Contribute
Register

GC-ALPINE RIDGE in hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, latest from gigabyte, firmware reports as 16.xxx, NVM version is also 16. Everything else seems okay. Still no idea what to do. I'm playing around with system definitions right now, but no cigar and it doesn't even seem close.

@genzai, hm, thanks for the tip, could you point to somewhere where I can get it?

It seems there is a lot of confusion with the TB2-to-TB3 adapter from Apple. But things are simple:
First, the adapter works both ways.
Second, only a true Thunderbolt display can work with it. Apple previously used to sell the Cinema Display which looks exactly the same as the TB Display, but is purely mini-DisplayPort, not TB: it won't work. Only a video signal in the TB protocol will work. So you must verify your display is indeed Thunderbolt (little thunder icon on connector) and not the miniDP version (icon showing a square with two lines), especially since TB 1 & 2 use the physical connector of miniDP (TB 3 uses the connector of USB-C).

@genzai, found the gigabyte page that has 21 firmware hosted on it here, but apparently that FW is only suitable for motherboards. (Again, I am not using the native port on the motherboard. I am using the addon card that started this thread).

Did not look for a way to force installing it on the cards controller. Wouldn't make too much sense either way probably.

Again I would like to say, that it seems that there is partial functionality when I'm trying to use these devices in macOS, TB Harddrive mounts, but immediately unmount, usb ports power my mouse and keyboard, but don't except any input from them.

I'm looking forward to hearing other people and their experiences with getting macOS running with this card.

@genzai, found the gigabyte page that has 21 firmware hosted on it here, but apparently that FW is only suitable for motherboards. (Again, I am not using the native port on the motherboard. I am using the addon card that started this thread).

Did not look for a way to force installing it on the cards controller. Wouldn't make too much sense either way probably.

It would make sense, because that firmware is required for it to work properly in OS X. Motherboard integrated ports don't work until its flashed with the latest firmware. And that will be true of the card as well, it is using a very old firmware. What happens when you run the flash utility?
g\

@flux-capacitor Interesting news. I tried this method, but sadly it did not help. Checked with Hopper that the resulting code made sense. Anyway cool for Razer Core owners, I was wondering about the capabilities of that device and would be getting it when a new macbook pro comes onto my horizon.

@genzai Basically, this happens:
Screenshot (2).png

Also o use the Intel Thunderbolt FW Update tool with the bin that came with gigabytes update. That one was more explicit:
Screenshot 2016-11-17 20.29.46.png

I wrote gigabyte support, asking for a firmware update. Let's see if they respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back