Contribute
Register

GED's Prodigy: i7-3770K - Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe - 16GB 2400MHz RAM - GA Radeon HD6870

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice build GED.

I am getting parts for a very similar build.

LG Bluray Burner ( must have no question about it )
Corsair H100 or H80

This will be with Mountain Lion though.
Have you tried your build with a CLEAN install of ML?

Yes, just did. it works OK enough for me.

For the LG burner, I also added an LG bluray drive. See my original post on how I got it to play blurays.

Watch out on the Corsair H100: this one has a 240mm radiator that you have to mount on the top panel, therefore you will lose the optical drive bay as the radiator will be filling it. That's why I picked the H80 which can be mounted rotated on the back panel and still keeps the optical drive bay free for a DVD/bluray burner.

And are your USB3 ports all working?

Just plugged my USB 2.0 stick in the side panel USB3 that come from the motherboard header and.. the system froze: iTunes was still playing music, mouse was still moving. But windows were not moving, nor menus working... had to hit reset

auto-mount
Do you know of any way?

nope.

Great build! I am very envious.

The more I look into this board, the more it looks like the best option. Does the onboard Wifi and Bluetooth work? What about the 6GBs SATA?

and do I understand that the two USB 3 ports on the case are controlled by the Z77 and work properly?

Great build! I am very envious.

The more I look into this board, the more it looks like the best option. Does the onboard Wifi and Bluetooth work? What about the 6GBs SATA?

and do I understand that the two USB 3 ports on the case are controlled by the Z77 and work properly?

Thanks, I am happy as it seems to be way more stable than my first hack which had become unreliable (hardware failure = constant crashes).
The only drawback to the Bitfenix case is that it has too much ventilation, so it is a noisy case.
Anandtech reviewed it as being silent, but it does not match my old Antec.

Wifi: NO. I don't care as I use wired Ethernet and that one is recognized with hnak e10000 driver. I think I have read on here that some folks have replaced the mini-PCIE card on the motherboard with another one to get Wifi.

Built-in Bluetooth: NO. Note that the replacement wifi card mentioned above does not do bluetooth. I have not seen any combined wifi+bluetooth that is supported for a hack. However I don't care as I use a ASUS USB-BT21 bluetooth dongle plugged in one of the four USB 2.0 ports in the back. So I've bluetooth working (but not the built-in)

6Gbps SATA:
The motherboard has 2x6GBps ports and 2x3GBps internal (plus two eSATA that I did not use).
The first 6GBps port is used by the Intel SSD, System report reports Link Speed as 6Gbps, and Negotiated Speed as also 6Gbps
The second 6GBps port is used by a WD 1TB HDD, System report reports Link Speed as 6Gbps, and Negotiated Speed as only 3Gbps
The third 3GBps port is used by a Seagate 3TB HDD, System report reports Link Speed as 6Gbps, and Negotiated Speed as only 3Gbps
The fourth 3GBps port is used by the LG bluray drive, System report reports Link Speed as 6Gbps, and Negotiated Speed as only 1.5Gbps

USB ports:
The two side panel ports are plugged in the motherboard using the single large USB 3.0 connector (the smaller other one is left dangling).
The System report reports them as just USB "up to 480 Mb/sec" which sounds like USB 2.0,
but when I was installing Lion using my USB 3.0 stick, it was way way faster than installing Mountain Lion using a USB 2.0 stick.
So I would say they work at USB 3.0 speed, but I cannot prove it.
Looking at the motherboard back:
The four USB 2.0 ports work (That's where I have my KVM for my keyboard/mouse, and an external card reader+hub)
The two blue USB 3.0 ports just under the Ethernet do NOT work. I believe those are the "ASMedia" ports that I've disabled in the BIOS.
The two black/green USB 3.0 above the eSATA - one of which is for flash - do work. I've not tested the speed per se, but I would say they do work at USB 3.0 speed.
My keyboard has 3 USB 2.0 ports, my card reader has 3 USB 2.0 ports, and my KVM still has 2 ports free, so I've had enough ports free so far.

Hope that helps.

...do I understand that the two USB 3 ports on the case are controlled by the Z77 and work properly?

