Contribute
Register

GC-ALPINE RIDGE in hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is working for me with the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter.
I had the old TB2 card, which also worked, just inserted the Alpine Ridge-card. Booted to Windows, installed the newest drivers and the latest beta BIOS for my MB. I have the Z170MX Gaming-5.

@basak, here's a list of questions for you:
What BIOS ver are you using? F20 (the non beta)?
macOS version?
Thunderbolt Drivers/Firmware?
Clover Version?
System Definition?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sure, I'm away for a couple of says, so will get the specifics for you tomorrow.

But from what I remember:
BIOS: F20beta
OS X: 10.12.1 (I update through the App store from 10.11, where my old TB2 card worked).
Driver: 16.1.47.275 (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5906&kw=Alpine ridge#dl)
Clover: TBD (updated in early November).
System: Macpro6,1

In El Cap, I also followed Tony's guide here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fix-for-slow-boot-on-thunderbolt-2-0-motherboards.128748/

But I guess that kext was replaced with the Sierra update, but just to lay it all out.

Man this is so weird...

I have the same version of everything except, my BIOS is F20, since GB released it finally, Clover is latest (3923) and SMBIOS is iMac 17,1. Anyway I could not get it to work, all of my TB devices hooked up to the card used to end up in this weird state where they were partially recognised, but not a single one of them would work. I tried reinstalling drivers, changing system definitions, trying to patch IOThunderboltFamily through hopper. Anyway, couldn't make it work.

But...

You mentioned you were using your old TB2 card, and for shits and giggles I tried to plop my old one (ASRock Thunderbolt 2 AIC) in and see whether it works under this new BIOS. And... Walla! It works!!! Interestingly, it was recognised only with the Thunderbolt Driver that came with the GC-Alpine Ridge and not with the original ASRock one (go figure, I guess).

I only have TB2 devices that I want to use right now so I guess I'll just stick with the old card until I hear more success stories of people using the GC-Alpine Ridge.

Please keep us posted, @basak and everyone else. Thank you!

Are the Mini DisplayPort ports on the cards for Thunderbolt passthrough? Are there any instructions on how to use them? Would be pretty amazing if somehow the two inputs could be routed to a single TB3 output to drive the LG UltraFine 5k.

@carlossless please set yourself up for PM and PM me. I have an updater for you but i can't share it publicly yet.
g\
The Rules said:
Members may not solicit nor provide assistance via private communications. This forum was created to provide help by posting questions and getting answers. By not publicly discussing you are depriving others of solutions to problems they may encounter

In any case, you need 75 posts to use the PM facility.

Thats fine but there are cases where PM makes sense. Results will benefit all. As i mentioned i am under essentially an NDA but i can share privately for testing now.
Anyway thanks for the info.
g\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back