Contribute
Register

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti: Boot to graphics / window manager works with only HDMI plugged in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 530
CPU
Q9650
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Looking for others who've had a similar experience or who've resolved this. When I boot the system with a single monitor attached to the HDMI output, the system starts up with no problem, but when I start attaching additional monitors, problems start to arise. I'll enumerate:

When I boot with 3 monitors attached, the system hangs prior to starting the graphics / window manager; I only ever see verbose booting output.

When I boot with 2 monitors attached, same as above.

When I boot with EITHER DisplayPort or DVI attached (by themselves without a second monitor), the graphics / window manager also do not start.

HOWEVER, when I attach 2 additional monitors (to the DisplayPort and DVI), AFTER the window manager is running, all 3 monitors work fine together with no visible problems so far.

I'm specifically running a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB.

It's obviously difficult to constantly unplug and plug in additional monitors during each boot process, so I'd like to find both the root cause and solution to this problem.

@yllapilate
Same problem with my hp z240 and gtx 1060, are you running latest 10.13.4 and latest nvidia web driver?
You also have the latest clover installed? I also have lilu.kext and nvidiagraphicfixup.kext, now i’ve asked to another user that have same card and can boot with 3 monitor his config.plist to see if missing something

Yes, latest 10.13.4 nvidia web driver. Tried with most recent Clover + @RehabMan's Clover. Tried with Lilu and NvidiaGraphicFixup as well.

Still only able to boot with only the HDMI port plugged into a monitor. After it starts I can plug in a DVI connected monitor and it comes up as well. Now the DisplayPort to VGA connection (using an adapter) is no longer working, so at most getting just two active monitors on it. Also had a spontaneous reboot during the night that caused some headache for the user of the machine this morning since it's kind of a hassle to unplug, reboot (via ssh) and then plug in DVI after the window manager / graphics are up...

I have not tried switching the model from an iMac13,2 yet to another model. It's been suggested that that could be the real problem due to the way that unit was designed as far as monitors coming up.

Any luck getting details from the user who has 3 monitors working @macSteve83?

Yes, latest 10.13.4 nvidia web driver. Tried with most recent Clover + @RehabMan's Clover. Tried with Lilu and NvidiaGraphicFixup as well.

Still only able to boot with only the HDMI port plugged into a monitor. After it starts I can plug in a DVI connected monitor and it comes up as well. Now the DisplayPort to VGA connection (using an adapter) is no longer working, so at most getting just two active monitors on it. Also had a spontaneous reboot during the night that caused some headache for the user of the machine this morning since it's kind of a hassle to unplug, reboot (via ssh) and then plug in DVI after the window manager / graphics are up...

I have not tried switching the model from an iMac13,2 yet to another model. It's been suggested that that could be the real problem due to the way that unit was designed as far as monitors coming up.

Any luck getting details from the user who has 3 monitors working @macSteve83?
Unfortunately i didn’t had any reply, but i solved my problem enabling csm support on bios.
On my bios is legacy support and look it solves all the problem with multi monitor with nvidia, give it a try

Hmm, we tried that, but then it caused some other problems. Going to have to play around with this some and get some details together...

When you enabled CSM (Legacy) did you also alter Clover's config at all?

Last edited:
Hmm, we tried that, but then it caused some other problems. Going to have to play around with this some and get some details together...

When you enabled CSM (Legacy) did you also alter Clover's config at all?
No i didn’t do anything, before that apple logo and clover looked like in hi definition on screen, now apple logo is bigger but after few seconds desappeard and the three monitor woke up.
On boot look in clover/option/graphic if only the web driver are selected.
Which problem gives u csm enabled?
On my bios say this “
Legacy Support – Lets you turn on all legacy support on the computer, including booting to DOS, running
legacy graphics cards, booting to legacy devices, and so on. ”

So on my 8300 models, there's no "CSM" phraseology, just Legacy Support (which I see is what you appear to be getting too) and then that facilitates loading graphic roms via Legacy, which I suspect is the real differential here even though it's still booting UEFI.

Interesting find here. If I enable Legacy Boot and plug in both the HDMI + DVI monitors, the system starts with the two monitors active and functional. Yes, Clover becomes "fuzzy" and enlarged, but that's to be expected.

If, while macOS is running and the window manager / Desktop is up and going (in other words, the operating system looks fine and programs are functional) and I plug in the DisplayPort monitor, the DVI monitor goes fuzzy and will not even come back on when unplugged and plugged back in with or without the DisplayPort monitor connected.

When I attempt to boot WITH all three attached (ie, + DisplayPort), then I get the following failure (ie, the kernel doesn't even bootstrap from Clover):
boot_failure.png

It seems that DisplayPort is doing something strange or interesting that needs to be further understood. I've even seen that plugging in DisplayPort causes the drive enumeration to change in Clover's graphical display of devices...

For Error loading kernel cache (0x9) boot with -f UseKernelCache=No or use Rehabman's version of Clover and boot without caches.

So @P1LGRIM that's interesting and thanks! I already had Rehabman's Clover in place, but I've never found the boot without caches option for some reason. I figured it would be pretty evident or sitting under a menu hierarchy, but no joy. At any rate I DID, however, get `-f UseKernelCache=no` to work and it fired up with all three monitors attached this time.

Even though all 3 monitors are attached at boot now, the DisplayPort monitor is still not turning on; it stays asleep. I can also now unplug and plug it back in and it doesn't cause the HDMI attached monitor to go off as it did before. Not sure what to think here and what would be causing this to behave as it is as of yet...

I already had Rehabman's Clover in place, but I've never found the boot without caches option for some reason.
Just press the spacebar at the Clover screen and select it from the list on that page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back