you tried to update the firmware of the 970 Evo Plus?

Still on Big Sur here, hesitant to go to Monterey because my computer at left has only two Samsung NVMe M.2 1 TB 970 Pro SSDs (no SATA drives). But Samsung has written that the 970 Pro has a "Samsung Phoenix" controller. Does anyone know if this is a Phison controller, or something different?

Still on Big Sur here, hesitant to go to Monterey because my computer at left has only two Samsung NVMe M.2 1 TB 970 Pro SSDs (no SATA drives). But Samsung has written that the 970 Pro has a "Samsung Phoenix" controller. Does anyone know if this is a Phison controller, or something different?
Same here, I have my MacOS on a Samsung EVO 970 NVMe. Boot is super fast for Big Sur, so I'm hesitant to go to Monterey (plus bluetooth, I just use a dongle that works great at the moment). The 970, 970 Plus, and 970 Pro are all Phoenix-based. I do have a WD Black that I use for storage, larger capacity than my EVO, so I'm hesitant to swap the two (not even sure how I would go about that).

Samsund 970 Evo 1tb here. 200 gb free space.
Upgraded to Monterey last week.
Big sur Boot time: 30 secs, Monterey 150-200 secs.
Formatted the drive, Monterey Boot time: 30 secs.
Then restored my user from Time Machine Backup, now boot time ise 150-200 seconds.

Lastly, I've used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the Samsung to Kingston A2000 1tb.
Monterey Boot time 20 seconds.

It is not a Monterey-only issue. If yours is fine for Big Sur, it will be still okay for Monterey.

Same here, I have my MacOS on a Samsung EVO 970 NVMe. Boot is super fast for Big Sur, so I'm hesitant to go to Monterey (plus bluetooth, I just use a dongle that works great at the moment). The 970, 970 Plus, and 970 Pro are all Phoenix-based. I do have a WD Black that I use for storage, larger capacity than my EVO, so I'm hesitant to swap the two (not even sure how I would go about that).
The Western Digital Black NVMe's (SN950 for example) are apparently unaffected by the issue, from what I've been reading. Using your WD Black as the boot drive is likely a good idea. Surely there's a post or two about moving your installation to another disk, somewhere in the forum.

I have Samsung NVME 970 Evo Plus and its clearly that the boot time is longer than the normal Sata SSD.
I made test speed under Big Sur and results are ok 3GB read/write.
Firmware version 2B2QEXM7
Trim enabled by default without any 3rd party software.

I have Samsung NVME 970 Evo Plus and its clearly that the boot time is longer than the normal Sata SSD.
I made test speed under Big Sur and results are ok 3GB read/write.
Firmware version 2B2QEXM7
Trim enabled by default without any 3rd party software.
If setting to 4294967295 is significantly longer, Trim should be broken.

I've tried SetApfsTrimTimeout , -1,999,4294967295 , all of them are about 150-200 seconds on Samsung Evo 970.
Cloned Kingston A2000 is 20 seconds.

It is not a Monterey-only issue. If yours is fine for Big Sur, it will be still okay for Monterey.
This comment seems to contradict other posts here. I'm concerned with both the TRIM function and long boot times on Monterey, which seem to be related. On Big Sur 11.6.1, System Report says "Trim support: Yes" for both my 970 Pro SSDs. Boot time is 42 seconds from off, 50 secs from Restart. What will happen under Monterey?

Back