USB 3 is not natively supported by Apple's Desktop OS X. Apple just released MBPs with USB 3, but not until the desktops are introduced will the USB 3 be supported in OS X. Even then, lots of mobos may not have the same chipset as Apple's desktops.

thelostswede and several of the moderators are working hard to get a kext that works with the majority of the 3rd party (non Apple & Intel) legacy chipsets. Stay tune for news at 11 (as the USA East coast news programs say). :thumbup:

USB 3 is not natively supported by Apple's Desktop OS X. Apple just released MBPs with USB 3, but not until the desktops are introduced will the USB 3 be supported in OS X. Even then, lots of mobos may not have the same chipset as Apple's desktops.

thelostswede and several of the moderators are working hard to get a kext that works with the majority of the 3rd party (non Apple & Intel) legacy chipsets. Stay tune for news at 11 (as the USA East coast news programs say). :thumbup:

Stork, I respectfully disagree. I've got Z77 chipset driven USB3 ports working on my Zotac build with ML 10.8. Speed tests with USB3 flash drives and SATA-USB3 adaptor cable confirms the increase in speed. The only caveat is that USB2 mass storage devices do not work in the USB3 ports.

OK. I've gone to the experts, and taken to the woodshed. (In my defense, I'm claiming I didn't get the memo.)

On the Z77 mobo's, running Mountain Lion only, will only get USB 3 speeds on the 2 USB 3 ports connected to the Intel chipset. However (there's always a "however" isn't there), these two ports will not support USB 2 devices. Regardless, USB 3 doesn't work w/o problems as you've noted. So, I'm 80% right. :D

Oh, BTW, the nice thing with the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, the USB3 ports on the VL810 hub work at USB 3 or USB 2. I've got that motherboard sitting on my desktop along with the rest of the components. Unforunately, I can't find my "get-around-to-it." :lol:

Ok, I've tried so hard on my own and come up short, so now I need to ask for help. I've hackintoshed many a system, but this one is driving me nuts for the past 4 or 5 days and i'm about to give up.

I have the same Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe as you, and have followed your guide and carefully selected every option you did. I have upgraded my bios to the one at the Asus Modified bios repository to try and fix powermanagment. In my case, it didn't seem to work, so I just had to use nullcpu to get booting. No biggy. This bios doesn't seem to have done anything actually, as my issue below is no different either before or after flashing to it.

Everyone keeps saying that the GTX 580 is natively supported, but mine isn't working properly under Mountain Lion. I can get booted up, but only with 1024X768 resolution. FYI, my graphics were working perfectly in Lion 10.7.3 with modified kexts injected with my device ID. The new drivers in Mountain Lion have my device ID in it by default, and still aren't working. Actually, with the default drivers, in order to get past the "TUFS" error message, I have to fully remove them or replace them, then I can boot.

Things I've tried:

---Graphics enabler yes / no

---NCPI=0x2000 / 0x3000 - This corrupts my Mountain Lion installation for some reason as soon as I try it. Its done it to me TWICE. No amount of safemode or bootflags gets me booted up again, it just freezes at different messages during the boot process right after where it initializes the ethernet driver. I can't even boot from my TonyMac installation USB boot drive and then choose my OSX partition. I even tried booting the installer and doing repair disk and repair permissions... nothing gets me back in after this! I can however boot into the Mountain Lion installer from the USB drive, and after a reinstallation, I can get booted up again.

---Replacing the new OSX nvidia drivers with mine from 10.7.3 and even tried modded ones from 10.7.4. The driver seems to be getting loaded in the boot process no problem (I watch it closely in verbose mode), but I'm still stuck at 1024X768 when it boots. What the french toast!

---PCIROOTUID=1 and 0 - This does nothing

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I love this board and want to be done with this issue already.

Hi,

Have built almost identical build, but has anyone managed to get HD 4000 graphics working? I can't get them enabled at all. Have tried injecting device id, and also tried on both HDMI and DVI. Anyone else?

Hey there,
I´m planning to install Mountain Lion on my new Hardware.
Asus P8z77 i deluxe
i5 3570K
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance
Asus GTX 670

I`ve read alot in the Forum but I still wonder if I can do a fresh install or if I have to install Lion first.
As far as I understand I don`t need Lion. But there´s no tutorial about that; or I just didn`t find it.
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back