i7 / 4790
Graphics
EVGA Titan X
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Guys, it has been 6 months and haven't got any problem with my configuration. Now, I wanted to address some questions as I work with professional video and since working in Davinci Resolve with 4k red camera RAW footage i found a bit of problem with the GPU while processing/rendering/exporting, obviously I am using a GTX 760 which is 4gb memory and what Blackmagik recommends is a minimum of 8gb GPU... So, researching I found new pascal tech for gpu engine doesn't have drivers for our hackintosh world yet.. So, my question is if the Gigabyte GeForce GTX Titan X (maxwell technology) will work with my system?? Anyone could advise before I purchase it? Or, anyone using this GPU model successfully in your hackpro??

Any help is really appreciated... Thanks to all in advanced!!

The Titan X will indeed work in OS X (Yosemite >) with the additional nvidia drivers. There is a 12GB EVGA listed in the buyers guide, but a 6GB Gigabyte version should also be just fine.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/august/2016#Graphics_Cards

There is also a dedicated video section for video users:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/video.23/

Thank you Adrian, I didn't know there was a part of the forum dedicated to video... That's awesome.

When you said Titan X will work in Yosemite >, you mean will it work in newer OS versions like El Capitan?

Yes, Yosemite was the first version of OS X to support the Maxwell cards with the additional nVidia drivers. :thumbup:

Cool :clap:

But since I want to keep the Gigabyte 760 for UI and use a 12/8 GB GPU I have found most of them out of stock or discontinued in most webs sites... That's weird though it makes sense if Pascal tech is already here!

I was thinking to combine the Gigabyte 760 and the EVGA 980 (which I found available to purchase)... Sorry about my poor knowledge as I started a while a go hackintoshing but... Is it possible to combine two different GPU brands?

And, when I click in the Gigabyte GTX 980Ti from Tony's list it comes up the full description of the GPU and, it is for gaming... Is it ok to use a gaming to process video? I mean I will not use it for gaming just for professional video processing :rolleyes:

Cool :clap:

But since I want to keep the Gigabyte 760 for UI and use a 12/8 GB GPU I have found most of them out of stock or discontinued in most webs sites... That's weird though it makes sense if Pascal tech is already here!

I was thinking to combine the Gigabyte 760 and the EVGA 980 (which I found available to purchase)... Sorry about my poor knowledge as I started a while a go hackintoshing but... Is it possible to combine two different GPU brands?

And, when I click in the Gigabyte GTX 980Ti from Tony's list it comes up the full description of the GPU and, it is for gaming... Is it ok to use a gaming to process video? I mean I will not use it for gaming just for professional video processing :rolleyes:
NVIDIA /may/ release drivers with pascal support for macOS 10.12 as soon as next week (Apple has a keynote on the 7th). I have nothing that shows they will as the beta drivers does not include support, but if I were you I would wait until macOS 10.12 is released unless you can get your hands on a dirt cheap 980ti as Pascal are way more powerful than Maxwell.

Also don't get confused by the "gamer" tag on GPUs, the 980ti and Titan X are pretty much the same card. A "gamer" GPU will work just as well for GPGPU as a "workstation" (I.e. Titan) (they would of course need to have the same specs) some of the "gamer" cards may even be better with custom cooling solutions and factory overclocks.

But the nVidia 1000 series will only be supported from Sierra. There will not be support for El Capitan for the new 1000 series cards which is the version of OS X that that the OP wishes to run.

NVIDIA /may/ release drivers with pascal support for macOS 10.12 as soon as next week (Apple has a keynote on the 7th). I have nothing that shows they will as the beta drivers does not include support, but if I were you I would wait until macOS 10.12 is released unless you can get your hands on a dirt cheap 980ti as Pascal are way more powerful than Maxwell.

Also don't get confused by the "gamer" tag on GPUs, the 980ti and Titan X are pretty much the same card. A "gamer" GPU will work just as well for GPGPU as a "workstation" (I.e. Titan) (they would of course need to have the same specs) some of the "gamer" cards may even be better with custom cooling solutions and factory overclocks.

Thank you CNRD, I am not a big fan of updating systems at first. I usually wait until 3/4 OS updates and checking that similar user as me have been working in a stable system with same applications and components so it can take months until I decide to go to Sierra.. Also, Apple is not that good at first OS release specially for video professionals.

I will post some news that came up today to follow the topic... in 10 minutes :headbang:

The principle function of most users of these cards will be gaming, you can use these cards to surf the web and edit video as well. ;)
There is no issue in using two different brand of cards, but you should determine that your PSU will handle running both simultaneously.
http://powersupplycalculator.net/

Thanks Adrain for your tips... I will post again to tell some news that came up today and will love you to read so I can continue with the topic... in 10 minutes :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back