Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
The news are that I found a unboxed and cheap EVGA Titan X from a seller who lives couple of blocks from me... Maybe luck? :clap:

So, I am quite going to give it a try. After running the power supply calculator suggested by Adrian I still have 50W left adding the Titan X + keeping the GTX 760.

I also have the last Nvidia Web drivers version so, I guess I just have to add the Titan X and they both will work? or, should I go into clover, add some kexts?

Doing some research I read that it is conveninet to update the specs of the Mac Pro to 5.1 while my configuration shows a Mac Pro 3.1... would it be a problem to leave it like it is now?

Also I read that to use two GPUs at the same time you have to do something in the sert up of the system... What is it? Is any of you have a guide on how to set up both of them properly?

I will use the GTX 760 as UI and Titan X for video processing in Davinci Resolve... that's my idea... Any help will be wonderful as I don/t think I will be able to return the Titan X once purchased and I don't want to lose money trying this nbew move.

I really appreciate your help it is amazing to find people supporting others in this forum and the more I get into hackintoshing the more I like :headbang:

Thanks in advanced guys!!

The news are that I found a unboxed and cheap EVGA Titan X from a seller who lives couple of blocks from me... Maybe luck? :clap:

Perfect timing.

So, I am quite going to give it a try. After running the power supply calculator suggested by Adrian I still have 50W left adding the Titan X + keeping the GTX 760.

Only 50w of spare capacity of the PSU when running a system hard isn't going to give you much headroom or allowance for power spikes. It is a bit tight so I recommend some caution on such a slim margin.

I also have the last Nvidia Web drivers version so, I guess I just have to add the Titan X and they both will work? or, should I go into clover, add some kexts?

As long as you are not using any additional custom DSDT or

Doing some research I read that it is conveninet to update the specs of the Mac Pro to 5.1 while my configuration shows a Mac Pro 3.1... would it be a problem to leave it like it is now?

Try Mac pro 3,1 as a starting point, iMac 14,2 may also work well. To use Mac Pro 5,1 will require some additional steps to prevent kernel panic as this definition expects your hardware to have ECC RAM - when OS X figure out that you don't it will crash.

Also I read that to use two GPUs at the same time you have to do something in the sert up of the system... What is it? Is any of you have a guide on how to set up both of them properly?

It really should just be as simple as connecting everything up and booting into OS X.

I will use the GTX 760 as UI and Titan X for video processing in Davinci Resolve... that's my idea... Any help will be wonderful as I don/t think I will be able to return the Titan X once purchased and I don't want to lose money trying this nbew move.

I think that you should just set it up and see how you get on.:thumbup:

Perfect timing.

Only 50w of spare capacity of the PSU when running a system hard isn't going to give you much headroom or allowance for power spikes. It is a bit tight so I recommend some caution on such a slim margin.

As long as you are not using any additional custom DSDT or

Try Mac pro 3,1 as a starting point, iMac 14,2 may also work well. To use Mac Pro 5,1 will require some additional steps to prevent kernel panic as this definition expects your hardware to have ECC RAM - when OS X figure out that you don't it will crash.

It really should just be as simple as connecting everything up and booting into OS X.

I think that you should just set it up and see how you get on.:thumbup:

Great Adrian... you are a master!! I'm gonna do it then... I will go tmw to get the Titan X and will start simply by plugin both of them with the actual config and see what happen.

If it works and I see some lack of power supply, I can always upgrade the PS and increase the power easily, right?

One thing that you caught me is about the DSDT... I have no idea what is that :eek:
I did search and, now I have some idea about it but I don-t know if I have some additional DSDT in my computer or if I added some without not knowing. I remember when I set up everything with multibeast, audio and ethernet didn-t work but instead of install them using multibeast, kextes, etc I simply installed them with the original drivers of the sound card and the ethernet and they worked. So, Adrian, how can I know if I have some additional DSDT a part of what is needed for the intended update that I want to achieve adding the Titan X?

Million thanks again!!

Ups, BTW here attached my power supply calculator screenshot... maybe I wasn't that accurate defining the system and couldn't add the Blackmagic
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 03.10.56.png

Last edited:
Great Adrian... you are a master!! I'm gonna do it then... I will go tmw to get the Titan X and will start simply by plugin both of them with the actual config and see what happen.

