Contribute
Register

GC-ALPINE RIDGE in hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know where to buy one of these? I am in the US but would buy from overseas if they shipped to US.

At the moment nowhere, I've contacted Gigabyte who were beyond useless, then I contacted every site I could find which listed either the manufacturer part number, UPC code or product code, with places having it listed but none actually having stock or able to give an ETA of the re-up. Very annoying Gigabyte conversation went along the lines of:
Me: I'd like to buy this part
GB: Please see our sellers list
Me: Local Distribution didn't get stock
GB: Not all regions received stock
Me: Can you tell me which regions received stock?
GB: See our sellers list
Me: Can you narrow it down slightly?
GB: *crickets

At the moment nowhere, I've contacted Gigabyte who were beyond useless, then I contacted every site I could find which listed either the manufacturer part number, UPC code or product code, with places having it listed but none actually having stock or able to give an ETA of the re-up. Very annoying Gigabyte conversation went along the lines of:
Me: I'd like to buy this part
GB: Please see our sellers list
Me: Local Distribution didn't get stock
GB: Not all regions received stock
Me: Can you tell me which regions received stock?
GB: See our sellers list
Me: Can you narrow it down slightly?
GB: *crickets

LOL!

So random status update, but I got this card to work!!!

So you might ask what did I do to get it to work, well the answer is that I DON'T FLIPPIN KNOW!...

Today, the ASRock TB 2 card was acting up on windows, so I thought I would give this one another shot. I had a hunch that maybe for some reason there wasn't enough PCI lanes for all of the crap that I had connected to it, so I removed my Wi-Fi module, added the Alpine Ridge, boot up and to my astonishment it works both on windows and macOS.

Just to check whether this could be a PCI lane issue, I plugged in back the WI-FI card and... it works too! I'm totally stunned, but am now assuming that there might have been conflicts with the old TB drivers on win and when I updated them they didn't actually update. I did a few uninstalls and reinstalls but that didn't do the trick... until now.

So no idea why it didn't work, but now it works, so I can finally give :thumbup: on this card.
Cheers.

Now if only we could buy it from somewhere.

Update: it seems that in 8-10 weeks these should be everywhere according to a call I received from Gigabyte today

I hope you're right. In the last few days, i have checked online vendor sites around the world: U.S., Canada, U.K., Germany, Japan, Italy, Lichtenstein, France, Austria, Australia, Poland, Belgium, India, Netherlands, Switzerland, Spain. The card cannot be found.

I suspect Gigabyte has had production problems (or a design defect). After a major, global roll-out campaign, only a very few units made it to market and almost immediately there were none available anywhere.

My Gigabyte AlpineRidge card just arrived today. I ordered it by ALTERNATE, a german hardware seller back in January, so it just took 10 weeks to get it delivered. Just installed it and it works right "out-of-the-box". Installed it on an ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII in PCIe slot #2. It was detected by WINDOWS10 and OS X SIERRA 10.12.4 beta7 instantly.

Now i have to make SSDT or DSDT edit to make it work as a Thunderbolt-Device as in a real Mac, cause right now it fully works, but does NOT show in System Information under Thunderbolt entry. Will report back if succeeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back