Contribute
Register

Geekbench scores incredibly low... any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark, I tried following the link in your post (I'm trying to get overclocking to work in OS X with a similar build) but it says I don't have administrative rights to view your post. Bit weird, I'm logged in and everything - any chance you could re-post your OC settings here please?

I'm running an i7 3930K on an ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard, but whatever OC settings I apply in BIOS don't come up in OS X. When I do the auto overclock option (pressing 'OC Tuner' in the AI Tweaker menu, which causes the settings to be set to BCLK 126.37 and Turbo Ratio to 33), that registers in OS X (CPU at 4.04GHz) but whenever I try to set any custom overclock settings, it just shows up as 3.2GHz again. I've tried disabling turbo, speedstep, EPU power savings (all in various combinations) and OS X still won't recognise the overclock (Geekbench scores still down at 14,000, a bit low for my liking). Whenever I apply settings they always work in Windows though, and I've managed to achieve a stable 4.4GHz overclock on Windows but never in OS X - please help!

Tom

EDIT: I should add that I've got OS X fully working in every other respect and don't need any bootflags. I have been using a fully CUDA-enabled GTX 680 for video rendering and everything about my system seems to operating very well (14,000 Geekbench score at stock 3.2GHz is pretty good I would say - this was a professionally built system with water cooling so it runs without a hitch, it's only applying successful overclocking in OS X that is defeating me).

Yeah, it's annoying. And I don't see any breakthroughs happening any time soon (ever).

If the new MacPros come with LGA 2011, it will be supported pretty OOB.

Mark, I tried following the link in your post (I'm trying to get overclocking to work in OS X with a similar build) but it says I don't have administrative rights to view your post. Bit weird, I'm logged in and everything - any chance you could re-post your OC settings here please?

I'm running an i7 3930K on an ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard, but whatever OC settings I apply in BIOS don't come up in OS X. When I do the auto overclock option (pressing 'OC Tuner' in the AI Tweaker menu, which causes the settings to be set to BCLK 126.37 and Turbo Ratio to 33), that registers in OS X (CPU at 4.04GHz) but whenever I try to set any custom overclock settings, it just shows up as 3.2GHz again. I've tried disabling turbo, speedstep, EPU power savings (all in various combinations) and OS X still won't recognise the overclock (Geekbench scores still down at 14,000, a bit low for my liking). Whenever I apply settings they always work in Windows though, and I've managed to achieve a stable 4.4GHz overclock on Windows but never in OS X - please help!

mckinsey, did you ever figure out why you were getting stuck using the OC Tuner resulting in a 4.04? I have the same issue and have not been able to exceed 4.04. I also cannot read the previous link posted by marknotten.

mckinsey, did you ever figure out why you were getting stuck using the OC Tuner resulting in a 4.04? I have the same issue and have not been able to exceed 4.04. I also cannot read the previous link posted by marknotten.

Yes, I did :)

The 4.04GHz overclock is resulting from OC'ing being done using only the BCLK, and not the turbo ratio, because SpeedStep doesn't work in OS X and thus disables Turbo. What you need to do is go into your OC settings and totally disable SpeedStep, then set your BCLK to 100 (the stock level) and your Turbo Ratio to 40 for a 4GHz overclock, 42 for a 4.2GHz overclock, etc. Basically BCLK is an overall system change that overclocks your RAM and graphics card and is not generally necessary, but it's the only form of OC that works under OS X if you have SpeedStep turned on. With SpeedStep off, you can make use of the much safer Turbo setting, which only affects CPU clock speed and leaves other components alone. The downside is that it runs your CPU at max speed at all times without SpeedStep, but with the new Mac Pro coming out soon SpeedStep will definitely be available for OS X soon! :)

You should look up how to use and test appropriate voltages for your chosen Turbo Ratio. I have mine set to 42 (4.2GHz) and the VCore at 1.28V, but it varies subtly by system and is something I'm not an expert on by any means!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back