Contribute
Register

General NVMe Drive Problems (Fatal)

A user on first page stated that formatting the Samsung M2 drive from scratch (they mentioned DiskPart on windows) before clean installing Monterey resolved the boot time issue. Can someone else confirm this? I will try myself but cannot do it before a week or two (a work in progress I have to end before!)

I don't think that's a "fix".

My guess is that if there's nothing to Trim, the Trim operation will be super fast... As you use the system more and there's more data for the Trim operation to do, your boot times will increase.

Can you enlight me on what you mean by completely new GUID pt ? I was planing on reformat with DiskPart under Windows to get an empty disk, then with a bootable USB installer to format this empty disk into APFS and fresh install macOS 12. Do you think there is another thing to do?
I was suggesting you remove all partitions and start with a clean slate (by creating a new partition table) and later boot with the installer, letting macOS do a complete reinstallation of all needed partitions.

DiskPart will allow you to create a new GUID partition table as part of the process.

I don't think that's a "fix".

My guess is that if there's nothing to Trim, the Trim operation will be super fast... As you use the system more and there's more data for the Trim operation to do, your boot times will increase.
Oh I got it, makes sense... I may just swap with my Windows SSD then...

I will try it anyway as soon as I can and will eventually post here what result I got. option but I’m kind of short right now

Have you tried disabling Trim?
(per recent post)

Does it help?

I ask to find out if it can help... I don't have the prob myself so can't test.

Have you tried disabling Trim?
(per recent post)

Does it help?

I ask to find out if it can help... I don't have the prob myself so can't test.
I am currently with "-1" value set for SetApfsTrimTimeout. But it didn't change a thing. Do you think I should try any other value to see if it changes?

My thought was to try disabling Trim using Apple's bulletin trimforce command... I dunno what these timeout quirk settings are about, so would stop Trim at the source, if possible

...I am not an expert on this particular problem.

I started this thread in hopes of raising visibility of looming NVMe issues that are not well understood.

For all I know the delay might turn out to not even be about Trim!

I tried but no luck. As it is an NVMe drive, I read elsewhere that those are not able to disable TRIM. This command *would* only work on SATA drives. And even with trimforce disable, my drive was still displaying a "yes" as trim support.

Edit : thanks you anyway for your help. I will try to format from scratch the disk at some point and will report. If any improvement after refilling the disk with data, I will move my boot partition to another SATA SSD I got and will use the SAMSUNG NVME for speed data use in video editing and this will be it. Joy of hackintosh I guess. Two years ago it was about Nvidia graphic cards not being usable after updating to Mojave. Had to buy an AMD instead. What will it be next? Corsair water-cooling? ;)

You might also try
trimforce --enable
just for grins as well, as it could be that one hand of macOS doesn't know what other is doing re 3prty drives and is working against itself

Back