4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Plus
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

I just popped a EVGA GeForce GT 640 graphics card into my Gigabyte Z77-DS3H, and it goes white, goes to the apple, goes white again, and stays that way. I heard this card should be plug-and-play, are there settings I have to change before installing it to prepare for that install?

Thanks

It's a bit tricky to diagnose from what you mentioned. I assume you were using the HD400 internal graphics before installing the GT 640. Did you change to GraphicsEnabler=No in the boot plist? Also you might need to set the BIOS internal graphics setting to 'off' now.

You posted this in the 'Lion' support section. Is this correct? Most Ivy Bridge users are using Mountain Lion, and these nVidia 6xx graphics cards are really only supported on ML, not Lion.

Hi all,

I just popped a EVGA GeForce GT 640 graphics card into my Gigabyte Z77-DS3H, and it goes white, goes to the apple, goes white again, and stays that way. I heard this card should be plug-and-play, are there settings I have to change before installing it to prepare for that install?

Thanks

Look at the specs for the gfx card - if it is Fermi card (probably is), remove from PCIe slot, boot to OS X, install Fermi drivers first, repair permissions and only then install the GT640.

It's a bit tricky to diagnose from what you mentioned. I assume you were using the HD400 internal graphics before installing the GT 640. Did you change to GraphicsEnabler=No in the boot plist? Also you might need to set the BIOS internal graphics setting to 'off' now.
No, I did not. Where can I find the boot plist?

You posted this in the 'Lion' support section. Is this correct? Most Ivy Bridge users are using Mountain Lion, and these nVidia 6xx graphics cards are really only supported on ML, not Lion.
I'm on Lion for now, it's all I had handy when I made the boot drive, and I've been to nervous to upgrade, haha. On that note, can I upgrade normally, or must I do a new clean install of ML?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back