Contribute
Register

General NVMe Drive Problems (Fatal)

That's good then. In post #137 you stated boot times were still too long.

Sounds like you are where you need to be now.:thumbup:
Sorry, I confused you. Boot times are still too long. In the previous message, I posted 'Expected result', but not actual.

Sorry, I confused you.

Easy to do. :D

Yes, the trim disabling is one method that supposedly helps speed up boot times on Monterey with the Samsung SSDs. Clearly from your experience this did not help.

So far no one has discovered any other solution to the problem. I can understand your annoyance at having bought a nice, fast SSD and it is causing issues with Monterey. Perhaps you run Windows too where everything is fine?

Sadly there is no ready-made cures as yet. One may come.

Perhaps step back to Big Sur?

Easy to do. :D

Yes, the trim disabling is one method that supposedly helps speed up boot times on Monterey with the Samsung SSDs. Clearly from your experience this did not help.

So far no one has discovered any other solution to the problem. I can understand your annoyance at having bought a nice, fast SSD and it is causing issues with Monterey. Perhaps you run Windows too where everything is fine?

Sadly there is no ready-made cures as yet. One may come.

Perhaps step back to Big Sur?
Well, as a temporary solution I can do a clean install of Monterey. I've already done that and the boot times very fast on the new OS copy. But other guys said, that it was temporary and the boot time would be increased during the usage.. Anyway, I'm awaiting of new Monterey release (after the current 12.0.1) to do one more clean install. Hope is weak, but suddenly something will change regarding the SSD drivers from the Apple side.
As for BigSur. Yeah, one more possible way. But I'm afraid the new upcoming Xcode versions will be not compatible with BS like the current one doesn't compatible with Catalina. To tell the truth, Catalina is the most stable version for my configuration, but the software compatibility makes me update to newer OSx versions.

1. Remove the old drive, and shutdown your system.
  2. Boot to BIOS, and make sure your WD drive is detected.
  3. If not, shutdown, and check/replace the respective cables.
  4. Boot to BIOS, and select the WD as default boot drive.
  5. Reboot.
Cheers.
Hey, thanks for the reply. So my new drive came, I installed in my 3rd M.2 NVMe slot on my Aorus Ultra Z390. Initialized / Formatted with APFS, GUID Partition, then copied my EFI folder and used CarbonCopy to copy my boot drive. Took out the Samsung boot drive, restarted, selected the SN750, and in the OpenCore picker, I still do not see an option for the SN750. Is it possible I need to change my config file for OpenCore to look for that particular drive (or maybe which NVMe slot to look for)?

Moreover, according to same article, Apple's NVMe driver is known to be fatal for Phison based drive brands due to workloads that can cause the drive to overload and fail losing all data, which I have seen myself!

I'm confused. So if Apple's NVMe driver is bad for Phison based drives, then why does Dortania say the following in the link below:

"This is due to the Phoenix controller found on Samsung drives that macOS isn't too fond of, much preferring the Phison controller found in Sabrent Rocket drives and Western Digital's in-house controllers(WD SN750)."

Storage Anti-Hackintosh Bueyers Guide

I must be missing something here.

Does someone know if WD Black SN850 drives are also okay or?

So if Apple's NVMe driver is bad for Phison based drives
There are many different Phison controllers used in various NVMe SSDs. One person has reported a problem with one Phison controller. That doesn't mean they are all problematic. We've had many reports of problems with most all Samsung NVMe SSDs and Monterey, so much so that we removed them all from the current Buyer's Guide SSD section. The problems appear to stem from the interaction with the Phoenix controller's TRIM implementation and the APFS file system that all Macs since Mojave have used.

Some people are using these on new Z690 boards with PCIe 4.0 and haven't reported any problems.

Last edited:
I'm confused. So if Apple's NVMe driver is bad for Phison based drives, then why does Dortania say the following in the link below:

"This is due to the Phoenix controller found on Samsung drives that macOS isn't too fond of, much preferring the Phison controller found in Sabrent Rocket drives and Western Digital's in-house controllers(WD SN750)."

Storage Anti-Hackintosh Bueyers Guide

I must be missing something here.

I'm sympathetic to your confusion.

In the comments at Dortania, a user reports a specific Phison generation is affected, contrary to the claim you quote. Someone once wrote Phison E12, but don't hold me to that.

I started this thread after I lost two brand new Sabrents doing a 10th gen z590 Big Sur build. They completely died with a thermal runaway condition. Then reports came up about 970 and Trim delays. So I figured this topic should have its own thread. Unfortunately, not much is known about why/how in either case.

In case of my Sabrents, was it something about NVMe power mgmt? Overclocking? MacOS edge case? Bad lot of drives or controller defect? Workload edge case? There's no way to get to the bottom of it.

I am have been using a 980 Pro and WD SN750 under Big Sur and Monterey with no problems. I used a 970 Plus under Big Sur with no problems, but never tried it with Monterey.

Fair warning, I did have to RMA the 980 due to file corruption and SMART media errors, but the replacement has been good for a month and no stall at Trim during boot.

I have been using a 250GB Samsung NVMe 970 EVO since 2018 and till Big Sur there was no apparent problems it shows 99% life remaining. Boot time on average is 20 seconds with full trim time. Many Monterey delay occurred due to Bluetooth changes. I am happy with Big Sur and not going to upgrade till some proper clarity and solution.

According to me people are still using Hackintosh is due to the fact that on M1 variant there is no proper support for Windows and Linux else people will switch to Apple M1 machine as it is technically and performance wise better than any Intel based Hackintosh in the same price range.

I have been using a 250GB Samsung NVMe 970 EVO since 2018 and till Big Sur there was no apparent problems it shows 99% life remaining. Boot time on average is 20 seconds with full trim time. Many Monterey delay occurred due to Bluetooth changes. I am happy with Big Sur and not going to upgrade till some proper clarity and solution.

According to me people are still using Hackintosh is due to the fact that on M1 variant there is no proper support for Windows and Linux else people will switch to Apple M1 machine as it is technically and performance wise better than any Intel based Hackintosh in the same price range.
Show me M1 options at least with 32GB RAM. Also, my pain is software development. It is very hard to run some dev tools, not for native iOS/MacOS projects using M1 processor..

Did anyone install Monterey 12.1 beta? Are there any changes around SSD?

Back