Contribute
Register

GeForce GTX 960 Blank Screen Boot Issues (NVIDIA Web Driver?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z97 Extreme3
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey friends,

This is my first build and I have to say, this forum is a life saver! Thank you so much for all of your help and support. I've looked around for a solution to my issue which seems to be nearly identical to an issue that has been posted a few times, but none of the solutions I've tried have helped, so hopefully you can help me out!

here is my build information really quickly:
​Yosemite 10.10.3
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Mother Board: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Primary SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card

I've successfully followed the installation guide all the way through installing drivers with multibeast and everything is working perfectly fine for the most part.

Here is my weird issue:
When I first set up my Mac, I've had the previously reported issue where the graphics were extremely laggy and locked at a 1024x768. The output to the monitor plugged into the second DVI slot on my card was also not working. (both are connected via DVI with no adapters)

I found a thread that said to install NVIDIA's Web Drivers, and after digging around, I finally found the compatible driver, installed it, switched from the OSX default driver and had everything working perfectly! Both monitors 1920 x 1080. No lag or stuttering. BUT here is my is my issue:

Seemingly randomly, 1 of 2 things will happen.

1. After restarting the computer/ powering up: I will clear the Unibeast Loading screen and get to the gray screen with the loading bar and the apple logo. The bar will load 1/3rd the way and then both of my screens will go black: No signal. Even after waiting, there are no signs that the card is outputting anything at all.

2. I will be able to boot normally, but one of my screens will be at an irregular resolution, and register as being set to 1920 x 1080 in system preferences. usually after restarting, i'll notice the loading screen is in the weird resolution, and I'll end up with problem 1 again. Or it will revert to being laggy and only on one monitor, as if the NVIDIA Drivers were not installed.

If I use: nv_disable=1 I can boot successfully, from there I can switch to the default OS X drivers, type my password, refuse to restart the computer to make changes, then click the NVIDIA Driver, type my password, restart the computer and 1/4 times, it will boot successfully in full HD as if nothing was wrong.

Throughout my installation, I would usually have graphics issues (i.e. hanging after [IOBluetoothHCIController][Start] -- completed) but I have since moved past that and have been able to consistently boot to the login screen smoothly, except for the aforementioned errors.

If anyone has any advice or if there is a way I can give you any more pertinent information, please let me know. I'm very new to this so I apologize if I'm missing anything completely obvious.

Thanks again!

How did you get it to work? I'm having the same issue, however it's never displaying anything once it hits that point.

Verify that your system definition is set to Mac Pro 3,1 (MP3,1). I used Clover as my bootloader, so I can't tell you how to make those changes with MultiBeast. Doing so fixed a nearly identical problem for me with a GTX 750 card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back