- Apr 5, 2016
- GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 7
- GTX TITAN X
- , , , , ,
- Classic Mac
- , ,
- Mobile Phone
Either that user is mistaken or he used ASRock Thunderbolt AIC which does work on X299 Tomahawk AC board without BIOS settings.
The user only said that he got a Thunderbolt display to work. He did not say if the functions of the display that require PCIe tunneling worked (FireWire, USB, Ethernet, Camera). In fact, he said the display did not appear in the list of Thunderbolt devices in the Intel software which probably means the PCIe tunneling wasn't working.
A working Thunderbolt 3 add-in card should pass the following tests:
1) Display (DisplayPort pass thru, Thunderbolt display, Thunderbolt Dual Display adapter. This should alway work even when using the wrong slot or don't have a header connection or using a slot not connected to a computer)
2) USB (a mouse or keyboard or USB storage device up to 10 Gbps)
3) PCIe (a port such as USB, Ethernet, or FireWire in a Thunderbolt 3 Dock or Thunderbolt 3 Display should be useable).
4) Hotplug of all of the above (disconnect, reconnect)
5) Sleep/wake of all of the above
6) Chain of additional Thunderbolt device (and all of the above again with that device)
In my Hackintosh, I haven't done the work to get 4 and 5.