Contribute
Register

GC-ALPINE RIDGE in hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an GigabyteAlpineRidge TB card rev.1 here, too. I was only able to upgrade firmware to NVM21 when installing Thunderbolt Drivers version 16.3.x.x - had latest drivers 17.1.x.x first installed..
I had the 16.3.x.x drivers. it's still not working... What is supposed to happen? I run the setup from Gigabyte's webpage, then it seems it's only installing the FlashTBT app that I have to manually find and start myself and from that I get the generation_mismatch error message...
Where did you find the 17.1.x.x drivers? They are not on Gigabyte's page relating to the card as far as I can see...

But how did you get the FlashTMT to work? Did you have to manually select bin file? Did the included .bin file just work when you tried with the older Thunderbolt Drivers?

(I've tried now with Thunderbolt Drivers 16.2.x.x, 16.3.x.x and 17.4.x.x... same results all the time... generation_mismatch error message in FlashTBT...)

Last edited:
It sounds like you have the Alpine Ridge rev 2.0 card, which has no firmware update at this stage.
DOH! I think you were right all along! I was so sure it was 1.0 as that's what it said on the shop's webpage. I saw no indication on the card itself but on the box it actually says rev.2.0... So that's the firmware flash mystery resolved...

Still have to figure out why I can't even boot in macOS when the card is installed though! (macOS 10.13.4)

Guys I got the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge V2 Thunderbolt addon card. But it does not work on my MSI Tomahawk X299 AC motherboard. I specifically checked and there was a TB header on the motherboard and the connector wire plugged into it perfectly. But it doesn’t get detected in even in BIOS. BTW there is no setting related to Thunderbolt in BIOS.

Has anyone got this GC-Alpine Ridge to work in MSI motherhood?
Did you update the BIOS to the latest?

You could try Universal IFR Extractor to see if the BIOS has hidden Thunderbolt settings (I compiled the one from LongSoft to work in macOS).

Just got an email from MSI support and the idiots don't support Thunderbolt AIC cards on their motherboards even though they advertise it on their site. There is no option in BIOS to enable thunderbolt support so that's that.
MSI doesn't make there own card (they have a product page for the "MSI Thunderbolt M3" but I don't think they made any) and I don't think they'll support other manufacturer's add-in cards but that doesn't mean they can't work.

Just because the BIOS doesn't show the options doesn't mean the options aren't there. The BIOS is made by AMI so it will be very similar to the BIOS of Gigabyte and ASUS motherboards. Universal IFR Extractor may show those hidden options. I looked at the 7B05v18 BIOS for your motherboard and couldn't find any Thunderbolt stuff...

There is a thread in the MSI forums about using Thunderbolt 3 with a Tomohawk X299 motherboard (probably not the AC version) at https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=292944.0 The user did not state if PCIe tunneling or USB worked (DisplayPort conversion to Thunderbolt always works).

Either that user is mistaken or he used ASRock Thunderbolt AIC which does work on X299 Tomahawk AC board without BIOS settings.

The user only said that he got a Thunderbolt display to work. He did not say if the functions of the display that require PCIe
tunneling worked (FireWire, USB, Ethernet, Camera). In fact, he said the display did not appear in the list of Thunderbolt devices in the Intel software which probably means the PCIe tunneling wasn't working.

A working Thunderbolt 3 add-in card should pass the following tests:
1) Display (DisplayPort pass thru, Thunderbolt display,
Thunderbolt Dual Display adapter. This should alway work even when using the wrong slot or don't have a header connection or using a slot not connected to a computer)
2) USB (a mouse or keyboard or USB storage device up to 10 Gbps)
3) PCIe (a port such as USB, Ethernet, or FireWire in a Thunderbolt 3 Dock or Thunderbolt 3 Display should be useable).
4) Hotplug of all of the above (disconnect, reconnect)
5) Sleep/wake of all of the above
6) Chain of additional Thunderbolt device (and all of the above again with that device)
In my Hackintosh, I haven't done the work to get 4 and 5.

Ok, so now I have the latest Clover, latest (F6) motherboard firmware, tried every imaginable setting in BIOS, Rev 2.0 card... works great in Windows, but macOS (10.13.4) just won't boot when the card is installed... has anyone seen this and have any suggestions??? (get a split second of white apple logo on black before it switches to crossed white circle where Apple logo was)

Most Thunderbolt stuff on Hackintoshes doesn't support hot swapping at all, and as per my original post the only way to get it to work is to power it up on the BIOS screen.

I have 3 UAD devices on the one TB3 bus and they work perfectly - just gotta turn them on at the right time.

I'm about to build my 1st Hackintosh and I'm also using 3 UAD devices with TB3. I currently have an Asus x99 A II with an alpine ridge rev 1 card. Will I have an easier time with an X99 A II deluxe since it has built-in TB3? Would I likely have to start up in BIOS and turn on the UAD devices with that setup as well? Same with an ASUS Ex3 card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back