1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm having issues getting dual monitor display to work with the following setup:

Core i7 860
GA-P55M-UD4
ZOTAC GeForce 9500GT 1GB

Everything else works flawlessly for me running 10.6.3, but I can't get both monitors to work. The card has 3 outputs (VGA, DVI, HDMI), but the only one I can get video to come out of is the VGA port. As soon as I try to plug in the second monitor (DVI) and get OSX to detect displays, both displays go black. It seems like it is trying to put the video on the second monitor (DVI) to no avail. :banghead: So far I have tried:

- Uninstall/Re-install NVEnabler
- Shutdown/Restart with monitors plugged in
- New graphic card
- Different monitors

Am I missing something obvious here? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tried using GraphicsEnabler=Yes in your Boot.plist, without NVenabler ?

that would be my choice too, I ran that same combo of a 9500GT and P55M-UD4 and had no issues with multiple monitors (any2 out of the three outputs), running with graphics enabler=yes under 10.6.2

(by time I went to 10.6.3 card was swapped out for a 260 but I dont expect it would have been an issue)

I tried that and it didn't seem to make much of a difference, but thanks. Anyways, here's some more details on what I've tried/experienced:

[Scenario #1]
- Start computer w/ only 1 monitor connected (via VGA)
- Wait til boot into OSX, then plug in second monitor (DVI)
- Go to Display->Detect Displays
Result: Display shows up in second monitor (DVI) now, but 1st monitor (VGA) is now black/blank

[Scenario #2]
- Start computer w/ both monitors connected (1 - VGA, 2 - DVI)
- Boot messages run by on monitor 1 (VGA) and seems to be starting normally
Result: 1st monitor (VGA) goes black at the end of boot sequence and display tries to switch over to second monitor (DVI), but all that shows up in second monitor (DVI) is a blinking cursor (which I can type at), but no OSX

I feel like I'm so close, but just missing something small because everything else is working if I stick to a single display. Any further thoughts? Thanks again for the help!

Wonder if you might benefit from tweaking the info.plist in NVenabler- it's been known to solve some issues with multiple displays, and works better at injecting rom info than GraphicsEnabler for the 9400gt. Check out this thread for instructions:

viewtopic.php?p=6610#p6610

So, after much tinkering, I figured out that my graphics card will only do dual monitor display if on is coming out of VGA and the other from HDMI. It seems to not like the DVI port at all (even if that's the only one plugged in).

That would be fine, except the two monitors that I bought for this setup were a bit cheaper and only have VGA inputs (built this rig for my wife, but she wanted dual monitors so I cheaped a bit).

Any thoughts before I sell these 2 monitors and get ones with VGA/DVI/HDMI inputs?

I have dual monitors and everything works with graphics enabler = yes for EVGA 9800 GT and EVGA GTX 285, both dual DVI out. In general I think dual DVI cards seem to have less trouble than DVI/HDMI cards, but that may be hogwash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back