Contribute
Register

GC-ALPINE RIDGE in hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
You had os X installed already?

With my "experience" I would start with:

1. Insert a card with THB_C cable to the PCI 4x slot. (Lowest PCI slot on 270X Gaming K5)
2. Startup to bios and Enable Thunderbolt stuff in Peripherals window, security to "no secure" etc..
3. save & exit
4. during BIOS screen power up TB devices
5. Let us know what happened :)

//H
Ok I will. For now I'm waiting the parcel.;)

I know it seems to be impossible to do hotswapping but is there any better solution to boot TB devices than running to an apollo in every startup?

Most Thunderbolt stuff on Hackintoshes doesn't support hot swapping at all, and as per my original post the only way to get it to work is to power it up on the BIOS screen.

I have 3 UAD devices on the one TB3 bus and they work perfectly - just gotta turn them on at the right time.

I'd like to let everyone know that I have this GC-Alpine Ridge card working on my setup. I had to update my Bios to get it to work. I was on F4 and went to F23g. I haven't done major testing yet but I'm attached to a RAID via an Apple thunderbolt 3-2 adapter. Using BM disk test I get normal speeds for this RAID setup.

The BIOS gave me a little trouble but nothing that I couldn't fix since I took copious notes on my previous setting and referred to BIOS settings for my original install. I think the only thing I actually had to change in the BIOS was the XHCI Handoff to Enabled. Everything else was already the same as with my previous BIOS setting.

I searched for a few hours trying to find someone who got this card working and couldn't really get a straight answer so I'm posting so someone might see that it does work. At least with my setup.

I want to use only the DisplayPort over USB-C feature of the GC-Alpine Ridge to drive a UltraFine 4k display. I am not interested in any of the Thunderbolt 3 features. I do not own any of the compatible boards of the GC-Alpine Ridge so I will not be able to connect the internal header connector. In fact, I want to use the card in an external PCIe case connected through Thunderbolt 2. I was wondering if any of the owners of the card could tell if DisplayPort over USB-C on the card works without connecting the headers.

@tonyarnold I'm using the card with a Thunderbolt Display, and I've seen very inconsistent behaviour with not only the usb ports, but also daisy chaining harddrives and etc.

I would like to know if anyone makes progress on this too!

Guys I have a motherboard z370xp SLI, for her I want to buy a card GC-ALPINE RIDGE to connect an apple thunderbolt display. I can do this? will there be a picture?

I'd like to let everyone know that I have this GC-Alpine Ridge card working on my setup. I had to update my Bios to get it to work. I was on F4 and went to F23g. I haven't done major testing yet but I'm attached to a RAID via an Apple thunderbolt 3-2 adapter. Using BM disk test I get normal speeds for this RAID setup.
That's encouraging! (have one on order)
How's the situation with hot swapping etc? Some reports said that the Apollo audio interface had to be turned on at startup or it wouldn't show up and so... can you turn on your raid after computer is started and it shows up as normal?

I've been fighting with the devices a bit. I find it takes me a few restarts to get things to show up. That was the case prior as well. So it's not really unusual. I find it odd that my Black magic card can hot swap though. It seems to work fine no matter what. I have the SANLink3 T1 attached as well, which basically allows me to get 10Gbe line from my QNAP NAS storage system. This is very finicky. It takes a bit after restart for it to be recognized. It's odd as well, I just recently installed it with the drivers and at first the system didn't see it at all but I left it alone overnight and it was just working in the morning. Not sure what that's about. I feel like it's a bit of a crap shoot from day to day and I can't rely on this Hackintosh at all. I wish I was a bit more savy and understood thing so I could fix them. Not sure it's even possible to have a reliable Hackintosh. I'll probably cave and go buy a new iMac pro if I can't this working more reliably.

Boot into Windows to make sure the devices are working there. Then boot into Clover (warm boot), use the EFI Shell to make sure the devices are still there in the pci list or dev tree (or just check the Clover boot log).

A Thunderbolt chip has two DisplayPort 1.2 inputs, two Thunderbolt outputs (DisplayPort alt mode, HDMI 1.4 alt mode, USB 3.1 gen 2), and a DisplayPort 1.2 output (with dual-mode which means the DisplayPort port also supports single-link DVI / HDMI).

@joevt, finally got Thunderbolt to show in IOReg, but it doesn't mount. Had to change a bunch of BIOS settings (and rebuild my Catalog in the process; major annoyance).

You mentioned a while back needing to look at the PCI tree. What do I need to send you? The whole IOReg file?

Thanks!

@joevt, finally got Thunderbolt to show in IOReg, but it doesn't mount. Had to change a bunch of BIOS settings (and rebuild my Catalog in the process; major annoyance).

You mentioned a while back needing to look at the PCI tree. What do I need to send you? The whole IOReg file?

Yes, ioreg from the ioreg command, or IORegistryExplorer.app (v2.1), also try the pcitree.sh script posted earlier.

Yes, ioreg from the ioreg command, or IORegistryExplorer.app (v2.1), also try the pcitree.sh script posted earlier.

Here is the Save As from IOReg 2.1. The pcitree.sh gives:
Code:
pcilib: Cannot open AppleACPIPlatformExpert (add boot arg debug=0x144 & run as root)
setpci: Cannot find any working access method.
pcilib: Cannot open AppleACPIPlatformExpert (add boot arg debug=0x144 & run as root)
lspci: Cannot find any working access method.
even though I have boot-arg debug=0x144 in Clover.

As far as I can tell from the device tree in Window, Thunderbolt is attaching to PCI0:RP21: PXSX: pci-bridge@0: pci8086,1577.

Attachments

• iMac18,3.ioreg
    13.1 MB · Views: 181
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back