Contribute
Register

GC-ALPINE RIDGE in hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats fine but there are cases where PM makes sense. Results will benefit all. As i mentioned i am under essentially an NDA but i can share privately for testing now.
Anyway thanks for the info.
g\

Ah looks like he's got 75 posts now. ;)

Damn, I'm curious now.
W/of a way to get TB3 I won't start building my hackintosh... so let's see what happens :D

Same same - waiting for the right choice of X99 mainboard.

what are the correct setup for the security in BIOS?
+it seems to me that F20 BIOS of my Z170X-Ultra Gaming doesn't have the "legacy" item anymore

Attachments

• 161127172011.jpg
    161127172011.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 446
No Security
thank you, genzai.

Do you know whether I can install the card in PCIEX8 too? Instead of PCIEX4 (the last one)? ... just not to close two SATA ports...

At the moment with my GA Z170X Ultra Gaming, after installing drivers and updating firmware under Windows, I still cannot see anything in TB section of "About my Mac" Sys Pref ... I don't have any TB device attached though, is this correct? Today I will get USB-C to USB3 dongle ...

Update: dongle USB-C to USB3 arrived and it works ... but nothing appears in the TB section... storage has been identified as USB 3.1 devices ... it has hot plug capabilities as any other USB storage...

Update2: with dongle USB-C (TB3) to TB2 and an ethernet Apple dongle... the ethernet card is correctly recognised and it works as expected. Not working as hot plug though.

Last edited:
Just to give all my info, I'm on Clover 3793, and it is MacPro5,1 not 6,1.

Man this is so weird...

I have the same version of everything except, my BIOS is F20, since GB released it finally, Clover is latest (3923) and SMBIOS is iMac 17,1. Anyway I could not get it to work, all of my TB devices hooked up to the card used to end up in this weird state where they were partially recognised, but not a single one of them would work. I tried reinstalling drivers, changing system definitions, trying to patch IOThunderboltFamily through hopper. Anyway, couldn't make it work.

But...

You mentioned you were using your old TB2 card, and for shits and giggles I tried to plop my old one (ASRock Thunderbolt 2 AIC) in and see whether it works under this new BIOS. And... Walla! It works!!! Interestingly, it was recognised only with the Thunderbolt Driver that came with the GC-Alpine Ridge and not with the original ASRock one (go figure, I guess).

I only have TB2 devices that I want to use right now so I guess I'll just stick with the old card until I hear more success stories of people using the GC-Alpine Ridge.

Please keep us posted, @basak and everyone else. Thank you!

so if I got the ASRock Thunderbolt 2 AIC and I install with the GC-Alpine Ridge driver is gonna works under el capitan with thunderbolt2?

I use 11.10.6 on skylake system Z170-hd3p

Just a bump regarding my status with the card.

Tried a couple more times. The card doesn't work on macOS at all for some reason... ASRock Thunderbolt 2 AIC continues to be my daily driver.

so if I got the ASRock Thunderbolt 2 AIC and I install with the GC-Alpine Ridge driver is gonna works under el capitan with thunderbolt2?

I use 11.10.6 on skylake system Z170-hd3p

Cannot guarantee, but it worked with my MB and the latest BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back