If it works and I see some lack of power supply, I can always upgrade the PS and increase the power easily, right?

One thing that you caught me is about the DSDT... I have no idea what is that :eek:
I did search and, now I have some idea about it but I don-t know if I have some additional DSDT in my computer or if I added some without not knowing. I remember when I set up everything with multibeast, audio and ethernet didn-t work but instead of install them using multibeast, kextes, etc I simply installed them with the original drivers of the sound card and the ethernet and they worked. So, Adrian, how can I know if I have some additional DSDT a part of what is needed for the intended update that I want to achieve adding the Titan X?

Million thanks again!!

Ups, BTW here attached my power supply calculator screenshot... maybe I wasn't that accurate defining the system and couldn't add the Blackmagic View attachment 208992
Adrian can probably give a better explanation of DSDT than I can right now (too tired), but unless you have a file called "DSDT.aml" in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched or some SSDT.aml related to graphics you should be good to go.

Just try plugging it in and see if it works, if it does then great! If not then we need to figure out what to change to make it work :) there should be no problem at all getting both GPUs detected and running.

About the power, the worst thing that will probably happen is the system crashing if you push it too hard against the power limit of the PSU (the PSU should cut off if too much power is drawn, if it's a quality PSU and not some no name Chinese PSU), so it should be as simple as buying a more powerful PSU. Also keep in mind that the power draw only gets near the TDP (max power draw) whenever the GPU/CPU is working, so if you are only using the titan X for rendering (sorry if that is wrong I'm not a video guy) and not both GPUs then the 760 shouldn't be drawing anywhere near the TDP giving you some headroom.

You will know if you created a DSDT for your build as you would remember doing this. Try plugging everything in and see how you get on.
If your fans spin up loudly,then its a sign that you may need to have better case ventilation/CPU cooling and/or an upgraded PSU. See how you get on - you can make further changes if they are required.

Sorry... post at the end of the threat

Last edited:
You will know if you created a DSDT for your build as you would remember doing this. Try plugging everything in and see how you get on.
If your fans spin up loudly,then its a sign that you may need to have better case ventilation/CPU cooling and/or an upgraded PSU. See how you get on - you can make further changes if they are required.

Thank youuu... comments in my next post at below :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Adrian can probably give a better explanation of DSDT than I can right now (too tired), but unless you have a file called "DSDT.aml" in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched or some SSDT.aml related to graphics you should be good to go.

Just try plugging it in and see if it works, if it does then great! If not then we need to figure out what to change to make it work :) there should be no problem at all getting both GPUs detected and running.

About the power, the worst thing that will probably happen is the system crashing if you push it too hard against the power limit of the PSU (the PSU should cut off if too much power is drawn, if it's a quality PSU and not some no name Chinese PSU), so it should be as simple as buying a more powerful PSU. Also keep in mind that the power draw only gets near the TDP (max power draw) whenever the GPU/CPU is working, so if you are only using the titan X for rendering (sorry if that is wrong I'm not a video guy) and not both GPUs then the 760 shouldn't be drawing anywhere near the TDP giving you some headroom.

Thank youuu... comments in my next post at below :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Awesome guys and gracias :clap:, I will try everything and let you know!!

One note, my machine when I stressed it out... in Davinci using Neat Video noise reduction plugin and in combination with 3rd party OFX plugins it did shut down suddenly three time... going to black and restart alone, could it be a lack of PS already? and yes the fans are two noisy with these operations... It is normal in Davinci as thery are the hardest processes for the software but shuting down suddenly and whta you guys said it make think that I already have a problem with the PS :banghead: ... Thoughts??

Awesome guys and gracias :clap:, I will try everything and let you know!!

One note, my machine when I stressed it out... in Davinci using Neat Video noise reduction plugin and in combination with 3rd party OFX plugins it did shut down suddenly three time... going to black and restart alone, could it be a lack of PS already? and yes the fans are two noisy with these operations... It is normal in Davinci as thery are the hardest processes for the software but shuting down suddenly and whta you guys said it make think that I already have a problem with the PS :banghead: ... Thoughts??
So it just goes directly to off? If yes then it is probably the PSU.

What PSU do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back